Jim McLean RIP - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jim McLean RIP

22 hours ago, dandydunn said:

There was allegations made that Porto also bought the ref before Aberdeen’s semi final of the ecwc in 1984. 

Makes you think.......

I'm sure the ref for the game admitted taking bribes in his career and refused to deny he had taken one for that game. 

Sorry to hear that. Jim McLean was one of a kind. His Dundee United team of the 80s was one of the finest sides. I remember the attacking football, Sturrock, Bannon & Milne, they seemed to revel in European competition, being the underdogs, and upsetting the odds. Lots of memorable games for all of Scotland to enjoy. The Roma home game I seem to remember Stark scoring from so far out the TV camera didn't catch it. Then there was the Barcelona double, what a feat. But it somehow seemed a natural cup tie result at the time, in the days before TV money put an end to the romance of the European cups.

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, exile said:

They only used 12 players all season!

Thats not actually true, he said/ or at least meant, that they had relied mainly on 12 players. I know it didn't go down well with a few of the fringe players such as John Reilly. Probably mind games at the time and a comment/suggestion I believe he later regretted 

5 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Thats not actually true, he said/ or at least meant, that they had relied mainly on 12 players. I know it didn't go down well with a few of the fringe players such as John Reilly. Probably mind games at the time and a comment/suggestion I believe he later regretted 

OK, I see, I suppose it was said in the heat of the moment.

Edited by exile