Billy Gilmour - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

I understand the decision Tuchel made, a short time in the job and a high pressure one at that, I wouldn't let anyone go out on loan in the chance I regretted it later. His loyalty is Chelsea and doing all he can to get Champions League for next season. I wouldn't rush any of the three names mentioned above , we just qualified for a tournament without a single one of them. A 23 man squad isn't that big and I reckon as long as they are fit 19-21 of to them are already picked for Clarke with a few wait and sees. We can look at a few in March but I doubt more than two of these names make it - Gauld, Hickey, Turnbull, Hendry, Gilmour, Patterson. Look at the games we had in 2020 - there wasn't any suitable opportunities to be checking out anyone, March is a tad easier to make it happen but prepare yourself for disapointment  fellas I reckon Gilmour won't play for us until after the Euros. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I understand the decision Tuchel made, a short time in the job and a high pressure one at that, I wouldn't let anyone go out on loan in the chance I regretted it later. His loyalty is Chelsea and doing all he can to get Champions League for next season. I wouldn't rush any of the three names mentioned above , we just qualified for a tournament without a single one of them. A 23 man squad isn't that big and I reckon as long as they are fit 19-21 of to them are already picked for Clarke with a few wait and sees. We can look at a few in March but I doubt more than two of these names make it - Gauld, Hickey, Turnbull, Hendry, Gilmour, Patterson. Look at the games we had in 2020 - there wasn't any suitable opportunities to be checking out anyone, March is a tad easier to make it happen but prepare yourself for disapointment  fellas I reckon Gilmour won't play for us until after the Euros. 

A big part of the problem with introducing the Nations League and dispensing with friendlies.  Makes it much more difficult to introduce new players into the team as every game is important.

I agree, it will happen but there is more risk and perhaps sacrifice but I like the higher quantity of competitive football over friendlies.  Perhaps it is time for a B team once again that would solve the problem, you would have B Team games happening the same window and you need to delegate them to your assistant or hire someone purely for that purpose - not a bad idea actually because you can get some continuity in management and get someone Tommy Burns like to get them prepared for any future opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I agree, it will happen but there is more risk and perhaps sacrifice but I like the higher quantity of competitive football over friendlies.  Perhaps it is time for a B team once again that would solve the problem, you would have B Team games happening the same window and you need to delegate them to your assistant or hire someone purely for that purpose - not a bad idea actually because you can get some continuity in management and get someone Tommy Burns like to get them prepared for any future opportunities. 

Problem with your 'B' team idea isn't in itself that its a problem but that U21s also tend to play at the same time as the 'A' team.   Given that a lot of the players you'd be looking to introduce would qualify for the 21s that would restrict your options.   Even if we were prepared to do that, most of the other nations wouldn't so you'd be stuck with no opposition.

Regardless of that, playing players in B internationals can only get you so far as what you are looking for when you bring a new player in is two things, firstly how do they fit in - on and off the field - with the rest of the squad and to ease them into the squad with no pressure.

On paper the Nations League looks like it should be better but it's not without its problems - constantly playing Israel for example - and there are unintended consequences like this.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Problem with your 'B' team idea isn't in itself that its a problem but that U21s also tend to play at the same time as the 'A' team.   Given that a lot of the players you'd be looking to introduce would qualify for the 21s that would restrict your options.   Even if we were prepared to do that, most of the other nations wouldn't so you'd be stuck with no opposition.

Regardless of that, playing players in B internationals can only get you so far as what you are looking for when you bring a new player in is two things, firstly how do they fit in - on and off the field - with the rest of the squad and to ease them into the squad with no pressure.

On paper the Nations League looks like it should be better but it's not without its problems - constantly playing Israel for example - and there are unintended consequences like this.

You raise some good points there, maybe call up more than the 25 players but it does mean you spread yourself thin in terms of coaching. 

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Gilmour playing in the under 23s tonight. Least he is getting some game time. 

That's still dissapointing. He should have went on loan if he had a choice

If I was touchel I would do exactly the same.  He has the option to bring in gilmour in whenever he feels like. If he loaned him out he wouldn’t have that option.  Gilmour played in the fa cup game and was poor.  It’s up to billy to force his way back in. Touchel quite right won’t give a toss about the Scotland team.  

Just unfortunate from Gilmour’s point of view that Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante are all doing fine and they don’t seem to have any injury or fitness issues in his position despite playing 3 games a f**king week..... feel sorry for the boy 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If I was touchel I would do exactly the same.  He has the option to bring in gilmour in whenever he feels like. If he loaned him out he wouldn’t have that option.  Gilmour played in the fa cup game and was poor.  It’s up to billy to force his way back in. Touchel quite right won’t give a toss about the Scotland team.  

So the best way to develop a young player in the first team is to drop him back to the u23’s where he is clearly several levels above? Mount went on loan to Derby, now look at him.... Harvey Elliot at Liverpool has went on loan to Blackburn and has been a standout. It’s clear to everyone bar Tuchel that Gilmour should have went out on loan if he wasn’t part of his first team plans. Barring an injury crisis he won’t even get on the bench at this rate.

Edited by SWMM82

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

So the best way to develop a young player in the first team is to drop him back to the u23’s where he is clearly several levels above? Mount went on loan to Derby, now look at him.... Harvey Elliot at Liverpool has went on loan to Blackburn and has been a standout. It’s clear to everyone bar Tuchel that Gilmour should have went out on loan if he wasn’t part of his first team plans. Barring an injury crisis he won’t even get on the bench at this rate.

What if Chelsea get injuries? He is a safety net.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

What if Chelsea get injuries? He is a safety net.

Have you seen their bench recently? Looks like they would rather load it with full backs than midfield cover.... if Gilmour is going to develop into the top player he’s got the ability to become, he now needs to be playing senior games.... not taking steps back to u23 football...

Edited by SWMM82

4 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Tuchel had just came in, limiting his options was not in his best interest. I wish he had been able to go,but it didn't happen. 

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He had his pick of lower half EPL clubs to go on loan to its very strange management. 

A loan anywhere and he was guaranteed for the euro squad. 

We do not know he turned down a loan. There was a rumour that Lampard was going to send him on loan. The new manager probably wanted to have a proper look at him and there wasn’t enough time to do that properly before the window shut. 

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Suspect he will be out on loan next season.  No big issue for me about the euros - he is not ready.  One for the future if he can force his way in to a regular spot in the epl. 

We are always guilty of assuming a player isn't ready. It would no doubt be a gamble taking a young player but we can't just rule him out because other players have played more football.

I hope he does go out on loan for the sake of his own career. 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We are always guilty of assuming a player isn't ready. It would no doubt be a gamble taking a young player but we can't just rule him out because other players have played more football.

I hope he does go out on loan for the sake of his own career. 

he is not ready in the sense that there are better players.  If he was good enough he would be playing for Chelsea every week.

Just now, Malcolm said:

he is not ready in the sense that there are better players.  If he was good enough he would be playing for Chelsea every week.

That's a ridiculous statement 🙄

Very few players of Gilmour’s age are playing first team football at a club of Chelsea’s size. 

What's frustrating is the manager doesn’t seem focused on giving him game time to aid his development. But that’s football and it’s up to the manager end of the day. 

Gilmour will have some decisions to make come the end of the season. 

I’d still be tempted to pick him for our next squad, his potential warrants it, even if an established back up misses out. 

I don’t think we can say with any confidence that other players are better than him, for us that is. 

There’s every possibility he could play for us and be better than McGregor or McLean for example. 

Won’t know until we play him. 

At the same time, I’d understand if Clarke went with the same team that got us to the euros. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt