Billy Gilmour - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

24 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Like to say why?

Your saying he isn't good enough because he doesn't play fot Chelsea every week. Which of our midfielders would start for Chelsea every week? Probably only McTominay 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Your saying he isn't good enough because he doesn't play fot Chelsea every week. Which of our midfielders would start for Chelsea every week? Probably only McTominay 

I doubt McTominay would but then again, does it even matter?

The aim is to get the best 11 for Scotland, which may include Gilmour and definitely McTominay. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

he is not ready in the sense that there are better players.  If he was good enough he would be playing for Chelsea every week.

There is not a chance that say Kenny McLean is a better player than Gilmour. He’s a bit taller and more experienced obviously.... but that’s about it! Every technical aspect of the game, Gilmour is far superior.... even at just 19 years old, which should not go against him. And i don’t think McLean is a bad player at all.

Edited by SWMM82

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

My midfield 3 would be jack, Mcginn, mctominay.  I wouldn’t put gilmour in ahead of any of them just now.

Yeah to be fair we can agree on that!😂 McTominay box-to-box rather than sitting though? 
Gilmour on the bench

37 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Yeah to be fair we can agree on that!😂 McTominay box-to-box rather than sitting though? 
Gilmour on the bench

yeah, if we were going Craig brown style, jack would play the McCall/lambert role and mctominay and Mcginn, would play the Mcallister and Collins roles.

as for the bench, it’s tricky....   you could make a decent case for gilmour, but really only if he gets decent game time, then I would be looking at mcgregor, fleck, and possibly turnbull.

depends if he plans to play four or three in centre midfield.

I think its safe to say that it will be that way until the end of the season. I could understand if the manager was putting 2 centre mids on the bench to cover the 2 centre mids playing however he has reguarly only had 1 centre mid for this positon and opted to have 2 left backs on the bench instead.

Ive said it on here before, Gilmour needs to be selfish. His agent needs to be touting him about just to make Chelsea sit up a little bit.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another Chelsea game and another game Gilmour is frozen out of this evening. At home to Everton and no place in the side or on the bench.

While it doesn't look encouraging for Gilmour in the short term it's hard to argue that what Tuchel is doing isn't working as he's unbeaten in 11 games since taking over - 8 wins, three draws, thirteen goals scored, two conceded.

What happens in the summer will be telling in terms of who comes in, who gets moved on permanently, who goes on loan and where.

The reality is that Gilmour's place in the squad is probably where his relative experience and ability means he should be.  Players ahead of him are - at this time - all more experienced and at least the equal of him in terms of ability if not better.

It's not that Tuchel doesn't rate him, rather that Lampard was prepared to fast track him to an extent.

24 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He's not getting that now either

This might not be great for his prospects for the Euros - although even if Clarke were to include him in the squad, I doubt he'd feature - but one way or another he'll be playing next season.

His current situation, part of the first team squad but not making the bench on a regular basis is an accurate reflection on his standing in the squad.  That's not a reflection on his ability or potential rather that - at this point - there are more experienced and/or better players than him in his position in the Chelsea squad.

I saw someone on here decrying the fact that N'Golo Kante was being picked ahead of Gilmour.  This is a guy who has won the EPL twice, FA Cup twice, Europa League once and won the World Cup three years ago.  

It may be that Gilmour goes on to be as good a player as Kante or even better but he is not there yet.

I suspect that Gilmour may go out on loan next season but it won't be to Rangers, it'll be another EPL club or possibly one in the Bundesliga.  Depending on who Chelsea move out and bring in this summer, he may stay as part of the first team squad, but only if they think he will play regularly.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

This might not be great for his prospects for the Euros - although even if Clarke were to include him in the squad, I doubt he'd feature - but one way or another he'll be playing next season.

His current situation, part of the first team squad but not making the bench on a regular basis is an accurate reflection on his standing in the squad.  That's not a reflection on his ability or potential rather that - at this point - there are more experienced and/or better players than him in his position in the Chelsea squad.

I saw someone on here decrying the fact that N'Golo Kante was being picked ahead of Gilmour.  This is a guy who has won the EPL twice, FA Cup twice, Europa League once and won the World Cup three years ago.  

It may be that Gilmour goes on to be as good a player as Kante or even better but he is not there yet.

I suspect that Gilmour may go out on loan next season but it won't be to Rangers, it'll be another EPL club or possibly one in the Bundesliga.  Depending on who Chelsea move out and bring in this summer, he may stay as part of the first team squad, but only if they think he will play regularly.

It’s one managers opinion against another. 

Chelsea’s own fans think he is better than Jorginho and want him to play ahead of him. 

The most frustrating aspect is Gilmour had his pick of mid table or bottom half teams to join on loan & he would have 10 games under his belt by now, however that was blocked and its worked out poorly for him and his international chances. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

It’s one managers opinion against another. 

Chelsea’s own fans think he is better than Jorginho and want him to play ahead of him. 

The most frustrating aspect is Gilmour had his pick of mid table or bottom half teams to join on loan & he would have 10 games under his belt by now, however that was blocked and its worked out poorly for him and his international chances. 

"Chelsea's own fans think".  I had a season ticket at the Bridge for 20 years until a couple of years ago and I don't think he should be starting.  I happen to think he should be on the bench.   I think he will turn out to be a real player.

I'm not aware of massive calls for him to start but then maybe that's because the Chelsea fans I know are those that - pre-COVID - actually go to games and aren't people from Mumbai or Dubai on Twitter.

It is one manager's opinion, Lampard rated Gilmour higher than Tuchel does - at this point.  Lampard lost too many games and got sacked.  Tuchel is unbeaten.  Not saying that's all down to Gilmour, I doubt any of it is, but - at this point - it looks like Tuchel's judgement is better than Lampard's - and I am one of Lampard's biggest fans.

Guest ElChris04

If I was Billy I’d be on the blower to my agent asking for a move away at first opportunity constantly. 

He must be one of the best youngsters in Europe who isn’t getting game time, whatever your thoughts are on if he should be starting over Jorginho or Mount the reserves are no place for a player of his potential and ability. 

The old and current mentality that young players should wait it out because they are at a “big club” is one that has ruined so many promising players careers waiting for a chance they never received. No football club no matter how big they are is worth ruining or stagnating development for. 

If they can’t guarantee them first team football, let them go and let them get their chance somewhere else rather than keeping them around for numbers. 

Edited by ElChris04

49 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

If I was Billy I’d be on the blower to my agent asking for a move away at first opportunity constantly. 

He must be one of the best youngsters in Europe who isn’t getting game time, whatever your thoughts are on if he should be starting over Jorginho or Mount the reserves are no place for a player of his potential and ability. 

The old and current mentality that young players should wait it out because they are at a “big club” is one that has ruined so many promising players careers waiting for a chance they never received. No football club no matter how big they are is worth ruining or stagnating development for. 

If they can’t guarantee them first team football, let them go and let them get their chance somewhere else rather than keeping them around for numbers. 

I think a bit of perspective is needed. He’s still younger than Barry Ferguson when he made his debut for Rangers. Ferguson was a sensational talent, but I don’t remember calls for him to leave Rangers when he wasn’t being picked by Walter Smith. 

If Billy Gilmour is good enough, he will get his chance ...... 

If Clarke selects a large squad for the triple header, then I can see no harm with several youngsters / players on the periphery getting a shout. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye we need to calm down a bit. He’s got great potential but he’s still not played enough games to warrant some of the hype. 

It's a different game now. Clubs like Chelsea change managersore times than I change shoes so they are less likely to give youngsters a chance.

Lampard gave them a chance because he was initially unable to sign any players. 

3 hours ago, broraboy said:

If Billy Gilmour is good enough, he will get his chance ...... 

If Clarke selects a large squad for the triple header, then I can see no harm with several youngsters / players on the periphery getting a shout. 

It's not that simple.

Managers either take to players, or they take a disliking towards them. 

Jose Mourinho did the latter with De Bruyne and Salah and bombed them out of Chelsea.

Chelsea, again. What a nightmare of a football club.

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's a different game now. Clubs like Chelsea change managersore times than I change shoes so they are less likely to give youngsters a chance.

Lampard gave them a chance because he was initially unable to sign any players. 

I think Lampard seemed more invested in giving Gilmour a chance and he’d probably have played more games if Lampard stayed in charge.  

If Gilmour and his advisers were naive before joining Chelsea, he’ll know what he’s up against now and should at the very least push for a loan move this summer to a club / manager who cares about his development. 

Still think it was the right move in terms of access to world class coaching, facilities and training with great players but now it’s time to play week in week out.