Harry Souttar - Eligibility - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harry Souttar - Eligibility

Super_Scotlandfan

Watched Harry Souttar play for Stoke against Spurs. Despite making a few mistakes he didn't look out of place against one of the best teams in England. And has had a strong start to the season in the Championship

Looked up to see if he was still eligible after playing for Australia last year. He's played 2 competitive games for them in World Cup Qualifiers. 

I had always thought he now had no chance of playing for Scotland again. But according to this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54211943 there has been a rule change that will allow players to change nation provided that they have played no more than 3 times competitively under the age of 21. 

I'm obviously annoyed he chose Australia initially but he's young and naive. I'd hope that Clarke has an informal chat with him to allow him to discuss why he made the decision. 

4 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Watched Harry Souttar play for Stoke against Spurs. Despite making a few mistakes he didn't look out of place against one of the best teams in England. And has had a strong start to the season in the Championship

Looked up to see if he was still eligible after playing for Australia last year. He's played 2 competitive games for them in World Cup Qualifiers. 

I had always thought he now had no chance of playing for Scotland again. But according to this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54211943 there has been a rule change that will allow players to change nation provided that they have played no more than 3 times competitively under the age of 21. 

I'm obviously annoyed he chose Australia initially but he's young and naive. I'd hope that Clarke has an informal chat with him to allow him to discuss why he made the decision

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I also checked his Aussie appearances yesterday & his 2 caps where WC qualifiers so i thought that was that as 1 competitive appearance meant your committed. From that link you've posted I'm still not clear as the player mentioned who switched appears to have done so after only under 21 appearances. 

As for Souttar junior he has been getting high praise on the Stoke forum for a while now so I'm pissed off that he apparently felt the need to accept Australia's offer as Scotland didn't show enough interest. Big brother maybe could have encouraged him to be patient though the sfa scouts are probably more culpable for letting him slip through net. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully we don’t utilise that rule.

Souttar is also no better than what we already have. 

He's actually doing very well. Will be a premier league centre half within the next couple of years. 

In saying that, he made his choice. No point in us using a loophole to save  him traveling halfway around the world and get to the Euro's.

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd welcome him back.

He'll be in the EPL in a year or so, with or without Stoke.

I would also be very happy to welcome him back as the way he has been performing of late there's every chance your right & he will be EPL centre back in the not to distant future. 

Edited by theabsentee

Though i would also welcome Steven Caulker into the squad, English cap or not he has stated his desire to represent us publicly & is probably better than most if not all our current central defenders. 

If any players commitment is good enough for Steve Clarke it should also be good enough for all of us to except. 

9 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Though i would also welcome Steven Caulker into the squad, English cap or not he has stated his desire to represent us publicly & is probably better than most if not all our current central defenders. 

If any players commitment is good enough for Steve Clarke it should also be good enough for all of us to except. 

Caulkar is not a very good player the fact he had been connected to the England squad years ago doesn't change that. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Caulkar is not a very good player the fact he had been connected to the England squad years ago doesn't change that. 

If he's back to his best before his mental health problems then he would be a step up from most of our centre backs.

Not sure I would want him in tbh, the fact he's played for England is a sticking point. 

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Imagine the prospect of him lining up against us and John playing for Scotland.  Total joke.

Happened a few times in world football, Boatengs played against each other in Germany-Ghana at 2010 world cup although Kevin Prince is half brother.

Souttar is on rise now after finally breaking through at Stoke after years on the fringes so frustrating but this is at least the most solid base of CBs for a few years that Clarke has structured so he'd just be another decent option to have in the pool.

Would I trade Souttar for Lyndon Dykes if he'd just declared for Australia. Nah and I doubt Scotland would have been at the euros if both players had played for the country they were born in.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

His mum is Australian so fair enough, he’s made his choice and should stick with Australia. 

Yeah the more I read, the more committed he seems to be representing Australia. He’ll have the Olympics next year and World Cup in 2022. And looks like he loves honouring his Mum’s home country. 

Still seems like an odd decision from the outside looking in though. 

Proves that nationality isn’t binary and if guys like Che Adams and Caulker actively want to play for us then they should be accepted. 

8 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Yeah the more I read, the more committed he seems to be representing Australia. He’ll have the Olympics next year and World Cup in 2022. And looks like he loves honouring his Mum’s home country. 

Still seems like an odd decision from the outside looking in though. 

Proves that nationality isn’t binary and if guys like Che Adams and Caulker actively want to play for us then they should be accepted. 

I agree that nationality isn’t binary, especially when your parents or a parent are from a different country to the one you are born in. 

Mind watching an interview with Gary Breen and Kevin Kilbane, both grew up in England to Irish parents but always considered themselves Irish, this was after Declan Rice changed to England. 

In saying that, I'd ditch the granny rule. 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I agree that nationality isn’t binary, especially when your parents or a parent are from a different country to the one you are born in. 

Mind watching an interview with Gary Breen and Kevin Kilbane, both grew up in England to Irish parents but always considered themselves Irish, this was after Declan Rice changed to England. 

In saying that, I'd ditch the granny rule. 

There's a story where Kilbane showed upto the England school boys in his Ireland top.