Carpets - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right, boring topic of the new year alert, but this is the Anything Goes sub-forum so I'm sure there's no complaints.

I have zero DIY prowess, know-how or competency and need help from those who do. Recently turned a room in my house into an office / sitting room type thing. It's for relaxing in and has sofabed, bookshelves etc, with my desk and office chair in one corner. I got a new carpet fitted before the bookshelves were fitted. Anyway, to cut a boring story short, it's starting to ruffle near where my desk is. I realise it's to do with my chair and the castors. I put an off-cut of the carpet under my chair in order to protect it but obviously it's not done the trick as I've now noticed this ruffling. I've ordered a proper carpet protector which I'll start to use, but my question is, how do I sort the ruffling already there?

From looking online, solutions all involve removing furniture from the room before fixing it. I can't do this with my bookshelves there, all along one wall onto which they are fixed. Anyone got any solutions? It's not a major problem yet but I don't want it getting any worse.

First-world problems, middle class TA etc. I understand all that, but would like this sorted.

Fire away.

47 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Personally, I'd go back to the carpet fitter & ask them to correct it. If it had been stretched correctly that shouldn't have happened as far as I know.

Agree with this. Sounds like your carpet’s not been fitted correctly, might be made worse if you haven’t got the correct type of castors on your chair. Sorry if this sounds patronising but you get castors for hard floors and different ones for carpets.

4 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Agree with this. Sounds like your carpet’s not been fitted correctly, might be made worse if you haven’t got the correct type of castors on your chair. Sorry if this sounds patronising but you get castors for hard floors and different ones for carpets.

Not patronising at all. I am, indeed, an imbecile and may have an inappropriate office chair. Will try the fitter.