Only An Excuse? Hogmanay 2020 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse? Hogmanay 2020

Just getting the traditional thread started. The TV guide tells me this year's edition is on for an hour. Isn't it normally just 30-40mins? Anyway will see what they have come up with for this year but I'm fairly sure that it will be pretty poor fare. Happy to be proven wrong later though.

I think they said they wanted to "go out on a high" for the last show!  No doubt they'll be bringing all the old favourites back.  It just remains to be seen whether it's cringingly unfunny or embarrassingly unfunny.

Imagine getting changed into a costume to do a scene, spouting 4 or 5 minutes of complete and utter p*sh and then getting changed back again!

Nothing odd about it. It has been a staple of Hogmanay since I was a teenager and I have fond memories of it from back in the day. I guess that's what keeps me going back to it but it hasn't aged well. Anyway you won't have to worry about it after tonight as it seems from the info provided by other posters this is it finishing for good tonight.

I wonder how many on here will be watching it.  Just so they can complain about it tomorrow.  There are some folk in life that aren't happy unless they are complaining.  I will watch it tonight and have fond memories.  If you don't want to watch it.  Don't watch it and watch something else.  Then you won't need to come on tomorrow and complain about it.  Quite simple.

6 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Just going on to FB Olas.  My friend Andy Chung is playing us in to the Bells.  Have a good one my friend.

Gies a link! 

For the record, I enjoyed OAE.  I normally do.  

Well that wasn't what I was expecting. Turned into one of those talking heads programmes - reminiscing about OAE and probably giving it too much importance. It was good to see some of the real folks who had been lampooned over the years discussing how they felt about it and old clips from when it was funny but the contributions from the talking heads were rubbish in the main. Worth a watch I'd say for anyone like me who enjoyed it when it began and continued to watch over the years despite its decline. For the haters well I'm sorry for starting this thread and commenting and keeping it on the subject - I'll let yous all get back to discussing whatever Facebook channel you watched last night. Oh and Happy New Year!

Tbh no seen it for many years due to work, but enjoyed this one, made me laugh out loud a few times and some good memories of the madness of Scottish football in years gone by. And Jonatan Johanssens wife obviously. Oh and another edit. And for Amy Irons too. ❤️

Edited by Och Aye

Just watching it on BBC Scotland.

It was good. It was nice seeing the classic skits again. 

Can't remember when I stopped watching it. Probably 17 years.

There's no doubt, the show has been past it's sell by date for about 17 or so years, but when it was good, it was great.

Jonathan Watson was superb at every character he ever did. Tony Roper was awful. Alistair McGowan was great for that one or two years he appears on the show.

Edited by Taylor1996

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

As expected, the 2020 skits were pish, 

I liked the Scottish Repair Shop and the socially distanced funny handshake. The Scotland upcoming fixture list gave me a chortle too.

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Jonathan Watson was superb at every character he ever did. Tony Roper was awful. Alistair McGowan was great for that one or two years he appears on the show.

I'd disagree there. Watson's had some huge swing and misses in recent years. The latest being Gerrard and Lennon. And I couldn't work out if his Jason Leitch was more like Jim White or Stuart Cosgrove. 

Tony Roper wasn't as good an impersonator, but the show had a kind of knockabout charm when he was in it. Although tbh back in the 90s it was still pretty hit or miss, it just had the novelty factor of seeing Scottish football lampooned. 

That factor's worn off long since now, plus Jonny's getting old, along with his best characters, so probably the best to call it quits. OAE RIP.

What's everyone going to moan about next new year? ;)