Free Beer - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

A few favourites in there, and I like the sound of Profanity Stout :beer2:

If you like their other stouts then you'll be in for a treat I reckon.  Had a couple Christmas Eve and lovely but Santa's footprints had a bit of strange gate afterwards.

Sapian and the guest wheat beer are fantastic if you haven't tried them before and tick your usual boxes.  

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

If you like their other stouts then you'll be in for a treat I reckon.  Had a couple Christmas Eve and lovely but Santa's footprints had a bit of strange gate afterwards.

Sapian and the guest wheat beer are fantastic if you haven't tried them before and tick your usual boxes.  

Oh no, £98 quid for a box 😆

Trouble is, that wouldn't last!   My favourite beers are ridiculously strong Belgian stouts (10-12%), so usually sent to bed early.   Had a nice mocha from Aldis the other day, but can't remember what it was.   Will have to head up there again and find out...

1 hour ago, phart said:

I had some beer for first time in ages. Leffe Blonde was really good, what sort of beer is that and what is similiar?

If it's a golden beer you're after Wainwrights & Hobgoblin gold are widely available. Innis & Gunn do a nice golden lager beer. That's been getting harder to get here though so I don't know if there's been production issues during the lockdowns. 

16 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Oh no, £98 quid for a box 😆

Trouble is, that wouldn't last!   My favourite beers are ridiculously strong Belgian stouts (10-12%), so usually sent to bed early.   Had a nice mocha from Aldis the other day, but can't remember what it was.   Will have to head up there again and find out...

When we were in Metz a few years ago for the football me and Mr Tidy were in one of those bars where there are loads of tables with beer pumps and you top up your card at the bar then pour your own . The barmaid took us round , describing each beer then said ‘ I will now show you the low alcohol beer’ .
It was 5.5%  ! 😂 

Mr Tidy thought he had died and gone to heaven. The french  were sitting with small glasses sipping away and the scotland fans were filling pint glasses of 9.5% beer 🙄😁

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

When we were in Metz a few years ago for the football me and Mr Tidy were in one of those bars where there are loads of tables with beer pumps and you top up your card at the bar then pour your own . The barmaid took us round , describing each beer then said ‘ I will now show you the low alcohol beer’ .
It was 5.5%  ! 😂 

Mr Tidy thought he had died and gone to heaven. The french  were sitting with small glasses sipping away and the scotland fans were filling pint glasses of 9.5% beer 🙄😁

I remember that bar despite being there during 'happy hour'.   For that the beer wasn't half price, it was double the quantity for the same price.   An important distinction :wacko:

29 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

That trip to Metz seems a lifetime ago. What a nightmare getting there & home with strikes & floods. One thing that stands out was finding a nice Italian restaurant & getting carbonara. The French way was to serve, then crack the egg over it & let you stir it in. Never seen that before. 

You're right enough, a different life 😖. We were heading back to Paris on the Sunday hoping to get some tickets for the Murray Djokovic final not realising how far away Roland Garros was so we just watched it in the pub 😄

Edited by bonzo

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

You're right enough, a different life 😖. We were heading back to Paris on the Sunday hoping to get some tickets for the Murray Djokovic final not realising how far away Roland Garros was so we just watched it in the pub 😄

I think we watched it in Luxembourg. Next door on the map.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, scottincarlisle said:

If it's a golden beer you're after Wainwrights & Hobgoblin gold are widely available. Innis & Gunn do a nice golden lager beer. That's been getting harder to get here though so I don't know if there's been production issues during the lockdowns. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Cheers peeps I'm almost at the end of my diet now so fancy some nice beer, and might as well try something new!

14 minutes ago, phart said:

Cheers peeps I'm almost at the end of my diet now so fancy some nice beer, and might as well try something new!

Strong beers, if I remember my local back home would only sell Leffe as a half pint, funny to then see it being sold at a rock festival in Belgium by the pint 

3 hours ago, phart said:

So I went with some Leffe Brune, fuck me losing over 150lb and stopping drinking for a year has fucked up my tolerance. I'm 1 big bottle in and feeling it pretty heavy.

Should've had a Corona with a slice of lime and got back on gradually 😄.   Might have put the beef back on with hunners o' cheesy nachos though?

14 hours ago, phart said:

So I went with some Leffe Brune, fuck me losing over 150lb and stopping drinking for a year has fucked up my tolerance. I'm 1 big bottle in and feeling it pretty heavy.

One of them is equivalent to about 50ml of pure alcohol. That's about 5 vodkas or 3 cans of lager. That's a third of your weekly recommended allowance. I got caught out in Paris once drinking pints of some really good beer. I didn't know at the time, but it turned out it was about 8%. I was wasted after about three pints.

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Should've had a Corona with a slice of lime and got back on gradually 😄.   Might have put the beef back on with hunners o' cheesy nachos though?

I did wake up 5lb heavier today than i did yesterday!