Why cant teams challenge the old firm? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why cant teams challenge the old firm?

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell tried all this stuff in the early 00’s.

We managed to prove that you literally can’t give tickets away.

Yes, you’ll get a few people that will come along for the day, boys clubs, schools etc. but they all need adults to come with them, and your boys club coach for example might be happy to take some kids along once or twice a season, but they’re not doing it every Saturday.

Sticking with the Motherwell example, you’ll get locals who will come along, maybe come to cup finals, but a lot of them don’t have the time, money or interest to make it a fortnightly thing. Either that or they will support the old firm and lend their support to us on occasion.

I was actually thinking about Motherwell and Hibs when I wrote the post. I think Motherwell are maybe slightly different to the 3 clubs I mentioned because they dont have the same population area and also are very close to Glasgow.

The reason I was thinking of them and Hibs was that for a while both teams seemed to be held in high regard for promoting youth. Was that system scrapped as it just wasnt workable?

Hibs for example made alot of money around the time of Brown, Thompson, Riorden and OConnor. I know they used alot of this to build the training ground but from outside looking in, it looked like they got abit if money and then tried to spend it on more established players rather than stick to the model and bring more kids through.

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell tried all this stuff in the early 00’s.

We managed to prove that you literally can’t give tickets away.

Yes, you’ll get a few people that will come along for the day, boys clubs, schools etc. but they all need adults to come with them, and your boys club coach for example might be happy to take some kids along once or twice a season, but they’re not doing it every Saturday.

Sticking with the Motherwell example, you’ll get locals who will come along, maybe come to cup finals, but a lot of them don’t have the time, money or interest to make it a fortnightly thing. Either that or they will support the old firm and lend their support to us on occasion.

The sad fact is, Motherwell are the 3rd most popular team in Motherwell.

Could be worse, Livi are 5th in Livingston. 😂

Yip.  As I have told you before.  John Swinburn got me in to do market research in to the fact that Motherwell had 30000 fans at the cup final.  Then less than 5000 at the first game of the next season.  I know Motherwell like the back of my hand.  Maybe you could ask locals why Motherwell are the third supported team in Motherwell.  Maybe start by asking folk like Slasher?  But we all know the reason the likes of him do it.  Not rocket science.

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Yip.  As I have told you before.  John Swinburn got me in to do market research in to the fact that Motherwell had 30000 fans at the cup final.  Then less than 5000 at the first game of the next season.  I know Motherwell like the back of my hand.  Maybe you could ask locals why Motherwell are the third supported team in Motherwell.  Maybe start by asking folk like Slasher?  But we all know the reason the likes of him do it.  Not rocket science.

Did you not used to support Motherwell?

😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I think there’s an element of luck, and circumstances. Motherwell had a great crop come through at once, with McFadden, Pearson, Hammell, Lasley all coming through early 00s, we’d had McCulloch a few years before them, likes of Clarkson, Quinn, shortly after.

Our current crop, Turnbull, Campbell, Maguire are all doing well.

We are also losing players before they even play for the 1st team or as soon as they make an impression. Like Stewart Mckinstray who went to Leeds or Lee Erwin a few years ago.

I don’t think we’ve stopped producing players, they just get taken away earlier and occasionally you get a crop come through together. Sometimes circumstances (admin) mean they get flung in. That season we finished bottom with McFadden, Pearson etc. Was brilliant. Some great results.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

😂😂😂

I did and was heartbroken when we got beat in the semi final against Rangers.  My sousin and uncle took me to the games.  But then I got taken to Ibrox and got swepped in by the sheer size of the crowds.  My only excuse is that I was a young laddie and impressionable.I used to go a lot to the hospitality at Fir Park when I worked at the college.  Lian Dempster used to e-mail with deals.  £25 for the, I think it was called the Centenary suite.  Used to get a mini bus for my pals when Hibs or Hearts were playing.  Also mind one day when I took the Rangers boys to the Davie Cooper stand.  Wee Carlsberg bar up there.  Great days.

22 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

😂😂😂

My late dad's claim to fame was that he taught JocFaddee Jordan at Coatbridge College.  I taught McFadden.  Hammel was never there as he was traiining with first team at an early age.  I guess maybe 17.  But I did teach McFadden and then watched him in Paris.

6 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

My late dad's claim to fame was that he taught JocFaddee Jordan at Coatbridge College.  I taught McFadden.  Hammel was never there as he was traiining with first team at an early age.  I guess maybe 17.  But I did teach McFadden and then watched him in Paris.

Hammell came into the 1st team early when we sold McMillan (McCulloch and Brannan) to Wigan.

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Hammell came into the 1st team early when we sold McMillan (McCulloch and Brannan) to Wigan.

Aye, he was supposed to be in the class but always got taken away for the first team training.  Never met him.  One of my stories in call that was what I used to say about working in teams.  Together Everyone Achieves More.  Pish I know!!  But McFadden said Medals at the end.  Never forget that.