Tierney and New Dilemmas - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney and New Dilemmas

Third Lanark

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's our current system at the moment, though. A back three and a double-pivot of Jack and McGregor. Pretty much allowing the wingbacks, attacking midfielder and two strikers to attack:

3-2-1-2

It's an interesting variant on 3-5-2. One, I suspect, Steve Clarke took from Atalanta.

Yes, you’re correct about Jack and McGregor when we’re building from the back. I think it requires wing backs to be quite far up the pitch or it’s ultra defensive, so ideally the wing backs would be able to use it well, and have a bit of pace. If they didn’t and dropped a bit deeper, goals would be hard to come by. I suppose that could be countered using the marauding centre half approach with Tierney and McTominay. If we’re sticking with the current system we’re not really using some of our players to their best advantage, but if it means winning games, fine. 

On another note, how to see Hickey’s games? 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, you’re correct about Jack and McGregor when we’re building from the back. I think it requires wing backs to be quite far up the pitch or it’s ultra defensive, so ideally the wing backs would be able to use it well, and have a bit of pace. If they didn’t and dropped a bit deeper, goals would be hard to come by. I suppose that could be countered using the marauding centre half approach with Tierney and McTominay. If we’re sticking with the current system we’re not really using some of our players to their best advantage, but if it means winning games, fine. 

On another note, how to see Hickey’s games? 

That's why our current system is so nuanced and versatile. If we lose the balll up the pitch, and our wingbacks are caught too far up to ever be able to get back, either an anchorman can cover the space vacated by the wingback, or the LCB or RCB can plug the hole, with the opposite wingback dropping into a fullback position.

Under George Graham, Arsenal used to have their back four "on a rope", so if one full back got forward, the two centre-backs and full back would slide back into, essentially, a three.

What do you mean? The Bologna matches?

For past matches (combination of highlights and full matches): https://hdmatches.net/?s=Bologna or http://www.replaymatches.net/search?q=Bologna&m=1

For future matches: https://www.stream2watch.is or https://liveru.sx (A VPN is recommended)

52 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's why our current system is so nuanced and versatile. If we lose the balll up the pitch, and our wingbacks are caught too far up to ever be able to get back, either an anchorman can cover the space vacated by the wingback, or the LCB or RCB can plug the hole, with the opposite wingback dropping into a fullback position.

Under George Graham, Arsenal used to have their back four "on a rope", so if one full back got forward, the two centre-backs and full back would slide back into, essentially, a three.

What do you mean? The Bologna matches?

For past matches (combination of highlights and full matches): https://hdmatches.net/?s=Bologna or http://www.replaymatches.net/search?q=Bologna&m=1

For future matches: https://www.stream2watch.is or https://liveru.sx (A VPN is recommended)

Thanks, I want to see if Hickey is up to it. I’m sure he will be eventually but I’m not sure of his physique yet. 

This 3-2-1-2 has got me thinking. It could be the way not only to get Tierney and Robertson into the same team but also to increase our scoring potential. So - how about if you have Jack/Gilmour and Tierney as the 2 'pivots' as Taylor calls them. McTominAY could move forward from the back three to form an attacking mid 3 when we are on the ball, and Turnbull could be the '1' just behind 2 strikers, say, Nisbet and Griffiths.

Means leaving McGinn out, unless you pair him with Tierney. This way Kieren could play in front of Robertson, moving out wide when needed. Therefore we maximise the attacking potential of McTom and Tierney both.

Harsh on Dykes, Fraser and McGregor but a good problem to have.

That formation could easily morph into a 4-2-3-1 which most teams seem to favour now or even 4-3-3. 

Then we just need to find the two most reliable centre backs who stay central and play it simple. I'd go for Gallagher and Cooper. SOD at right wing back may be our most under-rated player; he looked solid recently against Rangers, can score now and then and has a decent long throw.

With both Turnbull and Griffiths in we have 2 free kick experts as well.

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

This 3-2-1-2 has got me thinking. It could be the way not only to get Tierney and Robertson into the same team but also to increase our scoring potential. So - how about if you have Jack/Gilmour and Tierney as the 2 'pivots' as Taylor calls them. McTominAY could move forward from the back three to form an attacking mid 3 when we are on the ball, and Turnbull could be the '1' just behind 2 strikers, say, Nisbet and Griffiths.

Means leaving McGinn out, unless you pair him with Tierney. This way Kieren could play in front of Robertson, moving out wide when needed. Therefore we maximise the attacking potential of McTom and Tierney both.

That formation could easily morph into a 4-2-3-1 which most teams seem to favour now or even 4-3-3. 

Then we just need to find the two most reliable centre backs who stay central and play it simple. I'd go for Gallagher and Cooper. SOD at right wing back may be our most under-rated player; he looked solid recently against Rangers, can score now and then and has a decent long throw.

I’m glad you are not picking the team...   leave out Mcginn!?  Probably been our best player recently.  Turnbull is miles behind him. Why shackle tierney in a holding role... no better and arguably worse than left centre half.

griffiths and nisbet up front? Griffiths might just scrape in to the squad.  Our strikers will be dykes at centre forward with Fraser or Christie at inside forward.

19 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Thanks, I want to see if Hickey is up to it. I’m sure he will be eventually but I’m not sure of his physique yet. 

You're welcome. If you want a VPN get one on eBay. I bought a subscription to NordVPN for £3, about a year and a half ago, it's still going strong.

The last time I watched him in a full match was against Inter Milan. Funnily enough, he played left wingback. His error lead to a goal, but apart from that, he was excellent. What struck me about him was his composure on the ball and his athleticism.

Defensively and physically he'll improve, but there's making there of a very good player.

18 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I'd definitely rather have Tierney as one of the double-pivots than McGregor or McTominy. McGregor has won me over in the past few months, but I see him more as an attacking midfielder than an anchornan. And any excuse to move McTominay further forward is a good excuse. Having his physicality in midfield would scare the crap out of most countries, especially the smaller ones.

With the emergence of Porteous, Turnbull, Gilmour, etc, we now have something that we haven't had in ages; choices.

Out of interest, who misspelled McTominay? 

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd definitely rather have Tierney as one of the double-pivots than McGregor or McTominy. McGregor has won me over in the past few months, but I see him more as an attacking midfielder than an anchornan. And any excuse to move McTominay further forward is a good excuse. Having his physicality in midfield would scare the crap out of most countries, especially the smaller ones.

With the emergence of Porteous, Turnbull, Gilmour, etc, we now have something that we haven't had in ages; choices.

Out of interest, who misspelled McTominay? 

Wasn't you, although you miss-spelled it in that post!😁

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I’m glad you are not picking the team...   leave out Mcginn!?  Probably been our best player recently.  Turnbull is miles behind him. Why shackle tierney in a holding role... no better and arguably worse than left centre half.

griffiths and nisbet up front? Griffiths might just scrape in to the squad.  Our strikers will be dykes at centre forward with Fraser or Christie at inside forward.

I'm glad too. Now you tell me who is going to do the scoring with the non-scoring Dykes at CF and Fraser (bit-part at Newcastle) leading the line? We could have McGinn and Tierney as our double pivot (it need not be negative) as McGinn is playing deeper with Villa these days. Maybe that's why he doesn't score nowadays. Turnbull I see as playing just behind the front two and he's been scoring freely recently. Griffiths - though I hate his character - is our most natural scorer. Nisbet tbh I'm still not sure about as he's not played anyone away from the SPL.

42 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm glad too. Now you tell me who is going to do the scoring with the non-scoring Dykes at CF and Fraser (bit-part at Newcastle) leading the line? We could have McGinn and Tierney as our double pivot (it need not be negative) as McGinn is playing deeper with Villa these days. Maybe that's why he doesn't score nowadays. Turnbull I see as playing just behind the front two and he's been scoring freely recently. Griffiths - though I hate his character - is our most natural scorer. Nisbet tbh I'm still not sure about as he's not played anyone away from the SPL.

Dykes’ record at international level is rather good. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

2 goals and one was a penalty in 7 games  is hardly good. 

Both were from open play. In fairness, it's an easy mistake to make as most of his goals for QPR have come from the spot.

Lyndon Dykes offers a lot more than goals. He's a handful for defenders and his job is to hold it up, win the first ball and be the foil for his strike partner and attacking midfielder.

Plus he works tirelessly.