Rangers v Celtic - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers v Celtic

Just now, aaid said:

That's probably a good idea.   I'm recording it so I can FF through the OF game and watch the others.   Since its Sportscene and the BBC, I'll skip Stephen Thompson reading out the post match interviews that Sky did.

I'd recommend skipping United v Aberdeen as well 😤

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

A still like that doesnt do the discussion much favour. Ajer was running at pace, its 50/50 for me. 

Moreles was running at pace aswell (hence why Bitton had to bring him down)

He was about 10 yards from the box, wouldnt have had to take a touch as the ball was curling towards the goal. Ayer wad about 15/20 yards from the box and would have had to cover an additional 10 yards to get across to Moreles as Ayer was in the centre of the pitch. So unless you are telling me that Ayer can run 30 yards in the time it takes Moreles to run 15 then your argument doesnt stack up.

Its embarrasing how some people cant just accept decisions. Celtic were brilliant today, best ive seen them in a long long time. Rangers literally couldnt keep hold of the ball. Lennon coming out with that nonsence actually takes the conversation away from that point to one which nobody but the blind followers will agree with. 

Even Petrov, a Celtic legend and former teammate said he couldnt defend Lennon on the red card. Its clear as day. Moreles probably wouldnt have scored but thats not the test. A really really poor decision from Bitton and Ayer had a really poor starting positon.

4 hours ago, Redz said:

Look at how Ayer caught Kent after a 10 yard start earlier

More importantly, I see that the liar who called another poster a liar continues to lie....... 

He didnt give Kent a 10 yard head start though. They started from the same position. Kent has better acceleration so built up a quick lead before Ayers longer stride caught him up. 

Theres a huge difference between that and the sending off. He would have to be double the speed of Moreles given the distances. No human being is double the speed of Moreles over that distance. 

Moreles is 100% getting the shot off on goal which is the test that the ref has to apply. The shot would have been inside the box, on his strong foot with the keeper having to advance. 

Im no fan of Refs the world over but what chance do they have when fans and managers cant even accept the basics.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

This is a big one, very big. If Celtic win, its game on, if they lose, rangers pretty much have their hands on the league trophy for the first time in nearly 10 years.. It could go either way now. Celtic have been on a good run as of late, and rangers are consistently winning when they need to. There are a couple key injuries that will play a factor, rangers missing Jack and Airfield, Celtic may not have Julian..  For me, Lennon has to grow a set of balls and leave Brown on the bench. Brown is a great servant, has played well over the years against rangers, but he must step aside for this one. Soro is playing well, as Brown slows things down. Turnbull is the engine of Celtic now, so he keeps his place. Will Lennon go for it and play Eddy and Griff, as Griff is playing well, and gives Eddy space, or will he leave Eddy on alone. So many possibilities. Its at Ibrox, but no fans, so not much of an advantage this. Will Morales play, will he stay on the park? This match should be a belter because of what is at stake. I'm shittin it, but looking forward to it as I will be watching it in my own home with my new cable box, so I better behave and watch the language as my wife wants to watch it with me. Her first Celtic v Rangers match. So hope its a good one, and 3 titanic points for Celtic.   Thoughts on the match folks.....  Happy New Year all..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Lawl!

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Moreles was running at pace aswell (hence why Bitton had to bring him down)

He was about 10 yards from the box, wouldnt have had to take a touch as the ball was curling towards the goal. Ayer wad about 15/20 yards from the box and would have had to cover an additional 10 yards to get across to Moreles as Ayer was in the centre of the pitch. So unless you are telling me that Ayer can run 30 yards in the time it takes Moreles to run 15 then your argument doesnt stack up.

Its embarrasing how some people cant just accept decisions. Celtic were brilliant today, best ive seen them in a long long time. Rangers literally couldnt keep hold of the ball. Lennon coming out with that nonsence actually takes the conversation away from that point to one which nobody but the blind followers will agree with. 

Even Petrov, a Celtic legend and former teammate said he couldnt defend Lennon on the red card. Its clear as day. Moreles probably wouldnt have scored but thats not the test. A really really poor decision from Bitton and Ayer had a really poor starting positon.

I dont care what lennon said and to be honest celtic werent brilliant, they were better than rangers but not brilliant. Mcgregor had one extremely good save to make. Celtic had a lot of the ball but ultimately did nothing with it.

As ive already said, the red card was 50/50 for me, i wasnt shocked to see a red but i wouldnt be shocked to see  yellow either. If it had been yellow the roles are reversed  the huns scream at the ref and the tims say right decision.

Are you referring to me when you say people cant accept decisions?

Edited by vanderark14

To me McGregor is now on a par with Goram.  What a save from Griffiths on to the post.  He kept us in the game alright.  But not Rangers fault they couldnt score.  Sweet revenge for the League Cup Final when Rangers were the better side but still  lost.  It's no longer about 10.  It's about 55.

Celtic are now in exactly the same position that Rangers were in when the season was suspended last year.   Ten points behind if you assume they win all the games in hand, two old firm games to play and so it's "in their own hands" to cut the deficit to four points although the large goal difference makes that effectively five points.

This effectively means that to overtake Rangers, Celtic need to win all of their remaining 19 games *and* Rangers need to lose another two and if Celtic drop any points at all, Rangers need to drop the same number.

The obvious difference is though that there are almost twice as many games left to play but that can work both ways, more opportunities for Rangers to drop the points that Celtic need to catch them but similarly more difficult for Celtic to put together the winning run required.

Nothing is certain until its mathematically impossible but it does look a stretch.

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

To me McGregor is now on a par with Goram.  What a save from Griffiths on to the post.  He kept us in the game alright.  But not Rangers fault they couldnt score.  Sweet revenge for the League Cup Final when Rangers were the better side but still  lost.  It's no longer about 10.  It's about 55.

Goram the best Rangers goalkeeper in the modern era by a bit of a distance.   McGregor is up there with the likes of Woods and Klos.  Older people would make a case for Jerry Dawson being the best ever though.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I dont care what lennon said and to be honest celtic werent brilliant, they were better than rangers but not brilliant. Mcgregor had one extremely good save to make. Celtic had a lot of the ball but ultimately did nothing with it.

As ive already said, the red card was 50/50 for me, i wasnt shocked to see a red but i wouldnt be shocked to see  yellow either. If it had been yellow the roles are reversed  the huns scream at the ref and the tims say right decision.

Are you referring to me when you say people cant accept decisions?

Nope, just people in general. Lennon would have came away with alot more credit imo if he had just said Bitton made a mistake that changed the game because before the sending off their was only going to be one winner.

Celtic were very good first half. Rangers couldnt get out of their half and Celtic looked dangerous everytime they went forward.

Now, I might be remembering this wrong but I think Rangers were 14 points ahead of Aberdeen, with a lot less games to play, and Aberdeen took them to the last game of the season. In fact, Aberdeen were ahead going into that last game where a draw would have been enough for them to win the league. It was a while ago right enough, but strange things can, and do, happen.

It's not over yet. Any Celtic players who think it is, should be sacked.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Now, I might be remembering this wrong but I think Rangers were 14 points ahead of Aberdeen, with a lot less games to play, and Aberdeen took them to the last game of the season.

Only 2 points for a win then too.

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

He didnt give Kent a 10 yard head start though. They started from the same position. Kent has better acceleration so built up a quick lead before Ayers longer stride caught him up. 

Theres a huge difference between that and the sending off. He would have to be double the speed of Moreles given the distances. No human being is double the speed of Moreles over that distance. 

Moreles is 100% getting the shot off on goal which is the test that the ref has to apply. The shot would have been inside the box, on his strong foot with the keeper having to advance. 

Im no fan of Refs the world over but what chance do they have when fans and managers cant even accept the basics.

Okay, I concede that the '10 yds' was an exaggeration - 'But' Ayer is fast when he gets a run - In my view it's not absolutely conclusive that he doesn't get to Morelos.

Additionally, if you're 100% sure he gets a shot on goal away inside the box, and that the ref has to factor that in, surely he also needs to factor in that he can't score against Celtic?

Listen, there's fuck all for me to accept. It's my opinion that's all. I've only seen it the once, as did Madden.

Personally I'd much rather they'd both lost 👍

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Plus we are still dealing with the outlier that is Covid. Still think that will give us a few more twists and turns before the end of the season.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Now, I might be remembering this wrong but I think Rangers were 14 points ahead of Aberdeen, with a lot less games to play, and Aberdeen took them to the last game of the season. In fact, Aberdeen were ahead going into that last game where a draw would have been enough for them to win the league. It was a while ago right enough, but strange things can, and do, happen.

If you're talking about 1990/91 - which is the only time I can remember that Rangers and Aberdeen went into the final game with a title decider then your memory is way off.

Rangers' form was slightly better up until the turn of the year, Aberdeen's was sightly better in the second half.  However at the end of 1990, Rangers were only 3 points clear, not 14.   Both clubs had played 19 games - so just over half-way as we currently are.   In the final 17 games, Aberdeen won 13, lost 3 and drew 1, Rangers won 12, lost three and drew 2.

Not remotely comparable to the current position.

Edited by aaid

6 minutes ago, Redz said:

Additionally, if you're 100% sure he gets a shot on goal away inside the box, and that the ref has to factor that in, surely he also needs to factor in that he can't score against Celtic?

No. A ref told me once that they need to take into consideration four points before deciding if its a sending off. The identiy of the player attacking/defending is not one.  It would open up some can of worms if they did :lol: