Che Adams - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams

Taylor1996

Should Che Adams be asked to represent Scotland? (For the third time)  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Che Adams be asked to represent Scotland? (For the third time)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2021 at 07:55 PM

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Exactly. Saying he wants to concentrate on club football isn't exactly the same as him saying "no thanks, I want to play for England". 

It isn't an answer that's brimming with enthusiasm, but since he's also eligible to play for Antigua (I think) and England, as well as Scotland, it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of either of those nations either.

What I would say, though, is that if he is now interested in playing for us - and it's a big 'if' - then he should be the one to make the next move.

I strongly disagree.

He has been asked three times now by three different people and has said no. That much is not up for debate.

He was born in England, has lived all of his life in England and played all of his career in England and has also represented England at U-20 level - that tells you all you need to know. I'll bet he didn't even need to be asked too as he is English.

Let it drop folks. He is English, feels English and that is only natural. I hope he achieves his dream one day.

22 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Ok. This is a thread that I don't make to make, but if it keeps this topic (and his nane) from the "Scotland players in action" thread, then that's great.

In 2017 the SFA approached Che Adams to represent Scotland. First for the u21s, then in November for the senior team.

Should the SFA approach Che Adams for the third time?

My answer is a resounding no.

Forgetting the fact that he's rejected Scotland twice, here are his stats:

Played: 276 

Scored: 70

He's only had two seasons where he's scored double figured. Once in League One and once in the Championship.

He's played 42 times in the EPL and scored 8 goals. To put it into perspective, McBurnie has played 47 in the EPL and scored 7.

I'd much rather give Nisbet a chance.

Would like to see both in the squad

A no from me. If clarke calls him up and he accepts and plays etc, all the best to him and ill support him.  But if he had a call up from us and england to pick from i have no doubt he would pick england. Which is quite right as hes english. We are no more than a back up option. Personally i'd rather forget about him and not call him up.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I strongly disagree.

He has been asked three times now by three different people and has said no. That much is not up for debate.

He was born in England, has lived all of his life in England and played all of his career in England and has also represented England at U-20 level - that tells you all you need to know. I'll bet he didn't even need to be asked too as he is English.

Let it drop folks. He is English, feels English and that is only natural. I hope he achieves his dream one day.

You keep saying this, but I haven't seen anything from him unequivocally saying he isn't interested in playing for Scotland.

26 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You keep saying this, but I haven't seen anything from him unequivocally saying he isn't interested in playing for Scotland.

Why would he be interested? He is English born and bred raised in Leicester. The evidence is there on how he feels. He was called up for England semi-professional squad but turned pro and was deemed ineligible and then called up for England U-20 and turned up and has two caps at that level. He was not asked once or twice he just turned up. Scotland have grovelled, most unbecomingly, three times and he has said no. Let it drop and let the bloke get on with a push to fulfill his dream of playing for the country of his birth rather than for a country he has most likely never even visited.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I think the reaction of some people is a bit OTT. I don't think us asking him to play for us getting an answer then going back and asking again is us grovelling to him. I don't like the rules when it comes to what country you can play for. It should be where you were born and maybe your parents that's it. The way people move around now means there are loads of options to play for a different country. The Adams situation is a strange one he has never said he only wants to play for England but we are all presuming that is what he wants. I think a lot of people wanted him to play for us a while back because our forwards are not the greatest. I don't think that has changed, we only scored 1 goal against 3 teams we should have done better against. Now if we do call him up and he scores in the euros and gets us into the 2nd round for the first time I'm sure nobody will complain then. My Hart says he should never get a game but my head thinks give the guy a try he might be what we are looking for. Defence is a lot better the amount of midfield options is great but we are lacking someone who will score. 

4 hours ago, stitch said:

I think the reaction of some people is a bit OTT. I don't think us asking him to play for us getting an answer then going back and asking again is us grovelling to him. I don't like the rules when it comes to what country you can play for. It should be where you were born and maybe your parents that's it. The way people move around now means there are loads of options to play for a different country. The Adams situation is a strange one he has never said he only wants to play for England but we are all presuming that is what he wants. I think a lot of people wanted him to play for us a while back because our forwards are not the greatest. I don't think that has changed, we only scored 1 goal against 3 teams we should have done better against. Now if we do call him up and he scores in the euros and gets us into the 2nd round for the first time I'm sure nobody will complain then. My Hart says he should never get a game but my head thinks give the guy a try he might be what we are looking for. Defence is a lot better the amount of midfield options is great but we are lacking someone who will score. 

What more pieces of evidence do you need?

Born in England.

Raised and brought up in England.

Played every second of his career in England.

Called up for England semi-professional side but got knocked back but was ineligible.

Called up for and represented England U-20 twice (without having to be asked three times).

Asked by Malky Mackay to represent us over three years ago and said no.

Asked by Alex McLeish to represent us over two years ago and said no.

Asked by Steve Clarke to represent us about a year ago and said no.

You would need to be Stevie Wonder to not see the signs.

13 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's not a wrong or right question.

I may not agree with the people who vote yes in this poll, but they're still Scotland fans, so their opinion should be respected.

It's not a case of right or wrong.Steve Clarke has worked hard,and succeeded in creating a club mentality among the players.It stood out a mile in their celebrations after the game.The least thing we need is this guy getting fast tracked into the team,because it suits him,because we have reached the euros.We don't want players with no commitment to the cause.Asking him once was enough.If he had any real feeling about playing for Scotland,he would have jumped at the chance.As for all this talk about mcburnie and his commitment to Scotland.I suggest that wearing Scotland strip to secondary school in Leeds,shows where his heart is.It's just a small act,but it shows where his heart was,even back then.I bet this guy adams,would struggle to tell you the colour of a Scotland shirt.

47 minutes ago, thesaint said:

It's not a case of right or wrong.Steve Clarke has worked hard,and succeeded in creating a club mentality among the players.It stood out a mile in their celebrations after the game.The least thing we need is this guy getting fast tracked into the team,because it suits him,because we have reached the euros.We don't want players with no commitment to the cause.Asking him once was enough.If he had any real feeling about playing for Scotland,he would have jumped at the chance.As for all this talk about mcburnie and his commitment to Scotland.I suggest that wearing Scotland strip to secondary school in Leeds,shows where his heart is.It's just a small act,but it shows where his heart was,even back then.I bet this guy adams,would struggle to tell you the colour of a Scotland shirt.

I take a slightly different stance here and refuse to slate Adams. There is zilch evidence that he has shown any interest to play for us. He has never appeared in the newspapers or on TV prostituting himself for Scotland. It seems clear to me he holds no interest (and why would he?) He was born in, brought up in and lived all of his life in England and played every second of his career there. Leave him be. He is holding out for the country he feels totally committed to - England and good on him for that. Three rejections is enough and the last even came with (presumably) Armstrong having tried to persuade him.

As I see it this is being pushed by mischievous media.

47 minutes ago, thesaint said:

No. I totally agree with you.

Wouldn't have Che Adams anywhere near the conversation. He wants to play for England, and why wouldn't he? Good luck to him.

This topic shouldn't even be discussed.

I only created this thread to move the topic away from the Scottish Players in action.

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why would he be interested? He is English born and bred raised in Leicester. The evidence is there on how he feels. He was called up for England semi-professional squad but turned pro and was deemed ineligible and then called up for England U-20 and turned up and has two caps at that level. He was not asked once or twice he just turned up. Scotland have grovelled, most unbecomingly, three times and he has said no. Let it drop and let the bloke get on with a push to fulfill his dream of playing for the country of his birth rather than for a country he has most likely never even visited.

Why would he be interested? Dunno. Why was James McCarthy, Scottish born and bred and raised in Glasgow, interested in playing for the Republic of Ireland?  He qualifies to play for them through a grandparent. Technically he's as Irish as Adams is Scottish.

The rest of what you say is just supposition and conjecture. I've seen no evidence that he's told the SFA point-blank that he has no interest in playing for Scotland, or that the SFA have "grovelled" to him.

You might be right, he might have no interest in playing for us, in which case, he won't, so you've nothing to worry about.  I can't believe though that we'd have bothered asking him a second time if he'd clearly and unequivocally said No. 

I think alot of people on here consistently confuse their interpretation of information as facts.

The only direct qoute I can see comes from McLeish via Adams agent and it just states that he would like to concentrate on club football for the moment.

By all means have an opinion but please stop making statements like they are based on fact when they arent.

For what its worth im not bothered about Adams. I just think life isnt as black and white as some on here like to suggest. Try and have a think back to some of the things you used to say or do in your teens. Imagine you were never allowed to change your mind on them. 

If Adams or any player for that matter decides that they want to play for us, are committed, good enough and the manager thinks they would do a job then thats good enough for me.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think alot of people on here consistently confuse their interpretation of information as facts.

The only direct qoute I can see comes from McLeish via Adams agent and it just states that he would like to concentrate on club football for the moment.

By all means have an opinion but please stop making statements like they are based on fact when they arent.

For what its worth im not bothered about Adams. I just think life isnt as black and white as some on here like to suggest. Try and have a think back to some of the things you used to say or do in your teens. Imagine you were never allowed to change your mind on them. 

If Adams or any player for that matter decides that they want to play for us, are committed, good enough and the manager thinks they would do a job then thats good enough for me.

I suggest you go and watch the video posted up here around the time of the Serbia match. Denis Law reduced to tears about being asked to represent Scotland. That is what it means playing for Scotland - not 'Oh I want to concentrate on my club career.' Is that really what Scotland fans ache, crave, desire seeing playing for their country? I truly despair if they do.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I suggest you go and watch the video posted up here around the time of the Serbia match. Denis Law reduced to tears about being asked to represent Scotland. That is what it means playing for Scotland - not 'Oh I want to concentrate on my club career.' Is that really what Scotland fans ache, crave, desire seeing playing for their country? I truly despair if they do.

Thats deflection of the highest order. Some players will cry etc, some sing FOS at top of lungs. Others are merely proud to play for Scotland and some no doubt arent that bothered but it gets them some recognition.

Or are we saying that because there is no evidence of Adams crying with pride when his agent was asked that this in itself evidence of his saying he never wants to play for Scotland and only ever wants to play for England?

And in any case those screaming for him to be called up are being very presumptuous. I have not seen one newspaper or TV interview that has him actually saying he has any desire to play for Scotland. The only two pieces of info we have as evidence is he was asked to represent England (as he should as he was born there) and accepted and when later asked about switching to Scotland he declined. Lets drop this it is getting tedious.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And in any case those screaming for him to be called up are being very presumptuous. I have not seen one newspaper or TV interview that has him actually saying he has any desire to play for Scotland. The only two pieces of info we have as evidence is he was asked to represent England (as he should as he was born there) and accepted and when later asked about switching to Scotland he declined. Lets drop this it is getting tedious.

I haven't seen anyone screaming for his call up. I only see strong voices against it.

I see him as not much  different to Stuart McCall, Phil Beardsley, Chris Martin, James Morrison etc etc etc all ended up as good stalwarts, some better than others . If we accept these guys , we should accept Adams.

And if Steve Clarke calls him up that would be fine with me.👍 If he doesn't that's also fine.

It's Steve Clarke's call.

Maybe Stuart Armstrong had great powers of persuasion and has persuaded him in the error of his ways.🤔😄 

I fail to see why we believe we are so superb we can turn down anybody..... Let alone a striker.

Will football go the way rugby goes? It might? But I'm sure we all cheer on Scotland at the rugger when we are playing with players with even less of a link than Mr Adams.

The rules allow us to call him up. Other countries use it to their advantage.

Let's see what he can do..

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

I see him as not much  different to Stuart McCall, Phil Beardsley, Chris Martin, James Morrison etc etc etc all ended up as good stalwarts, some better than others . If we accept these guys , we should accept Adams.

The big difference is the timing.

Would have accepted him any time up until we qualified for the Euro's  and will accept him any time after the Euro's.

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

I haven't seen anyone screaming for his call up. I only see strong voices against it.

And if Steve Clarke calls him up that would be fine with me.👍 If he doesn't that's also fine.

It's Steve Clarke's call.

Maybe Stuart Armstrong had great powers of persuasion and has persuaded him in the error of his ways.🤔😄 

I fail to see why we believe we are so superb we can turn down anybody..... Let alone a striker.

Will football go the way rugby goes? It might? But I'm sure we all cheer on Scotland at the rugger when we are playing with players with even less of a link than Mr Adams.

The rules allow us to call him up. Other countries use it to their advantage.

Let's see what he can do..

The day football ends up like rugby,is the day I stop following Scotland.What is the point of international football  ifyou end up playing guys that have lived here for five years.The whole point of international football is taking pride in the guys from your country that represent you.If not,it just becomes like club football.A truly horrible idea.

21 minutes ago, thesaint said:

The day football ends up like rugby,is the day I stop following Scotland.What is the point of international football  ifyou end up playing guys that have lived here for five years.The whole point of international football is taking pride in the guys from your country that represent you.If not,it just becomes like club football.A truly horrible idea.

I agree, I would hate football to end up like rugby. 

People hated the granny rule when it came in. But it's here.

In fact even the faither rule wasn't enough to get a cap in the past. I'm sure some were against that as well.

Things change all the time.

FIFA have already said u can change nationality before you are 21 even if u have played for another country....

Things change ..

I'm sure you still support Scotland at the rugby ,as I do....

I am not calling for Adams to be called up, however if Steve Clarke calls him up , so be it, and he'll get my support.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Now - please close this thread. It's all been said.

Aye, and some of it a lot more than once. :lol:

I'm starting to think that that fuker chripper has spread a virus amongst other tambers which forces them to repeat the same things over, and over, and over......................................