Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Sad news :(

Heard a rumour earlier and hoped it was false but apparently not.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6718/JIM-MCLEAN-1937-2020.html

A true one off of the Scottish game RIP.

 

Scotland’s  greatest manager? What he achieved with resources he had, I’d say so. But regardless, an amazing time for Scottish football. Tyrannical tendencies but players of that era tend to speak of him with affection. Love to see him set upon some modern prima donnas! Genuine good memories of the guy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prideothenorth said:

Just read that former Aberdeen player Chic McLelland also passed away today.☹️

 

A shame that, still relatively young. 

I've encountered a few guys called McLelland over the years who were nicknamed Chic because of him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I misremember the Jim McLean interview on Radio Scotland when DUFC won the league?   Paraphrasing, but that 'the old firm should be ashamed.   Ashamed that a wee club like Dundee United could win the league.'    Thing was (I think listening to the radio in my car that day) I was not laughing but annoyed, as such things seemed normal then, and of course he took them to the EC Semis and UEFA Cup final right after.

Edited by Grim Jim
I mean my pedal car of course.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad, obviously for his friends and family. But also for an era that seemed so much better than now, where talent and hard work could take you to incredible journeys and the beautiful game wasn't dominated by the cheque book.  I watched The Damned United on Tuesday and there are parallels between McLean and Clough in terms of their achievements. RIP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My mum succumbed to dementia around the same age as JM, and it was no fun.   But if you have a footballer relative, don't you start thinking it has to come for them.   We all have to go some way, and I don't think my mother ever headed a ball.   Sadly :wink2:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news. I was at Dundee Tech in the early 80's and saw a lot of that fabulous United side, especially in Europe.  Some big names came to Tannadice and got absolutely skelped. I feel  a wee bit guilty that as a non-fan I got to see matches like the 5-0 hammering of Borussia Moenchengladbach and the EC semi-final defeat of Roma when younger fans have been put through the wringer in recent years..

I remember queueing with my pals for tickets for the Roma game - just a fiver each(!) - and it didn't seem all that unusual that a wee Scottish club would be about to take part in such a game.  That's how good his side was.  You just expected them to be in that company.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

An absolute legend of a man and a manager. Took United to heights that we could never have dreamed of, even with the cup final losses it was an unbelievable time. The way he was with us fans away from the ground never really made the press, an absolute gentleman. Jim McLean knew we loved our club and so did he. Not a lie to say he contributed to some of the happiest days of my life.  

RIP Jim

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Ironically Jim McLean inherited Davies's number 10 shirt at Killie (or shorts as it was).

Both stricken with dementia too, it really is a curse for ex players :(

Did Killie not just give him some recognition for the league title win?
 

Same as daviebee ,as non United fan i was most of their european games back then with my dad.We couldn't get tickets for the Gothenburg game but the nights of the Borussia and Roma games were amazing.Standing on the north terracing and the majority of fans around us were all supporters of various teams but all united (pardon the pun) on cheering the arabs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Sad news. I was at Dundee Tech in the early 80's and saw a lot of that fabulous United side, especially in Europe.  Some big names came to Tannadice and got absolutely skelped. I feel  a wee bit guilty that as a non-fan I got to see matches like the 5-0 hammering of Borussia Moenchengladbach and the EC semi-final defeat of Roma when younger fans have been put through the wringer in recent years..

I remember queueing with my pals for tickets for the Roma game - just a fiver each(!) - and it didn't seem all that unusual that a wee Scottish club would be about to take part in such a game.  That's how good his side was.  You just expected them to be in that company.

Yep when I was working in Hungary 15 years ago or so, all the local guys who I spoke to about football knew little about the Scottish game other than the teams Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad, but what a manager. I remember as a wee boy my dad coming in from dens park in ‘83 and telling me all about how he got in to the terrace by climbing on an ice cream van and getting a hand up over the wall before doing the same to the next guy.

Memories all coming back as I type - It was when I was just getting in to football and it was class watching united batter all these foreign teams! Can still remember being taken to watch us play Universitatea Craiova on that UEFA run to the final and being transfixed by the blue of their shirts under the floodlights, Billy Thompson’s trackies and trying to spot any travelling Securitate in the stand! I felt sorry for the Romanians and hoped they didn’t get put in jail for losing when they got back. However, United still had to win! 
 

After lockdown, I can see a trip to Tannadice hospitality on the cards. Shamefully, it’s years since I’ve been.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Scotland's version of Brian Clough in so many ways. Came within a whisker of a European trophy and robbed of a European Cup final thanks to a bent and tapped up ref. Would have been unbelievable to have seen United up against that brilliant Liverpool side.

RIP Wee Jum 

I believed at the time and still firmly believe now that there was every chance United would’ve/could’ve beaten Liverpool in the final had it not been for that glaringly obviously bent ref. Imagine that happened now? There would’ve been absolute murder yet it was all swept under the carpet.

Again in parallel with Clough I seem to recall a similar thing happening to Forest in a European semi final in the early 80s (v Anderlecht springs to mind but that could easily be wrong).

It was great to see the whole of Scotland right behind United during those European runs, just as they were with Aberdeen too. I do wish football remained the same now as it was then.

Without doubt wee Jum should’ve been the Scotland manager, but he’d have really upset the applecart (which desperately needed upsetting) which put paid to his chances - no way would the SFA bigwigs have swapped their cosy wee closed-doors cabal for national team success.

RIP Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

It was great to see the whole of Scotland right behind United during those European runs, just as they were with Aberdeen too. I do wish football remained the same now as it was then.

Not half! Saw this posted elsewhere, Europe's strongest country that year...

1926608308_Screenshot2020-12-27at00_06_2

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I believed at the time and still firmly believe now that there was every chance United would’ve/could’ve beaten Liverpool in the final had it not been for that glaringly obviously bent ref. Imagine that happened now? There would’ve been absolute murder yet it was all swept under the carpet.

Again in parallel with Clough I seem to recall a similar thing happening to Forest in a European semi final in the early 80s (v Anderlecht springs to mind but that could easily be wrong).

It was great to see the whole of Scotland right behind United during those European runs, just as they were with Aberdeen too. I do wish football remained the same now as it was then.

Without doubt wee Jum should’ve been the Scotland manager, but he’d have really upset the applecart (which desperately needed upsetting) which put paid to his chances - no way would the SFA bigwigs have swapped their cosy wee closed-doors cabal for national team success.

RIP Jim

There was allegations made that Porto also bought the ref before Aberdeen’s semi final of the ecwc in 1984. 
 

Makes you think.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

There was allegations made that Porto also bought the ref before Aberdeen’s semi final of the ecwc in 1984. 
 

Makes you think.......

Albeit, Alex McLeish I think it was, has said they noticed nothing in the game to suggest that.

I wonder when he who said Jim McLean attacked John Barnes with a hammer will be on to pay his respects...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When AC Milan beat Dundee in the European Cup Semi, there were rumours of bribes by the Italians, obviously no idea if it’s true, but Roma certainly did it against Utd, and god bless the Romans. 

Im kinda too you to remember McLeans teams, but he did have some record. Doubt we will see anything like him or Fergies Aberdeen again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

He has a street named after him, Davie Sneddon Way. Flats that were built on part of the old stadium car park.

Talking about Davie got me thinking about another ex Killie man....Billy Dickson.I have a photo of his dad and myself from the early 70s taken at Kinkell Braes caravan site in St.Andrews.My mum and dad had a caravan up there and Billy's parents went there for their summer holidays.

Do you know if Billy is still living? I'm sure he emigrated to Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

There was allegations made that Porto also bought the ref before Aberdeen’s semi final of the ecwc in 1984. 
 

Makes you think.......

Remember that day, 2 Scottish sides in European semis on the same day, and before kick-off both were expected to get through. So glad I got to see those times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2020 at 7:57 PM, Wullie Anderson said:

Also ex Killie and Raith man Davie Sneddon. ☹️

My grans cousin. Every time his name appeared in press/Killie website would ask me to get a cutting (she was really proud when he got his MBE) and yesterday send her a few photos that Killie had put on their social media feeds.

When went to Killie v Aberdeen games would have my dad or gran tell me when setting of the bus “stick your head through the door and Uncle Davie will give you some comps for the match”.

Worked beside his grandson for a while.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...