Ugly football strips... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ugly football strips...

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😁

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.shortlist.com/news/50-worst-football-kits-ever/amp

Bad news for @HuddersfieldHuddersfield must be the epicentre of bad fashion they have 2 out of the 50 worst tops 😁 

The 'tie-dye' shirt is legendary...you still see people wearing them! It's so bad it's brilliant. I remember when it came out it was one of those 'head in your hand' moments but we all kind of fell in love with it. There was some sort of marketing thingy by the club a while ago about which retro shirts people would buy if they started reselling them & I'm pretty sure that one did well.

It also coincided with 2 legendary HTFC seasons: 1991-2; finished third, f***ked up in the play-offs (our first go at them) by conceding a last-minute goal at home to Peterborough & the following year being an epic tale of mid-table mediocrity.

As for the goalie shirt...I think that was a brilliant defensive idea. The opposition forward, bearing down on our hapless keeper would be so distracted by a bloke wearing a shirt that looked like a unicorn had puked all over it that he'd blaze it wide. We actually made it to Wembley that season (EFL Trophy final) for the first time since 1938, so it worked like a charm. Except in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley. When it didn't.

Edited by Huddersfield

15 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

In the wardrobe 😜

😂

Having lived through  70’s and 80’s  fashion my wardrobe has experienced a lot worse. 

Nothing could be worse than the tartan trilby hat with feather I used to wear going out in Paisley in the 80’s. 

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

The 'tie-dye' shirt is legendary...you still see people wearing them! It's so bad it's brilliant. I remember when it came out it was one of those 'head in your hand' moments but we all kind of fell in love with it. There was some sort of marketing thingy by the club a while ago about which retro shirts people would buy if they started reselling them & I'm pretty sure that one did well.

It also coincided with 2 legendary HTFC seasons: 1991-2; finished third, f***ked up in the play-offs (our first go at them) by conceding a last-minute goal at home to Peterborough & the following year being an epic tale of mid-table mediocrity.

As for the goalie shirt...I think that was a brilliant defensive idea. The opposition forward, bearing down on our hapless keeper would be so distracted by a bloke wearing a shirt that looked like a unicorn had puked all over it that he'd blaze it wide. We actually made it to Wembley that season (EFL Trophy final) for the first time since 1938, so it worked like a charm. Except in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley. When it didn't.

Its good to hear a story behind these hideous tops , as you say, sometimes something is so bad it is good. 

If it makes you feel any better Peterborough also made the top 50 worst tops 😊

76B12FD3-AC6B-4028-9AB1-DA0DDA147425.thumb.jpeg.b1190ca34d6abced97beda9ea48683bd.jpeg