Jump to content

Scott Banks


Recommended Posts

Researching it, it would appear that he was in the standby list for Wales u21 back in November. 

(Grandmother is from Newport)

Banks is knocking on the door at Crystal Palace and he's contributed 6 goals in 11 matches in EPL2.

Looks like we might lose a good young player.

20 year old, on the fringes of an EPL team. Apparently, that isn't deemed good enough to get into the Scotland u21 squad.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only way this can be solved is if admin make the emojis transparent as I’ve suggested a few times. There’s another board I’m on and if you hover over the emoji it reveals who left it so it is possible

Yeah. I made that suggestion, too. And of course it lead to two laughing emojis, three confused emojis and one crying emoji. Ah well, if it keeps the minority entertained. 😛 https://www.tamb

FAO The weirdo that follows me around and leaves laughing emojis on ALL of my posts. My previous post you CAN laugh at, as Scottish Football is a joke.

After reading this & doing the research I'm pretty angry. He really does sound a extremely promising player but should we be at all surprised with the coaching staff the sfa employ for our younger groups. 

     Scott Gemmill & even Billy Stark seem to have job security no matter what results they bring.

   I watched that must win under 21 game against Greece (albeit on a Sunday league level pitch) & it was blatantly obvious early on we lacked creativity but Gemmill kept Ferguson in a holding role for the full game & had Turnbull on the bench until the 72nd minute.

     Banks didn't even make that squad even though he was already performing very well & even captaining Crystal Palace's PL2 team.

I'm still pretty pissed about losing Harry Souttar who could potentially have solved one half of what's been a team weakness for 20 years & now this. 

 Sorry this is long winded(I'm rather well oiled😉) but surely if we can be so well informed about youngsters coming through then it's the least we could expect from the paid coaches.. Their job isn't just about picking & coaching  the younger groups it's about taking a personal interest & encouraging their development. I find it hard to believe a young lad born & bred in Scotland who has already been representing us, came through our performance schools would be considering defecting to Wales if Gemmill, Mackay, Stark or whoever had been in regular touch with him & taking a interest in his welfare as well as his performances. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkT_CCcjrs

(Watch from 2:50)

I've seen him being interviewed. He seems like a nice, grounded, lad. So I don't blame him in the least if he takes up the offer from Wales.

I agree. In the Greece match we had Middleton (Gerrard is so impressed by him as a winger that he's talking of converting him into a left back...) And McLellan. No disrespect to those two, but to be knocking on the first team door, at 20, supersedes their achievements.

With no one creative on the bench.

Then we have the u19s, with Kai Kennedy, who looked out of his depth at Championship level. Fine, he's only 18, but still.

It's too early to judge, but if Banks does become a mainstay at EPL level, Gemmil, Stark and Mackay have failed us, yet again.

At full level we have Fraser and Forrest and no one else. Johnstone is there, but his career has been blighted by injury... This far.

And don't even get me started on Harry Souttar. With our luck he'll turn into a Tartan Japp Stam*.

*Not saying that he definitely will.

 

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkT_CCcjrs

(Watch from 2:50)

I've seen him being interviewed. He seems like a nice, grounded, lad. So I don't blame him in the least if he takes up the offer from Wales.

I agree. In the Greece match we had Middleton (Gerrard is so impressed by him as a winger that he's talking of converting him into a left back...) And McLellan. No disrespect to those two, but to be knocking on the first team door, at 20, supersedes their achievements.

With no one creative on the bench.

Then we have the u19s, with Kai Kennedy, who looked out of his depth at Championship level. Fine, he's only 18, but still.

It's too early to judge, but if Banks does become a mainstay at EPL level, Gemmil, Stark and Mackay have failed us, yet again.

At full level we have Fraser and Forrest and no one else. Johnstone is there, but his career has been blighted by injury... This far.

And don't even get me started on Harry Souttar. With our luck he'll turn into a Tartan Japp Stam*.

*Not saying that he definitely will.

 

It wasn’t too long ago you were saying Kennedy and other under 19s players should be fast tracked into the senior squad 🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkT_CCcjrs

(Watch from 2:50)

I've seen him being interviewed. He seems like a nice, grounded, lad. So I don't blame him in the least if he takes up the offer from Wales.

I agree. In the Greece match we had Middleton (Gerrard is so impressed by him as a winger that he's talking of converting him into a left back...) And McLellan. No disrespect to those two, but to be knocking on the first team door, at 20, supersedes their achievements.

With no one creative on the bench.

Then we have the u19s, with Kai Kennedy, who looked out of his depth at Championship level. Fine, he's only 18, but still.

It's too early to judge, but if Banks does become a mainstay at EPL level, Gemmil, Stark and Mackay have failed us, yet again.

At full level we have Fraser and Forrest and no one else. Johnstone is there, but his career has been blighted by injury... This far.

And don't even get me started on Harry Souttar. With our luck he'll turn into a Tartan Japp Stam*.

*Not saying that he definitely will.

 

I would blame him if he took up Wales’ offer. He’s played for our youth teams and has every possibility of playing for our u21s in due course. Why should he spit the dummy? Middleton has played and scored in the Europa league so his inclusion was justified. I do agree the u21 lineups have been ridiculously negative but that doesn’t justify a 20 year old player jumping ship. It is unclear indeed if this has actually happened. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

He appears to be born and bred Scotland who has already played for our under 19s. I would be mortified if he picks wales. 

Me too. McGeady all over again.

Only thing I would say is it Gemmill and Stark to blame or is it some invisible suit at the SFA who is interfering?

Would not mind someone like Gordon Strachan in the role vacated by Mackay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Researching it, it would appear that he was in the standby list for Wales u21 back in November. 

(Grandmother is from Newport)

Banks is knocking on the door at Crystal Palace and he's contributed 6 goals in 11 matches in EPL2.

Looks like we might lose a good young player.

20 year old, on the fringes of an EPL team. Apparently, that isn't deemed good enough to get into the Scotland u21 squad.

 

Oh, and I suppose her dying wish is that her grandson plays for the ould country! Shades of McGreedy; at least he had the excuse that Eire had a better chance of qualifying than Scotland but that's not the case now. We must absolutely nail down the Dembeles and the anderson and the Banks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would blame him if he took up Wales’ offer. He’s played for our youth teams and has every possibility of playing for our u21s in due course. Why should he spit the dummy? Middleton has played and scored in the Europa league so his inclusion was justified. I do agree the u21 lineups have been ridiculously negative but that doesn’t justify a 20 year old player jumping ship. It is unclear indeed if this has actually happened. 

My thoughts too. He probably should have featured for the U21s already but he was playing for the U19s as recently as 2019, so he can't completely be off the radar.

The boy isn't even 20 yet and if he's seriously contemplating ditching Scotland already you have to wonder how committed he really is anyway.

29 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Me too. McGeady all over again.

Only thing I would say is it Gemmill and Stark to blame or is it some invisible suit at the SFA who is interfering?

Would not mind someone like Gordon Strachan in the role vacated by Mackay.

McGeady's heart seemingly was always set on playing for Ireland though, rightly or wrongly.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one would be really Annoying if it turns out to to be true as the Peformance Schools was set up to hopefully have kids devloping to become Futer internationlist for Scotland, not for bloody wales!

 

Questions have to be asked do the peformance school coaches or the sfa just forgot about them when they leave the program. Would like to think they would at least keep in contact with them and keep them in the loop if they decent.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I get the fact that we benefitted at the same time, this appears to happen far, far too often to be a simple coincidence.  The suspicion that people involved in the system are the problem is understandable, but whatever it is it needs getting to the bottom of.

There tends to be complete silence when this happens as well, they could be working feverishly behind the scenes for all we know, but find themselves in a position whereby there's nothing they can do.  However the impression they leave with the support is one of being completely asleep at the wheel and reacting only when it's too late.  No wonder people get frustrated.

*Caveat of course is that nothing has been confirmed in this case as yet; hopefully it's something and nothing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It wasn’t too long ago you were saying Kennedy and other under 19s players should be fast tracked into the senior squad 🤣

Yes, and you seemingly missed the point in me saying that.

My point was, the system we were playing at the time, we were going to fail with whomever we picked.

 

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The SFA are at the root of the problem. As always.

It's a good point that was made about the Performance Schools. I, too, thought that one of the points of the Performance Schools was to educate the kids, teach the kids, and keep their names on the database. Apparently not apparently, it's to turn them into good footballers, with an education underneath them, and then ignore them for other nations to cap.

Aaron Hickey was a Performance School graduate. He's a regular in Serie A, and yet the only time he's represented Scotland is once, at u17 level.

This is a complete shambles of a way of running a football organisation. Everyone in the SFA should be fired and replaced by competent people, along with football people.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In one of Banks's interviews he pinpointed one of the reasons why Scotland never produce top players, unless it's by accident: Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, James McFadden, etc.

“The majority of my time so far has been testing. It’s like a ‘body MOT’ where the doctors and sport scientists check out your fitness, mobility, reactions and tailor a programme for you based around that.

The amount of coaches is a big difference (Between Scotland and England). If I’m in the gym there’s three coaches just working me."

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

In one of Banks's interviews he pinpointed one of the reasons why Scotland never produce top players, unless it's by accident: Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, James McFadden, etc.

“The majority of my time so far has been testing. It’s like a ‘body MOT’ where the doctors and sport scientists check out your fitness, mobility, reactions and tailor a programme for you based around that.

The amount of coaches is a big difference (Between Scotland and England). If I’m in the gym there’s three coaches just working me."

He’s comparing what it was like as a youth at Dundee United to a player playing as a professional for an English Premier League club.
 

Obviously they’ll have more opportunity to have sports scientists and more time with coaches etc. Dundee United would love to do all this too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

He’s comparing what it was like as a youth at Dundee United to a player playing as a professional for an English Premier League club.
 

Obviously they’ll have more opportunity to have sports scientists and more time with coaches etc. Dundee United would love to do all this too. 

No. He we talking about his time at Dundee United, as a whole. He was a part of the first team and pre-season training at United before he left, so he probably got a gist of the general situation.

It wouldn't cost millions to hire extra coaches, etc, and replicate what the big clubs do, but in a far smaller scale. All it would take is professionalism and a clear vision.

Dundee United would love to do this? Maybe they should grow up, sell their stadium, groundshare with the club down the street, and maybe they'd have enough pennies in the bank to do it.

But only small clubs groundshare, like AC Milan with Inter Milan and Roma with Lazio...

Celtic and Rangers could easily replicate what the EPL clubs do.

Celtic missed a trick when Rangers had to rebuild. Celtic should've dotted youth academies all over Scotland, hired top coaches and sports scientists, etc, and they would've ended up with an Ajax style conveyer belt of talent. But apparently, short term gain outweighed their long term targets, as they spent tens of millions on foreign players.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

See Palace signed him for 300k, another reason why our clubs can never improve when promising youngsters almost inevitably leave for basically nothing.
 

Where is the incentive to produce your own players?

Apparently selling your ground and ground sharing will solve the problem.

 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

This. 

Its on him if he accepts a cap from Wales. Good luck to him if he does. 

There arent enough facts to confirm what this young lad wants to do. If he takes the huff and picks wales because he wasnt picked for us, well that says a lot about him. I am sure he will be on the SFAs radar.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

See Palace signed him for 300k, another reason why our clubs can never improve when promising youngsters almost inevitably leave for basically nothing.
 

Where is the incentive to produce your own players?

I think it's primarily a Scottish problem. Jado Sancho left Manchester City to Borussia Dortmund at 16 years old for £8 million.

Why aren't clubs grabbing Ajax kids for next to nothing? 

When Ajax sell their youngsters, they're sold for tens of millions.

Look at Dinamo Zagreb. A team from a country of 4 million people and yet the club constantly develops around 200 youngsters per year, at a cost of £1m, uearly.

They've produced Marko Pjaca of Juventus, Real Madrid’s Luka Modric, Atletico Madrid's Sime Vrsaljko, with Mateo Kovacic, Milan Badelj and Vedran Corluka are fellow graduates.

Meanwhile, in Scotland, Aberdeen shell out £800k for a right-back (Ronald Hernandez). He's not even played 10 matches and they're trying to sell him. And, they're about to lose 23-year-old Scott Wright for nothing in the Summer.

Brilliant way to run a football club. They haven't learned from their Paul Bernard experience.

Plastic pitches, two clubs pretty much on the same street, the champions going away on holiday... During a pandemic, 4 leagues of 42 clubs in a nation of 5 million, performance schools only being introduced in 2012 (when other nations did it in the 80s and 90s)

All in all, Scottish football is not run professionally. That's me being kind.

 

 

 

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...