Another one bites the dust. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another one bites the dust.

37 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

I wonder if he'll be joining the baroness....

Katy Clark?

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just trying to keep up with the SNP on the infighting stakes.

They even lag pathetically behind at that!

Anas Sarwar is rumoured to be next in line for the gig.

Leonard honestly was not a bad bloke (unlike Murphy) and to his credit he did not get "personal" with the SNP as other Scottish Labour leaders have done in the past.

However he was admittedly a bit of a wet blanket and it was clear to see from day one that he was painfully out of his depth.

Sarwar would be a gift to the SNP.

Unless Labour's Northern Branch become a Scottish party and embrace independence, they will continue to remain an irrelevance. 1 MP, 3rd at Holyrood and Local Government and plummeting membership since 2014. 

Alternatively they should just formally merge with the Tories Northern Branch. 2 cheeks of the same erse. 

I'd like to know what Scottish Labour's membership figures are at the moment.

It was about eighteen thousand members about three or four years ago. Most of them probably aged over fifty. A lot of the auld Labour social clubs across the Central Belt have closed down in the last ten years.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Yip, thats exactly what I was thinking. She has been making herself seen as much as she can at the moment and its probably not without reason. 

I assume that now she's acting leader, Jackie will be replaced on the Salmond inquiry.  Just as its getting juicy - she'll be spewing.

59 minutes ago, McDange said:

Unless Labour's Northern Branch become a Scottish party and embrace independence, they will continue to remain an irrelevance. 1 MP, 3rd at Holyrood and Local Government and plummeting membership since 2014. 

Alternatively they should just formally merge with the Tories Northern Branch. 2 cheeks of the same erse. 

At the very least, they need to take a neutral position on Independence, that way people who support Independence but would be more aligned to Labour's other policies could vote for them with conscience that they wouldn't oppose a referendum.

I doubt that would be enough to see them overtake the SNP but it might be enough to tempt back some former Indy-supporting voters.  All their Yoons that've gone over to the Tories think they're already too soft on Indy.

I am trying to work out if the Labour branch leadership in Scotland has got worse with every successive appointment going back to Donald Dewar. Or did it just seem like it at the time? So many seem to have been 'crisis' appointments.

Dewar > McLeish > McConnell > Alexander > Gray > Lamont > Murphy > Dugdale > Leonard

Arguably Kezia was better than Jim fundily-mundily Murphy?

6 minutes ago, exile said:

I am trying to work out if the Labour branch leadership in Scotland has got worse with every successive appointment going back to Donald Dewar. Or did it just seem like it at the time? So many seem to have been 'crisis' appointments.

Dewar > McLeish > McConnell > Alexander > Gray > Lamont > Murphy > Dugdale > Leonard

Since Dewar its been one incompetent after another.   Interesting to wonder how things might have worked out for them had Dewar not died so suddenly and so early on in the life of the parliament.

Dugdale would probably have been a lot better if she got the job now rather than then and she'd had more experience.  Murphy was a complete disaster and probably as good an example of a party not being able to "read the room" as it is to see.   I still laugh at how he was being touted as the hammer of the SNP and all the Yessers were giving it the full Kevin Bridges - are ye, aye.

2 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Richard who ?

Obviously listening into the conversation in my kitchen. My wife's a Labour Party member and I told her Leonard had resigned. That was exactly her reaction.I guess he's a bit better known in Scotland but I thought her response said a lot.

39 minutes ago, exile said:

It has got worse every single time, I made the same point when Dugdale left. Its a sad day when Wendy Alexander looks almost competent. 

As much as I’ve enjoyed their demise, it isn’t good on a UK level, but hopefully Scotland can gain out of it. 

34 minutes ago, aaid said:

Dugdale would probably have been a lot better if she got the job now rather than then and she'd had more experience.

Think you’re being far too kind. Dugdale was a two faced incompetent liar, who wasn’t able to string a sentence together without mentioning independence or the SNP. She was worse than Davidson or Rennie, in being absolutely unable to speak about themselves or their parties goals, all they could speak about was the ‘enemy’.

Even Dugdales dad was embarrassed by her. 

5 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

Naw I meant Ruth the mooth, that cannae speak a word of truth.

Forgot about 'comrade ' Clark.

I thought that's who you meant, I just couldn't resist a wee dig at the Marxist Baroness.

"My ermine cloak is deepest red..."

3 hours ago, aaid said:

At the very least, they need to take a neutral position on Independence, that way people who support Independence but would be more aligned to Labour's other policies could vote for them with conscience that they wouldn't oppose a referendum.

I doubt that would be enough to see them overtake the SNP but it might be enough to tempt back some former Indy-supporting voters.  All their Yoons that've gone over to the Tories think they're already too soft on Indy.

Absolutely they should, but they almost certainly won't. 

Seemingly some of the party's wealthy doners threatened to withdraw funding if Leonard remained in post, which suggests SLab's next move will be to just double down on the hard-line unionism.

I reckon Starmer would prefer someone moderate and malleable in there, so it'll be Baillie or Sarwar. I've even seen Gordon Brown's name being mentioned! :lol:

The ironic thing is there was a poll out today which showed a slight increase in Labour's support, putting them ahead of the Tories in Scotland and back into second place!