Potential Future Players - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Future Players

Guest Scot1

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol yes horrendous if you are comparing them with Tierney and Robertson. Cooper, McKenna and hendry are guys who will never play at clubs like arsenal and Liverpool. 

"Three years ago we would have difficulties naming any at all" 

That statement is confusing. Are you saying three years ago we couldn't name any centre backs or left backs? I could of named you those three shit centre backs three years ago. 

Is there no middle ground between world class and shit? 

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Mediocrity, I think Derek McInnes manages them 🤪

Edited by Scot1

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Maybe shit is a bit harsh but I doubt very much that we will have a group of 6 or 7 centre backs who play at a decent level in a few years. The guys you have named are not destined for epl level or other top leagues. Considering left back is 1 position in the team we have produced 2 World class left backs and a guy who will play at a good level(Hickey).

We ain't producing a group of centre backs who play epl football. The last centre back we had who played consistently at epl level was David weir about 15 years ago. Tbh I was just confused as to what young promising centre backs we have coming through. I can only name 2 or 3 and even then those guys are hardly amazing. 

Which of our young centre backs do you see playing for a top european club in the next 5 years? I can't name any. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe shit is a bit harsh but I doubt very much that we will have a group of 6 or 7 centre backs who play at a decent level in a few years. The guys you have named are not destined for epl level or other top leagues. Considering left back is 1 position in the team we have produced 2 World class left backs and a guy who will play at a good level(Hickey).

We ain't producing a group of centre backs who play epl football. The last centre back we had who played consistently at epl level was David weir about 15 years ago. Tbh I was just confused as to what young promising centre backs we have coming through. I can only name 2 or 3 and even then those guys are hardly amazing. 

Which of our young centre backs do you see playing for a top european club in the next 5 years? I can't name any. 

Most likely is Liam Morrison

We've apparently watched Siriki Dembele at Peterborough a couple of times. So he might be in contention for the squad soon. He has played up front in a 2 before and looks a player. Doubt he'd get a call until after the euros.

Will definitely be playing at a much higher level come January or the summer. Prem teams and the OF watching him with not long left on his deal.

Steven Caulker

28 y/o

Alanyaspor (at the moment top of the Turkish league)

Centre-Back (right)

Lewis Ferguson 

21 y/o

Central Midfield (right-footed)

Aberdeen (14 apps, 8gls, 2 assists)

Scotland u21

Allan Campbell

22 y/o

Defensive midfield (right-footed)

Motherwell (contract coming to an end)

115 appearances, 12 goals

Scotland U21, 23 appearances 

Ross McCrorie

22 y/o

Defensive midfield ( right-back,  centre-half), right-footed

Rangers on loan at Aberdeen

15 appearances 

Scotland U21

27 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

We've apparently watched Siriki Dembele at Peterborough a couple of times. So he might be in contention for the squad soon. He has played up front in a 2 before and looks a player. Doubt he'd get a call until after the euros.

Will definitely be playing at a much higher level come January or the summer. Prem teams and the OF watching him with not long left on his deal.

Flynn Clarke also at Peterborough has played u19s nd getting game time but England have apparently been watching him. 

36 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Ben Nelson at Leicester could make it. 16 on the bench for Leicester a few weeks back and a regular in their u23s now

Never knew about him, looks very promising

Ben Nelson

16 y/o

Centre-half (from heat map, looks like left-sided)

Leicester City u18, u23

4 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I agree but I do feel in the future to get the best out of our squad it would be beneficial if we could play a back 4

In a perfect world, we'd play with a back four. All day long. But we haven't been able to produce the center backs capable of playing in a back four since the 80s and early 90s.

It's taken us 18 years to find our play back to basics (back three), I'm in no rush to scrap it.

I'd bet good money on our next Scotland manager playing with a four, though.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

In a perfect world, we'd play with a back four. All day long. But we haven't been able to produce the center backs capable of playing in a back four since the 80s and early 90s.

It's taken us 18 years to find our play back to basics (back three), I'm in no rush to scrap it.

No I wouldn’t change the shape anytime soon. But I do think to get the best from the talent that will be available to us in the coming years, a back 4 would be the ideal. 
Do you have an opinion on Steven Caulker, his team in Turkey seems to be doing very well. Right-side centre half, big, strong, has pace, 28 y/o. As a player I think I’d rather have him in the squad than say Hanley

31 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

No I wouldn’t change the shape anytime soon. But I do think to get the best from the talent that will be available to us in the coming years, a back 4 would be the ideal. 
Do you have an opinion on Steven Caulker, his team in Turkey seems to be doing very well. Right-side centre half, big, strong, has pace, 28 y/o. As a player I think I’d rather have him in the squad than say Hanley

Steven Caulker has played (and scored) for England. He shouldn't be within a light year of a Scotland jersey unless he's marking Dykes at Wembley next year.

Some good prospects already mentioned here, one youngster that hasn't been is Crystal Palace 19 year old attacking midfielder Scott Banks. Some Palace fans think he is ready to be tested at first team level now. 

Ciaran Dickson of Rangers & Scott Robertson of Celtic who is currently doing very well on loan at Gillingham also look like they have a chance.. 

All Midfielders of course 😉

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd be very worried about playing the current formation against the teams that we should/ need to beat in the world cup Qualifiers.

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Your last point is a very different one. I thought we were talking about who could play for Scotland. 

35 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Your last point is a very different one. I thought we were talking about who could play for Scotland. 

Well you were suggesting we could in the future be in the same situation with centre backs as we are with with left backs currently. That would require us to have 5 or 6 guys playing at the level of robertson or Tierney which I can't see happening. I would be genuinely surprised if we even produced 2 centre backs who play for top clubs like arsenal and Liverpool in the next 5/6 years. 

People are naming guys like morrison, Johnston and King as guys who have a good chance of making it big. I don't understand where ppl get these ideas from. How many young players have we had come through at big clubs in recent years. Also these guys have barely played any pro football so it's strange for ppl to think they have a massive chance until we actually see what their like in a first team environment. I have watched youth football and its a complete world away from first team football at the likes of bayern or man City. Its even a long way from top flight Scottish football imo. Take Ruben sammut for instance, guy captained Chelsea u23s and was regular for them for years but he's struggled to get games in the Scottish Championship at Falkirk. I can name you about 15 guys off the top of my head who have been at big clubs youth set ups and have failed to make it at a high level of football. 

The only centre back in the last 15 years that could genuinely cut it at epl level was David weir. We ain't suddenly going to start churning 5 or 6 guys of his ability or better. 

Centre back is a problem position that Clarke has managed to solve to a certain extent by successfully implementing the 352. He's managed to make relatively average/poor centre backs look good in that system and it's just as well because we have not got many decent young centre backs coming through. Porteous and Mcintyre are probably the only real prospects we have at the moment. Hendry could still come good but he is 25 so he isn't a young player anymore although centre backs do mature and develop a little later. 

It might be a slightly negative outlook but it's more realistic. 

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'd be very worried about playing the current formation against the teams that we should/ need to beat in the world cup Qualifiers.

The good thing about the current system (with the current players) is that it's versatile. In possession, against lesser teams, McTominay or Tierney can step into midfield.