Denmark withdrawing from world cup - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Denmark withdrawing from world cup

thesaint

Just read story that a group of Danish fans have asked their government to make a judgement on whether they should compete in the Quatar world cup because of their human rights record.Now,whether you think that's the correct thing to do or not.(we all know they should never have got it),I want to know why they have waited until the draw has been made,and the group matches arranged.They could have brought this up anytime in the last few years.I am sure I am not the only one who has booked Copenhagen in September.It's becoming almost impossible to plan trips,what with covid,and now this.I have lost money on five trips so far.It's unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbh I wouldn't be against Scotland boycotting this world Cup. Its a disgrace the treatment of the slaves/workers that have died just so Qatar can have a world Cup in the desert in winter. Would be good if all the European countries came together and withdrew. 

Since when did we become football's moral warriors!? after the last or next Israel game?  

2 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Since when did we become football's moral warriors!? after the last or next Israel game?  

Not sure tbh, its all about where we draw the line. I don't like us going to a world Cup where ppl have been used and abused as slaves in order to host it. I also don't like us playing a country like Israel who should be on alot of countries boycott list. I understand you could do this with lots of countries who have dodgy human rights problems but I think it's really bad that everybody is happy to watch and participate in a world Cup built on dead bodies and misery. 

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Just read story that a group of Danish fans have asked their government to make a judgement on whether they should compete in the Quatar world cup because of their human rights record.  

Convenient excuse IMO, shiting it from Scotland. 

1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I think this would have had more impact if this was announced after the qualifiers, especially if Denmark qualify. 

The ironic thing is, if Denmark pull out, Qatar will probably replace them in our group for those friendlies Fifa were touting. 

Think the friendlies cannot be intercontinental 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Infact we could kill two birds with one stone by boycotting this world Cup. Israel for their treatment of Palestinians and Qatar for their poor human rights. 

Throw in any future friendly with the yanks too please and russia and china.......

Where do we stop?

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Throw in any future friendly with the yanks too please and russia and china.......

Where do we stop?

Not sure, I get your point but I think it's a step too far having a world Cup in a country whose human rights are so poor and having built stadiums particulary for the world Cup using slave labour of which the death toll has been off the charts. 

Say what you want about the USA or even Russia but I don't think they use slaves or slave labour and they generally have a society where civil liberties are protected. Not sure about China so I won't comment on them. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure, I get your point but I think it's a step too far having a world Cup in a country whose human rights are so poor and having built stadiums particulary for the world Cup using slave labour of which the death toll has been off the charts. 

Say what you want about the USA or even Russia but I don't think they use slaves or slave labour and they generally have a society where civil liberties are protected. Not sure about China so I won't comment on them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/23/prisoner-speak-out-american-slave-labor-strike