Scott Banks - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Banks

Taylor1996

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

There arent enough facts to confirm what this young lad wants to do. If he takes the huff and picks wales because he wasnt picked for us, well that says a lot about him. I am sure he will be on the SFAs radar.

That is true. Hopefully he gets a call up and plays for our u21’s next game 

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

FAO The weirdo that follows me around and leaves laughing emojis on ALL of my posts.

My previous post you CAN laugh at, as Scottish Football is a joke.

Only way this can be solved is if admin make the emojis transparent as I’ve suggested a few times. There’s another board I’m on and if you hover over the emoji it reveals who left it so it is possible.

We’d also find out who the weirdo is that follows you around and leaves an upvote on ALL your posts :lol:

37 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Only way this can be solved is if admin make the emojis transparent as I’ve suggested a few times. There’s another board I’m on and if you hover over the emoji it reveals who left it so it is possible.

We’d also find out who the weirdo is that follows you around and leaves an upvote on ALL your posts :lol:

Yeah. I made that suggestion, too. And of course it lead to two laughing emojis, three confused emojis and one crying emoji.

Ah well, if it keeps the minority entertained. 😛

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/11565-board-changes-and-upgrades/&do=findComment&comment=619824

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There's no mystery to that one. It's himself. Surprised he doesn't get more of them. 

Ah, alright, person I've never talked to before. Makes a bunch of sense. 

4 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

Im amazed anyone gives a fuck

14 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

See Palace signed him for 300k, another reason why our clubs can never improve when promising youngsters almost inevitably leave for basically nothing.

Where is the incentive to produce your own players?

He was coming to end of his contract. Had just got into first team at Tannadice and the story is his agent wanted him to be paid at such a level that would make him the highest earner. At the time he was still 17! United obviously didn’t play ball and his agent told him to forget about signing a contract and then alerted clubs down south. We did well to get £300k since if he had left a few months later, we would have got nothing. Hopefully there’s a sell on clause. In the 2 or 3 games he did play in the 1st team at the start of that season (he was frozen out when he decided not to sign a new contract until leaving in January ) he did look something special and I really hope he gets picked in next under 21 squad. Palace fans rave about him on Twitter and want him in the first team squad now, but apparently Hodgson is not one who bloods youngsters often. 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

He was coming to end of his contract. Had just got into first team at Tannadice and the story is his agent wanted him to be paid at such a level that would make him the highest earner. At the time he was still 17! United obviously didn’t play ball and his agent told him to forget about signing a contract and then alerted clubs down south. We did well to get £300k since if he had left a few months later, we would have got nothing. Hopefully there’s a sell on clause. In the 2 or 3 games he did play in the 1st team at the start of that season (he was frozen out when he decided not to sign a new contract until leaving in January ) he did look something special and I really hope he gets picked in next under 21 squad. Palace fans rave about him on Twitter and want him in the first team squad now, but apparently Hodgson is not one who bloods youngsters often. 

Didn't something similar happen with Scott Allan?  These agents are a pain in the arse.

Regardless of whether he chooses Wales or not, it has been evident for a very long time that we need a complete rejig at youth level. Gemmell and Stark are dinosaurs and playing honking route one football, that doesn't suit our players. They also have a tendency to stick with what they started a campaign with. I mean it took Hickey until November to finally get a u21 call up, all the while we where using Harvie who was at Ayr and then Reading who replaced him at Ayr. Why was either let alone both ahead of a younger better player, playing at a higher level. That is just madness, we should be fast tracking these lads, not making them pay their dues at lower age groups. When the new campaign starts for the u21s what's the betting you'll have guys like Reading ahead of better younger players at a higher level like Doig and Reid.

I honestly hope to god some club is stupid enough to offer Gemmell a job.

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Regardless of whether he chooses Wales or not, it has been evident for a very long time that we need a complete rejig at youth level. Gemmell and Stark are dinosaurs and playing honking route one football, that doesn't suit our players. They also have a tendency to stick with what they started a campaign with. I mean it took Hickey until November to finally get a u21 call up, all the while we where using Harvie who was at Ayr and then Reading who replaced him at Ayr. Why was either let alone both ahead of a younger better player, playing at a higher level. That is just madness, we should be fast tracking these lads, not making them pay their dues at lower age groups. When the new campaign starts for the u21s what's the betting you'll have guys like Reading ahead of better younger players at a higher level like Doig and Reid.

I honestly hope to god some club is stupid enough to offer Gemmell a job.

Agree. Stark especially, it beggars belief how he has a job

And there’s a very strong case for Hickey to be in the next squad ahead of Taylor, yet he’s only just came on the under 21 radar as you say. Madness

When Stark keeps getting jobs at the SFA you have to wonder if there's a clear and present blueprint.

He started off as u21 manager for six years, managed the senior team in one friendly, and then he became u19 manager for four years (and counting).

It's strange. Aren't you supposed to work your way up the ladder instead of down? What next, u17s, then schoolboys and then a PE Teacher at a primary school?

It's the football coaching version of Benjamin Button.

He should be fired. Along with Gemmil. Neither have the credentials to manager youngsters, which is evident in their playing philosophy.

I know that it's not a good time for a reshuffle (pandemic), but it's time for the SFA to bring in some football people into the boardroom and use their knowledge to come up with a blueprint for the future of Scottish football. A clear structure has to be put in place where the performance school kids are all taught a way and a system that every level, from the schoolboys to the senior's, play. 

We need to have an identity.

And as far as scouting goes. Not being facetious, but, we have our fingers on the pulse more than the SFA do. I remember a couple years ago when someone here flagged up Scott Banks when he was at Clyde, same with Dykes and Robertson whilst at Queen's Park, Lewis Neilson at Dundee United. I bet people here have watched Gauld, etc, this season more than the people that are being paid to watch them.

And Harry Souttar joining Stoke at 16/17 years old, and yet, I bet the SFA weren't away.

Talking of Dundee United. With the two Souttar's, Gauld, Banks and now Neilson (and probably a few others on the horizon) it would appear that they're doing something right.

It's also a culture thing.

Remember when Angelo Alessio was in charge at Kilmarnock and Kirk Broadfoot came out and blasted his coaching methods. Error... Yeah. Good enough for Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, Immobile, etc, but not good enough for Scott Boyd, Alan Power, Rory McKenzie, etc.

Same thing happened at Hearts with Ian Cathro and Rangers will Paul Le Guen.

Arsene Wenger banned chocolate, desserts, tea and even ketchup at Arsenal. The players adapted... With some negotiation and compromise. Paul Le Guen banned Monster Munch and he was sent packing.

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's also a culture thing.

Remember when Angelo Alessio was in charge at Kilmarnock and Kirk Broadfoot came out and blasted his coaching methods. Error... Yeah. Good enough for Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, Immobile, etc, but not good enough for Scott Boyd, Alan Power, Rory McKenzie, etc.

Same thing happened at Hearts with Ian Cathro and Rangers will Paul Le Guen.

Arsene Wenger banned chocolate, desserts, tea and even ketchup at Arsenal. The players adapted... With some negotiation and compromise. Paul Le Guen banned Monster Munch and he was sent packing.

Taylor, in the absence of a response, you're so close to just debating with yourself! 

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

When Stark keeps getting jobs at the SFA you have to wonder if there's a clear and present blueprint.

He started off as u21 manager for six years, managed the senior team in one friendly, and then he became u19 manager for four years (and counting).

It's strange. Aren't you supposed to work your way up the ladder instead of down? What next, u17s, then schoolboys and then a PE Teacher at a primary school?

It's the football coaching version of Benjamin Button.

He should be fired. Along with Gemmil. Neither have the credentials to manager youngsters, which is evident in their playing philosophy.

I know that it's not a good time for a reshuffle (pandemic), but it's time for the SFA to bring in some football people into the boardroom and use their knowledge to come up with a blueprint for the future of Scottish football. A clear structure has to be put in place where the performance school kids are all taught a way and a system that every level, from the schoolboys to the senior's, play. 

We need to have an identity.

And as far as scouting goes. Not being facetious, but, we have our fingers on the pulse more than the SFA do. I remember a couple years ago when someone here flagged up Scott Banks when he was at Clyde, same with Dykes and Robertson whilst at Queen's Park, Lewis Neilson at Dundee United. I bet people here have watched Gauld, etc, this season more than the people that are being paid to watch them.

And Harry Souttar joining Stoke at 16/17 years old, and yet, I bet the SFA weren't away.

Talking of Dundee United. With the two Souttar's, Gauld, Banks and now Neilson (and probably a few others on the horizon) it would appear that they're doing something right.

I can't wait for neilson having to pay his dues in the u19s before a u21 call up in 2/3 years time.

Fans on here cant have it both ways. We constantly here fans on here say that playing 1st team football is the most important thing and what level doesnt matter. Ie Shankland for a call up when scoring in the Championship over McBurnie not scoring in the EPL.

If playing 1st team football is all that matters then we cant complain when Gemmil and Stark pick guys playing for Ayr etc over guys who are playing in EPL2 development sides.

Ive said for years that we need to start gambling on boys at big clubs over taking the safe bet of guys who play in Scotland. Over the past 30 years we have had loads of good players but zero exceptional players. Its exceptional players that make the difference at international level.

You’d hope that someone from the SFA would maybe speak to the lad and let him know he is still in their thoughts.  The next cycle for the 21’s begins this year and Banks should be involved.  Obviously if he has developed a love for leeks and Max Boyce then that’s too bad for us.

On 1/13/2021 at 4:14 AM, Taylor1996 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkT_CCcjrs

(Watch from 2:50)

I've seen him being interviewed. He seems like a nice, grounded, lad. So I don't blame him in the least if he takes up the offer from Wales.

I agree. In the Greece match we had Middleton (Gerrard is so impressed by him as a winger that he's talking of converting him into a left back...) And McLellan. No disrespect to those two, but to be knocking on the first team door, at 20, supersedes their achievements.

With no one creative on the bench.

Then we have the u19s, with Kai Kennedy, who looked out of his depth at Championship level. Fine, he's only 18, but still.

It's too early to judge, but if Banks does become a mainstay at EPL level, Gemmil, Stark and Mackay have failed us, yet again.

At full level we have Fraser and Forrest and no one else. Johnstone is there, but his career has been blighted by injury... This far.

And don't even get me started on Harry Souttar. With our luck he'll turn into a Tartan Japp Stam*.

*Not saying that he definitely will.

I agree with a lot of what you say here,  I don't like slating any player but i think it's quite obvious due to how their careers have stagnated that players such as Middleton, Maguire, McLennan &  2 or 3 others who started in Greece will never be good enough to step up to senior level yet they still stayed mainstays of the under 21 team during qualification while players with much more potential such Banks, Soutter, Turnbull & even Nathan Patterson where either benched or not selected at all. 

Surely forward thinking associations don't let that happen. 

As for Banks he still has time to commit, though maybe due to the style of player he is if he has been getting tapped up by the likes of Bale & Giggs so no amount of online love from the TA will make the lad see sense😬

Edited by theabsentee