What are the keys to qualification for Qatar 2022? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What are the keys to qualification for Qatar 2022?

Sheach

While we're all super excited for Euro 2020 - out qualification campaign for Qatar 2022 starts first, in March.

I think we've got a really good chance of doing well in this group.

I've broken down the keys to succeeding in this group and compared it to our campaigns of the past.

I'd be really interested to hear what you all think? 

Could we qualify through the Playoffs again? Or is our best chance winning this group? 

https://www.thetartanscarf.com/post/how-can-scotland-qualify-for-qatar-2022

We do have a good chance with this group though having the triple headers is a big difference to previous campaigns. Would feel more confident if we had a stronger forward line on form. Israel away will definitely be a key game,  a win there will make a big difference to our chances. 

Getting McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay in the midfield. By the end of the campaign I expect that to be as good a middle three as you’ll find anywhere. I also think if we can get a bit more dynamism in the right wing-back position without weakening the defence, goals will be easier to come by. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

This is a really good article. Thanks for putting it together.

One other analysis that I think would be interesting to see would be what the percentage of games drawn was for teams in the top two positions over the last couple of decades, and how that compares to Scotland.

I suspect our percentage is higher. I think one of the biggest failures over Scottish management over the years has been that the coach has sent the players out with the mentality that a draw away from home (or at home against a decent team) is a good result. We've very rarely chased a game when it's even with 20 minutes to go. In the end of the day that's 2 points lost and 1 point gained. Arithmetically speaking, that's not likely to help us qualify.

If we're going for top spot in this group (I agree that it's our best chance to qualify) we ought to treat every game as a six pointer rather than a must not lose.

A plus is the away game in Israel before the Euro’s start !! 
The starting XI and squad will be playing for the 3points obviously but also a place in the squad come June...... 

110% commitment 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿