Greece 2004 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Greece 2004

Third Lanark

Why did I bring this up? Well, because we are constantly lamenting our lack of a natural goalscoring striker. Back then, unfancied Greece did not have one either. But through dogged defending and teamwork they triumphed , beating Portugal in the final - a team who culd boast Figo, Deco and Ronaldo.

Scotland remind me of them; we could creep up almost unnoticed and upset the big guns.

Gotta be honest, I’ve never seen a team carry so much good fortune (luck?) as that Greece team that won the Euros. The only other team that came close to them, in my mind, was the Chelsea team that won the Champions League. 
But that’s the beauty of “Cup” football and the reason why the ruling bodies try to eliminate such occurrences and upsets through their “seeding” systems.

Edited by Scot1

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/griechenland-team/em-2004-in-portugal/2/

Hugely unfancied but they still had some players playing at the top level, well at least in great teams. 

Mind wanting them to beat Portugal at the time. Fantastic achievement. 

My memory is hazy but were those club teams mentioned in link really great that year?

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gotta be honest, I’ve never seen a team carry so much good fortune (luck?) as that Greece team that won the Euros. The only other team that came close to them, in my mind, was the Chelsea team that won the Champions League. 
But that’s the beauty of “Cup” football and the reason why the ruling bodies try to eliminate such occurrences and upsets through their “seeding” systems.

I have.

Scotland.

In our home game vs France in 2006 everyone forgets that the French had two perfectly good goals wrongly disallowed.

We did not deserve our injury time winner against Liechtenstein in 2010. The seven or eight minutes of injury time played was ridiculous.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I have.

Scotland.

In our home game vs France in 2006 everyone forgets that the French had two perfectly good goals wrongly disallowed.

We did not deserve our injury time winner against Liechtenstein in 2010. The seven or eight minutes of injury time played was ridiculous.

Maybe in a 1 off match but Greece and Chelsea were played off the park, game after game and somehow managed to come out winners of the competition.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I have.

Scotland.

We definitely rode our luck that game against France, although I thought both their offside goals were just off?

Be interesting to re watch euro 2004 and see how much of it was luck and/or just being organised for Greece. 

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We definitely rode our luck that game against France, although I thought both their offside goals were just off?

Be interesting to re watch euro 2004 and see how much of it was luck and/or just being organised for Greece. 

They were definitely well organised and defended like their lives depended on it and they always looked dangerous on the quick counter-attack. But I’m pretty sure the woodwork saved them numerous times.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Maybe in a 1 off match but Greece and Chelsea were played off the park, game after game and somehow managed to come out winners of the competition.

Exactly. Scotland have so far had virtually zero luck in any tournament we've played in. Hopefully this year marks a change 🤞

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Exactly. Scotland have so far had virtually zero luck in any tournament we've played in. Hopefully this year marks a change 🤞

This. The only luck Scotland ever get is when it ultimately amounts to fuck all, ie v France, Liechtenstein etc. What we're talking about is luck that gets you qualified or through to the next round of a tournament or, in Greece's case, winning a tournament!