Future number 1 contenders. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Future number 1 contenders.

theabsentee

Someone mentioned starting a future goalie thread so even though I'm not sure there's enough talent coming through to warrant one here we go. 

It's a good move for Liam Kelly to be getting a move for regular football but for me he isn't big or commanding enough to be a future international keeper. 

I hope Marshall stays on for at least one more campaign after the Euros as i dont think any of keepers mentioned recently are capable of stepping up. Jon Mclaughlin seems a confident & solid keeper so probably wouldn't let us down short term but he certainly isn't at the level we've been spoiled with for years. 

Best long term prospects i can think of are Robbie McCrorie, all though he has currently lost his first team place at Livi he has the physical presence i like to see a keeper. 

There's 2 young Scottish keepers on Norwich's books, the one that sounds most promising is Archie Mair, 19 years old, 6 5 & currently out on loan at Kings Lynn Norwich signed him from Aberdeen. Angus Gunn's(sorry had to mention him 😉) dad seems to think he has a good chance. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/bryan-gunns-high-hopes-for-former-aberdeen-kid-archie-mair-after-young-keepers-first-year-at-norwich-city/amp/

You forgot about Ross Doohan and Cieran Slicker.

Steve Clarke and Stevie Woods have said they would have capped both McCrorie and Doohan last year if we had had any friendly matches.

Zander Clark and Craig MacGillivray also can't be ruled out of future squad selection either. MacGillivray has been playing very well lately.

Just a thought , but if Doohan is highly regarded and cannot get a place at Ross County because of another Scottish goalie then surely that other Scottish goalie should be in consideration.

Step forward Mr Ross Laidlaw. Not sure he is at the level but neither should be Doohan.

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If Craig MacGillivray is playing Championship football with Portsmouth next season then it would be stupid not to give him a couple of games and see if he is up to it. The lad has said in the past that he is really keen to play for us.

I don't know why he is still being touted, he was 1st touted about 2 seasons ago, and he is still playing League 1. Not good enough. McCrorie or Doohan have to progress quickly or we are up shit creek when Marshall retires. McLaughlin and McGilllivray are not the standard required, certainly nowhere near the standard we have had over the last 10 to 15 years 

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

I don't know why he is still being touted, he was 1st touted about 2 seasons ago, and he is still playing League 1. Not good enough. McCrorie or Doohan have to progress quickly or we are up shit creek when Marshall retires. McLaughlin and McGilllivray are not the standard required, certainly nowhere near the standard we have had over the last 10 to 15 years 

What a poor argument. The same kind of argument that one or two people used on here to disparage Lyndon Dykes before he made his debut.

MacGillivray was the subject of bids from other clubs last year (one allegedly was from Rangers) last year which were all rejected by Portsmouth. He was then frozen out of the team for a while after refusing to sign a new contract. I don't know if he did eventually sign a new contract but he is back playing for them now.

Seen his recent form ? He's kept several clean sheets in a row. If he's playing Championship football regularly next year and McCrorie and Doohan are stuck in the Old Firm reserves then MacGillivray has to be looked at.

Remember that Graham Alexander had spent most of his career playing fourth/third/second division football in England before he finally made his Scotland debut aged was either twenty nine or thirty. He became a useful player for us.

Macgillivray is only 28 and could be playing championship football next season. Realistically championship and spl goalkeepers are our level atm so Macgillivray could easily keep turning up in squads for the next 10 years. Might not be first choice but we will need guys like him for squads. 

Marshall should be around for another few years so hopefully we see a new talent emerge or guys like mcrorie or doohan step up a level or 2. 

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What a poor argument. The same kind of argument that one or two people used on here to disparage Lyndon Dykes before he made his debut.

MacGillivray was the subject of bids from other clubs last year (one allegedly was from Rangers) last year which were all rejected by Portsmouth. He was then frozen out of the team for a while after refusing to sign a new contract. I don't know if he did eventually sign a new contract but he is back playing for them now.

Seen his recent form ? He's kept several clean sheets in a row. If he's playing Championship football regularly next year and McCrorie and Doohan are stuck in the Old Firm reserves then MacGillivray has to be looked at.

Remember that Graham Alexander had spent most of his career playing fourth/third/second division football in England before he finally made his Scotland debut aged was either twenty nine or thirty. He became a useful player for us.

I'll trust your judgement on Macgillivray, i didn't mention him because I've never seen him play. When I've little or no knowledge of a player i try to search fans forums for opinions but found next to no recent mentions of him on the Pompey form. I wasn't aware Rangers & other clubs considered a bid with that in mind there's a chance he could be at the level of Mclaughlin or with a bit of luck even higher

The young lad Slicker from Man City again hard to find any info on apart from the story about how he qualifies for us . Think he is only 17/18 so plenty time to monitor him. 

As for Doohan, I'm sure has a chance of having a very decent career but i just dont fancy him making the level we require. He looks rather short & lightweight to me though McGregor, Goram & Leighton certainly weren't giants which i suppose blows my theory out of the water! 

I've often wondered why Zander Clark has never been called him, when I've saw him he looks very decent but no disrespect to any St.Johnstone fans if he was that good why has he never moved on? 

It's a a assive issue. Much bigger than our right-back issues.

When Gordon and Marshall retire, I can only see Craig MacGillivray on the horizon.

Xander Clark and Ross Doohan are nowhere good enough to be number one.

I've seen Slicker a few times. Too early to judge. He won the English youth Cup with Manchester City (making a howler leading to Chelsea scoring) and he was alright.

And McRorie looks like he's regressed.

Slicker played as there no1 keeper in the papa johns trophy against league 1 and 2 teams, notice Rangers have a lot of keepers in the scotland teams u21s and lower age groups with a few on loan. As well as Mccrorie there is Hogarth and Wright on loan plus kinnear who was in Scotland under 21 squads. Mair at Norwich also seems highly rated. So hopefully 1 or 2 or more play at a high level.