The Great Outdoors... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

Thought I would start a thread on the Great Outdoors, as I am an avid fisherman, and for those of us who love the outdoors. Walking, hiking, fishing, hunting, camping, etc..  In these tough times due to Covid, lock downs, restrictions, you can always enjoy the great outdoors. So where you going? Where you get away for a break from today's uncertain life.    This pic is me and ma best pal. Let me introduce young "Wallace🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿".  He is 14 month, had him since he was 9 week old.  Every weekend, rain, snow, or shine, I bring down the the Ottawa River by the forest.. He loves it. Nothing better than getting away from it all, just for a few hours.. Like I said, just get away and enjoy life...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

20201227_134015.jpg

Great pics, lads! 

I love hiking. Growing up close to Dundee, we weren't too far from a fair few munros. A few of my pals would do it every second Saturday morning from spring to October or so and get up about 6am and go for it. I really regret not going more than a handful of times, but since I hit my early to mid 30s, I've really got into hiking and walking. 

I really fancy getting a dug, always wanted something like a Newfie, but they are expensive, eat a lot, slaver, and don't live long ; but they are magical wee dogs. Maybe something like yours, is that a chocolate lab? Someone who's up for a hike and will sit at your feet once its over. We were looking after a mini Schnauzer in the summer for three weeks, (his owners had booked a holiday home that no pets were allowed) and I really enjoyed it. Anytime we see him, he's wimpering and wagging his tail, seems genuine happy to see us (although did spoil him a bit. Up on the sofa, slept at the bottom of the bed etc, took him out for loads of walks, and the odd bit of meat more than he gets at home) but anytime I pop round to visit them (and him) he always cheers me up, I really need to get one.

I've got family in Ontario and went to NZ 9 years ago - the strangest, strangest thing happened. I met someone I vaguely knew on our way out to Franz Josef Glacier whilst he was on his way back. What's even weirder is, he's Spanish and we got to know each other in Iceland ; lost touch a bit and bumped in to him THERE. I was basically screaming for about 5 minutes, surely there's better odds of winning the lotto than that? How did that happen, why wasn't I 5 minutes later, or an hour later, or spend an extra day in the town or Greymouth, or the North Island rather.. Insane..

Ramy, do you see a lot of wildlife out there? I hiked a bit in Blueridge Parkway - just short 2-3 hour ones, but can't recall seeing anything, had visions of turning the corner and spying a grizzly! 

I do love seeing the mountain hares though especially if they are white. If I am not paying attention, the grouse will make me shit myelf when they just take off after blending in to the path. Has anyone seen a capercaillie? Unfortunately not, but hopefully some day. One of my favourite moments walking, was August, about 5 years ago, a perfect day, about 16 degrees, there was one other car in the car park, and was hiking up near Dalwhinnie - Geal Charn or A' Mhaorinich, and was near the peak and looked up and seen 3 stag about 50 yards in front of me - they looked at me, I looked at them - for about 5 seconds and then they took off again. Just an amazing moment, and the silence and surprise of it all was wonderful.

I'm slowly turning in to a bird enthusiast too. Not in the sense of museums, but love seeing new and exotic birds either at home or abroad or ones I've never really paid attention or appreciated to at home til now e.g Oyster catchers, never knew they were so coloruful or cool, and plentiful in Scotland as well!

Edited by weekevie04

This is a lovely outdoor shot from Narnain (previous was on the Ring of Steal btw).      Finnart oil terminal is in the middle left though, and our lovely strategic nuclear weapons base is just behind the wee hill on the left on the Gare Loch.   Morton play in the heat(?!?!) haze just beyond.

image.thumb.jpeg.16497d71382f9dbd00b322643234151c.jpeg

Into the dug thing as well now. We got Thistle start of September and we’ve loved every minute of it. Out every day with him. Great to get out, even in the pishing rain just to clear the heid. He had his first swim in the Forth yesterday after weeks of me throwing in sticks to tease him in. Photo below is him on Sept 8th and today (approx 16 weeks apart).

3585A1F0-E91C-4941-9E8A-9C5B51D1213A.jpeg

8 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Into the dug thing as well now. We got Thistle start of September and we’ve loved every minute of it. Out every day with him. Great to get out, even in the pishing rain just to clear the heid. He had his first swim in the Forth yesterday after weeks of me throwing in sticks to tease him in. Photo below is him on Sept 8th and today (approx 16 weeks apart).

Brawl dug mate. Nice one...

35 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

He’s getting so big now. 

Where has the time gone......

4 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Dunure castle Ramy, don't know if you've watched it be used a lot on Outlander 👍

Aye, I did not recognise it from that view. I know outlander. Funny thing, whenever I play my Bagpipes at a wedding, when I play " Skye boat song", people always say to me, "that's the theme to Outlander". 😉

54 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Scotland really is a beautiful country 

Its the most beautiful country on Gods green earth so it is. I'm very fortunate when I come over home. I normally stay with ma cousin and her husband who stay in Barrhead. They go away every weekend all over Scotland, so when I come over, they are only to happy to take me around the country. Without a doubt, Skye is ma favorite. One day though, I will get to the Hebrides and up Shetland.. Will take a bit of planning, but I will get there....  Alba Gu Brath 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Incidentally Arran in the background. 

I didn't recognise the castle, but then noticed the background and shouted DUNURE to myself, but am here again too late 😄

As for your Christmas Eve pic, I dunno, but will take a stab at Mull?

Or near Hunterston.

Edited by Grim Jim