Karlan Grant - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Karlan Grant

Archiesdad

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Really,because i don't agree with you i suppose.I don't want guys playing for us ,that have no commitment to us.You obviously couldn't care less.That's just the way it is.

Why would he have no commitment to us if he chose to play for us? 

Dykes plays his heart out. So does Adams. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If he had real commitment to us,why has he played at under 17,under 18 and under 19 for england.He certainly has a strange way of showing it.Just need to agree to disagree.

48 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If he had real commitment to us,why has he played at under 17,under 18 and under 19 for england.He certainly has a strange way of showing it.Just need to agree to disagree.

I work just as hard for my current employer as I did for my previous one

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

I'd hazard a guess and say that he was probably asked by the England coaches to play for them at that age level. A bit like in the same way that Adams was asked to play for England U20s and Dykes played for Australian schoolboys but both have since decided to commit to us.

Worth noting also that someone like Liam Cooper played for Scotland U17 and U19 but then had to wait 10 years to get a regular squad place. Also good young players like Mark Reynolds and Garry Kenneth back in 2007-08 played a hatful of games at U17-U20 level and even got the odd full team cap but never really managed to get into the full team.

The fact that Clarke has himself spoken to the likes of Grant, Adams and Fredericks shows that he doesn't question earlier choices when looking to strengthen the squad to make us more successful.

Of course he was asked by the england coaches.If he had any real feeling that he wanted to play for Scotland,he could just have said no thanks.He obviously feels  english,which is fair enough,but it should also rule him out of playing for us.As for Clarke looking to strenghten the squad by including all those guys you mentioned..Not for me.I would rather succeed or fail with guys i feel are totally commited to the cause.Don't really see what pride you can take in a team that includes players that would rather be playing for england.Anyway,i don't like it,but i'm sure plenty thing differently.After all,everybody is entitled to their opinion.

8 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Of course he was asked by the england coaches.If he had any real feeling that he wanted to play for Scotland,he could just have said no thanks.He obviously feels  english,which is fair enough,but it should also rule him out of playing for us.As for Clarke looking to strenghten the squad by including all those guys you mentioned..Not for me.I would rather succeed or fail with guys i feel are totally commited to the cause.Don't really see what pride you can take in a team that includes players that would rather be playing for england.Anyway,i don't like it,but i'm sure plenty thing differently.After all,everybody is entitled to their opinion.

It is a conversation that does no favours to Grant either. To think he will jump ship for England to play for Scotland are questioning his loyalty and commitment he has already given to England.

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Of course he was asked by the england coaches. If he had any real feeling that he wanted to play for Scotland, he could just have said no thanks. He obviously feels  english, which is fair enough, but it should also rule him out of playing for us. As for Clarke looking to strenghten the squad by including all those guys you mentioned..Not for me. I would rather succeed or fail with guys i feel are totally commited to the cause. Don't really see what pride you can take in a team that includes players that would rather be playing for england. Anyway,i don't like it,but i'm sure plenty thing differently. After all, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

If he had any real feeling that he wanted to play for Scotland, he could just have said no thanks - or in the absence of a request from the Scotland coaches he might just have wanted to improve his professional career by trying international football

it should also rule him out of playing for us - but it doesn't as per FIFA and British FA rules and unlikely to change;  all managers since Vogts have been using this option

Not for me - so you don't support our coach??

I would rather succeed or fail with guys i feel are totally commited to the cause - It would certainly be great if more home grown players could emerge into international standard players but the ongoing failure of our club sides in Europe, lack of successful homegrown academies' ability to develop and  hold on to good young players and the extortionate difference in league sponsorship finances has resulted in decades of failure. Clarke is adapting to the modern game/rules and so far has been successful

Don't really see what pride you can take in a team - I've been actively supporting Scotland for 50 years. You have no right to question my pride

35 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Serious question - how do you rate Lyndon Dykes’ commitment to Scotland?

5 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Not the same really. Dykes, as far as I know, never represented Australia and played a fair chunk of his career in Scotland and had a son born in Scotland. And when asked he chose to represent us. None of that can be said of Grant.

7 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

7 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Lyndon Dykes was asked in the same week whether he wanted to play for Scotland or Australia,and he chose Scotland.Barnes and Grant have made their position clear who they want to play for.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Lyndon Dykes was asked in the same week whether he wanted to play for Scotland or Australia,and he chose Scotland.Barnes and Grant have made their position clear who they want to play for.

First off, glad you agree on his commitment. He’d run through brick walls for Scotland.

For the sake of argument though, he represented Australia schoolboys and  played his early career in Australia. If Australia U-19s had asked him to play, it’s not unimaginable he would have agreed to play. Had he done that and the rest of his career otherwise mapped out in the same way, would that have meant his validity to represent Scotland was diminished?

23 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

If he had any real feeling that he wanted to play for Scotland, he could just have said no thanks - or in the absence of a request from the Scotland coaches he might just have wanted to improve his professional career by trying international football

it should also rule him out of playing for us - but it doesn't as per FIFA and British FA rules and unlikely to change;  all managers since Vogts have been using this option

Not for me - so you don't support our coach??

I would rather succeed or fail with guys i feel are totally commited to the cause - It would certainly be great if more home grown players could emerge into international standard players but the ongoing failure of our club sides in Europe, lack of successful homegrown academies' ability to develop and  hold on to good young players and the extortionate difference in league sponsorship finances has resulted in decades of failure. Clarke is adapting to the modern game/rules and so far has been successful

Don't really see what pride you can take in a team - I've been actively supporting Scotland for 50 years. You have no right to question my pride

Certainly  don't support our coach regarding these guys.You obviously think it's fine,but i don't.It's all about opinions eh!As for 50 years supporting Scotland...close,but no cigar.

5 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

First off, glad you agree on his commitment. He’d run through brick walls for Scotland.

For the sake of argument though, he represented Australia schoolboys and  played his early career in Australia. If Australia U-19s had asked him to play, it’s not unimaginable he would have agreed to play. Had he done that and the rest of his career otherwise mapped out in the same way, would that have meant his validity to represent Scotland was diminished?

If if if.They didn't,and when asked he chose Scotland.

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not the same really. Dykes, as far as I know, never represented Australia and played a fair chunk of his career in Scotland and had a son born in Scotland. And when asked he chose to represent us. None of that can be said of Grant.

Exactly.Grants situation is completely different.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Exactly.Grants situation is completely different.

To be honest, I agree with you both. The Karlan Grant situation is totally different from Lyndon Dykes. It was a pish point, pishly made 😂

I was trying to argue (very clumsily) that players could have passion and commitment to more than one country. Regarding Karlan Grant, I have absolutely no idea on whether has any Scottish attachment!

Just now, breeks_mctavish said:

Regarding Karlan Grant, I have absolutely no idea on whether has any Scottish attachment!

And that is what irks me.

People (not you) fighting in his corner to play for Scotland despite having no idea of what connections and feelings he has towards Scotland other than being a good fishing holiday in the Highlands. His only commitment in international football is to England and although his last representation of them came in 2015 and was asked to represent us in 2019 his declining to accept says it all.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And that is what irks me.

People (not you) fighting in his corner to play for Scotland despite having no idea of what connections and feelings he has towards Scotland other than being a good fishing holiday in the Highlands. His only commitment in international football is to England and although his last representation of them came in 2015 and was asked to represent us in 2019 his declining to accept says it all.

Correct.All those on this site,picking random players who have already nailed their colours to the english mast.I don't get it.Keep the faith with the guys who WANT to play for us.

19 hours ago, thesaint said:

Certainly  don't support our coach regarding these guys.You obviously think it's fine,but i don't.It's all about opinions eh!As for 50 years supporting Scotland...close,but no cigar.

Well I can't do much about my age unless you think I should have been committing my support to Scotland when I was in kindergarten🥴 It's certainly fine having different opinions as that is what this board is all about. However, your opinion on what constitutes a target for inclusion of the squad is immaterial as Clarke has already decided he is going to use this  approach for players born in England (or elsewhere) that may even have played for England junior squads. 

Karlan Grant does have a connection with our country as he has a Scottish mother. It looks like he has been approached  by Clarke before at the same time as Adams and had a similar response at the time for keeping options open. However that was 2 years ago. He is now 24,  so really needs to state his case now if he wants to be reconsidered. He's hit a bit for form now so that's why he is creating a bit of interest.