Only An Excuse? Hogmanay 2020 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse? Hogmanay 2020

Scotland TV programs are just garbage, only an excuse this year was the same as all the other years 95% garbage but you still watch it whilst pished hoping for that we nugget of laughter and when you find it your doubled up, tears streaming down the face whilst eating shortbread drinking whisky and waiting for the bells.   I have been sober now for 14 months and every new year prior to 2020 I would howl with laughter at that shyte whilst being pisht.   I suppose everything seems so much funnier when you have had a few,  I suppose that's why its only on when everybody is drunk.  Last year being sober I realised it was just awful,   this year was no different.  As for Calman why is she oan the telly?

On 1/4/2021 at 1:47 AM, bigfathagiz said:

As for Calman why is she oan the telly?

Her father, Kenneth Calman, was involved with Better Together.  She herself has expressed strong unionist views.  Can't imagine why BBC Scotland have her on practically every day.  Personally I find her extremely unfunny.  Prett sure Janey Godley would wipe the floor with her in a rammy.

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Her father, Kenneth Calman, was involved with Better Together.  She herself has expressed strong unionist views.  Can't imagine why BBC Scotland have her on practically every day.  Personally I find her extremely unfunny.  Prett sure Janey Godley would wipe the floor with her in a rammy.

Now, that would be good Hogmanay entertainment. :lol:

Good to see some of the classic's, though not enough were shown and to much filler inbetween (looks like it tried to be like the Off the Ball Documentary). 

Actually, the 2020 sketches ("Scotland will play Israel" and Chicks "I always dress like this for Celtic Park") were best in years.

Shame Tony Roper and the early stuff were painted over (while Ropers impressions were not as good, I think that was the whole point... his Gerry McNee and Ally McLeod impressions were not bad back in the day)

This may be a lot of pish but there was a story a while back that Roper's departure from the show was the result of a falling out with Watson and they haven't spoken since. As I say it might be pish, it might not.

I thought Watson's sketch ridiculing our return to the Euros as being flukey and the result of consolation prizes was a bit rich and frankly, uncalled for. Especially considering how had we been well beaten by Serbia then Watson would certainly have made a sketch capitalising on just that. We deserve to be at the Euros, we earned our place.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This may be a lot of pish but there was a story a while back that Roper's departure from the show was the result of a falling out with Watson and they haven't spoken since. As I say it might be pish, it might not.

I think that's something that they played on for years, and it was more a case of Roper stood aside to concentrate more on Rab C Nesbitt as it grow in popularity in the 90's, as I think he preferred the stage shows and radio format more than the tv format.