The Great Outdoors... - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

On 3/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, Grim Jim said:

Brilliant!   I should give you my stuff as I've done nothing for two years and can hardly climb the stairs now!

As a beginner, I recommend you start on popular hills with good paths and in good weather, so avoid winter conditions and low cloud.   Mist can be seriously disorienting.   Try something like Cairngorm, Ben Lomond, Ben Lawers or The Cobbler.   (Some have pay car parks though.)

Equipment:   Boots obviously.   If you get into this, you will get very mucky on some hills, so I prefer ones that are easy to clean.   I'm most comfortable with 2-layer socks, for reducing blisters.

Even in summer in Scotland you should always carry a lightweight waterproof, even if it's just to keep the wind off you.   Wear lightweight layers below that including a fleece, which can be pulled on/off.   Temperature drops about 3°/1000ft I think, and wind/rain will feel much colder.   That sounds obvious, but it will still surprise you some day how cold and scary things can get.

You'll need a small rucksack to shove all those layers in when the sun comes out, plus room for lunch and lots of water (though free refills are available from mountain streams on many hills ...but not all).   Some salted crisps can help fend off cramp on long days, of if you start with a hangover (as I learned to my cost 🙄 ).

With luck you'll need sunglasses, sun cream and maybe a hat for your baldy bits.   I'd pick shorts/trousers that don't soak in water too easily or at least blow dry quickly... the opposite of denim for instance which is terrible in sun or rain.

A pair of walking poles will save wear and tear on your knees coming downhill, can help push you up loose scree and help balance wading through streams.   (Avoid fast or deep water!)   Try to find a rucksack that can carry the poles when not in use such that they are not in the way, and poles that can be instantly adjusted for length are good, so not faffing around all the time.

Luxury items?   A pair of flip flops for keeping your boots dry in streams.   A small folding pad to sit on to keep your arse dry/warm having lunch.   Isotonic Lucozade.

Navigation?   O.S. 1:50,000 map & compass.   We had a fancy GPS that got dropped in a burn, so best to have backup.   Even on easy, busy paths you should practice using the map+compass, then when the day comes that you are lost in the mist you will be better prepared.

Speaking of busy paths, Ben Nevis 'tourist route' crowds might drive you nuts.   Off the busy paths people regularly get into trouble there.   I would save that hill for when you've built up some fitness/experience and make a long day of it via the Carn Mor Dearg Arrette.

What did I forget?   I dunno, get out and enjoy!

Right, where are my boots?

Starting next month so just revisting this. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sitting in the garden and someone or something is whistling. Its the most tuneless whistling I have heard in my entire life. I don’t know if its a neighbour or a bird. Its constant so I think it must be a bird.

• 4 weeks later...

We've decided to try a bit off hillwalking rather than me sitting on my arse in a pub of a Saturday!  Starting of what I believe is relatively easy with Connic Hill next weekend and the Goat Fell at the end of September (I'll be in Lamlash the night of the Ireland game if anyone can point me in the direction of somewhere that's likely to be showing it....?)

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Think you could be doing with a bit of factor 50 there Ramy, those arms a looking a bit tender.  Or going by the other photo above, just sleeves!

I know mate. Especially on the water. It was 36 degrees when we were on the water this Saturday past.. I was well burnt..🤣

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Walking by train tracks now with young Wallace. I love trains, so the outdoor walks are more pleasant, especially this time of year. Very peaceful here aswell...

20221112_081504.jpg

I cannae decide if you’re going for the Andy Capp, Ali G or Amish look here……🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Anyone braved the weather for some new pics?

Meanwhile, this seems the place to post a dug pic.   Indoors only unfortunately as not fully jagged up yet.   Eyes shut as he keeps us too busy when they're open to think about taking a photo.

Cavapoo-poo-poo.   Quarter spaniel and 3/4 poo.   This was a week ago and Archie is lot bigger already.

Archie.thumb.jpg.44063a84229e1c69ba7b7c02a9ccd1e0.jpg

57 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Meanwhile, this seems the place to post a dug pic.   Indoors only unfortunately as not fully jagged up yet.   Eyes shut as he keeps us too busy when they're open to think about taking a photo.

Cavapoo-poo-poo.   Quarter spaniel and 3/4 poo.   This was a week ago and Archie is lot bigger already.

OMG he is gorgeous. Be prepared for your entire life to evolve around him. Is this the first dog you have had or are you used to having them ?

My daughter has a cockapoo , 18 month old, I am looking after him next week whilst they are on holiday. Canny wait. Its amazing how they change. This was Alfie a few weeks old, and more recent . Not one of his more glamorous poses right enough. We were in Loch Lomond in the summer staying in a lodge. He bolted right over that wall in the background and into the water . Our hearts weee roasted , he is not very well trained . 😁

D30C3A59-AF13-4F36-895D-FB7DC7CE4472.thumb.jpeg.886287d173c94e4f57e13bef372ca304.jpeg

pA9D10BF7-3EB8-4AEE-96CE-706DF69D8F5D.thumb.jpeg.d1062c658b383805a5c743918a5dbcc8.jpeg

Edited by TDYER63

14 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Nice one Jim! You’ll love having him and you’ll treat him like a kid. 

Thistle is out of action just now. He stood on glass 10 days ago and split his paw wide open on North Berwick beach. Had to rush him back to Edinburgh for an emergency op. Three layers of stitches. No walks for two weeks as he’s to keep off his paw as much as possible to stop it opening up again. Big daft collar and padded up paw when he goes into the garden 😢

71055ABF-1F15-4005-B224-0CBD0E826A84.jpeg

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

OMG he is gorgeous. Be prepared for your entire life to evolve around him. Is this the first dog you have had or are you used to having them ?

My daughter has a cockapoo , 18 month old, I am looking after him next week whilst they are on holiday. Canny wait. Its amazing how they change. This was Alfie a few weeks old, and more recent . Not one of his more glamorous poses right enough. We were in Loch Lomond in the summer staying in a lodge. He bolted right over that wall in the background and into the water . Our hearts weee roasted , he is not very well trained . 😁

He's smashin!

I've only had a hamster and tropical fish before!   Mrs Grim's dad always had dogs when she was a kid, but this is a a big step for us.   We weed to develop strategies to curb his mad vicious bursts.   I know; you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth 😄

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Thistle is out of action just now. He stood on glass 10 days ago and split his paw wide open on North Berwick beach. Had to rush him back to Edinburgh for an emergency op. Three layers of stitches. No walks for two weeks as he’s to keep off his paw as much as possible to stop it opening up again. Big daft collar and padded up paw when he goes into the garden 😢

Cheers McT.   What a poor soul.   The faither-in-law, Alex was none too happy when I once brought his collie-mixture back from a walk with a bleeding paw.   Dog was not bothered at all, so seemed minor.

Sometime later the daft mutt leaped out a first floor window of the ruined castle at Port Patrick and damaged what I would describe as his achilies on his front paws.   Carried him to a vet.

After he awoke with plasters on he wouldn't let Alex near him for days as if it was all his fault, so I'm half expecting yours to be mostly pissed off about the bandage.

17 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Cheers McT.   What a poor soul.   The faither-in-law, Alex was none too happy when I once brought his collie-mixture back from a walk with a bleeding paw.   Dog was not bothered at all, so seemed minor.

Sometime later the daft mutt leaped out a first floor window of the ruined castle at Port Patrick and damaged what I would describe as his achilies on his front paws.   Carried him to a vet.

After he awoke with plasters on he wouldn't let Alex near him for days as if it was all his fault, so I'm half expecting yours to be mostly pissed off about the bandage.

It’s no really the bandages that are bothering him, it’s the look of “Is that it?!?” when we get to the end of the street and I call him back. He’s used to big beach walks, up the hills, through the forests. Cannae really explain to a dug the reasons why he needs to keep off it as much as possible!

By the way, get good insurance for Archie. We thought we had good insurance, however his stitches and anaesthetic cost £1400 all-in, ffs! Our insurance only covered the first £1000 (but they will pay that four times per year for four separate injuries). 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

71055ABF-1F15-4005-B224-0CBD0E826A84.jpeg

Hope he gets better soon McTeeko. He looks a bit sorry for himself in that pic ☹️

How is your own recovery going  ? 

54 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

He's smashin!

I've only had a hamster and tropical fish before!   Mrs Grim's dad always had dogs when she was a kid, but this is a a big step for us.   We weed to develop strategies to curb his mad vicious bursts.   I know; you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth 😄

😂 hamsters and tropical fish were my daughters induction to pets too, came as a bit of a shock when she had to clamber up and down 3 flights of a tenement flat toilet training him numerous times a day 😁 But it  was so worth it . As McTeeko says, you will treat him as a kid. Its my birthday and I got a card from him,  ‘ to my lovely gran ‘ and a xmas bauble with a picture of him inside 😁 When he stays Mr Tidy gets shunted to the edge of the bed and Alfie curls up between us. I know a lot of folk dont allow this but I dont mind and he just gets out his own bed anyway and comes onto the bed.

Archie actually reminds me of a little lamb in that pic you posted. Hope he stays that way  ! 😁