Additional New Year Bank Holiday - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Additional New Year Bank Holiday

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's awright for you Sassenachs. 

Despite the best efforts of the establishment to try to anglify me, I still prefer New Year to xmas. 

Its one of the saddest things for me, and I'm in my mid 30s seeing a lot of the New Year traditions basically die out. Opening the back door and then the front to let the new year in ; a dark haired guest after the bells ; the Dook on the 1st and parties in the street for what felt like a week or so.

3 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Its one of the saddest things for me, and I'm in my mid 30s seeing a lot of the New Year traditions basically die out. Opening the back door and then the front to let the new year in ; a dark haired guest after the bells ; the Dook on the 1st and parties in the street for what felt like a week or so.

I loved it. When I met my wife in 84 I took her up to Glasgow for new year. I was so proud to let her experience the uniqueness of it.  We were literally awake for 48 hours. Great times. 

Just now, EddardStark said:

I loved it. When I met my wife in 84 I took her up to Glasgow for new year. I was so proud to let her experience the uniqueness of it.  We were literally awake for 48 hours. Great times. 

I grew up in a street where everybody kent everyone, and it felt like one big party(just at a different house) each night til about the 3rd or 4th (or the last Sunday before the Monday going back to school/work).

There's still ceilidhs, and I know folk who still do the traditions ; but even 20-30 years ago, Christmas was a lot less in your face as it is now, but I think that's Americanisation in general really, pals in Iceland have said its changing here too.

I've always liked Boxing Day for the fitba.

9 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

The dark haired guest aside, this year is probably the best chance we have had to replicate this tradition given the covid restrictions. A dook, social  distance partying in the streets , and back and front doors open to let air through .😊 

This whole loss of tradition really is reflected by the general decrease in close communities which is very sad. 

I’d happily give up the 1st, 2nd and Boxing Day for days of my choice in the summer. As for traditional new year i live in central Edinburgh and was absolutely delighted it was cancelled, probably my most enjoyable festive season since I was a kid