Billy Gilmour - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

20 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

File under Nathan Patterson. 

Objectively, how good is Patterson?

(I've given up entirely on watching Scottish football. Even highlights. Unless I have a vested interest)

I've seen him for the u21s and he looks good, but it's hard to gauge u21 football to professional leagues. Kai Kennedy looks a star at u21 level, but I've seen him twice playing for ICT, he looks very ordinary.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I was being ironic for the benefit of Caledonian Craig. Both are already first team players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gilmour starts the next game after Chelsea’s defeat. 

Look I get you are a mad keen Rangers fan. I am a mad keen Scotland fan. You want what is best for Rangers - fine. I want what is best for Scotland. You are looking from a Rangers viewpoint of that we have Tavernier and Patterson as back-up. My mindset is Patterson needs first team football now allowing him to develop and it may see him be able to push for a slot in the Euro squad getting himself notoriety. Gilmour does not need that now - he already has it. I listen to Lampard and he speaks in terms that he sees Gilmour as part of his plans. I don't get that same gist from Gerrard. Sorry if that pees people off but that is how I see it.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Look I get you are a mad keen Rangers fan. I am a mad keen Scotland fan. You want what is best for Rangers - fine. I want what is best for Scotland. You are looking from a Rangers viewpoint of that we have Tavernier and Patterson as back-up. My mindset is Patterson needs first team football now allowing him to develop and it may see him be able to push for a slot in the Euro squad getting himself notoriety. Gilmour does not need that now - he already has it. I listen to Lampard and he speaks in terms that he sees Gilmour as part of his plans. I don't get that same gist from Gerrard. Sorry if that pees people off but that is how I see it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-makes-rangers-fan-23157918

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The report also states what I have said all along: The Glasgow-born kid has the toughest task of any player at the club – trying to displace free-scoring Ibrox skipper James Tavernier.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I prefer Gerrard’s words over that of a tabloid journalist. 

“Not only is he a talent but he’s hard working and humble.

“His application every day is superb and he’s a good kid. He’s respectful and wants to learn.

“And he’s ready. There are a lot of pieces that have to go around the talent.”

“Patterson is important here. He’s not a back-up right-back – he’s a top right-back within our group.

“And when called on we have every confidence in him0_Rangers-Training-The-Rangers-Training-

(Image: Rangers FC/PA Images)

“People need to understand what Nathan is getting in terms of being around guys like Tav and Connor Goldson.

“He’s competing against Ryan Kent, Brandon Barker, Greg Stewart, Joe Aribo and Ianis Hagi every day. 

“He’s getting an education that people don’t see.

“His performance on Thursday shows that he’s ready. Of course, he’s still learning and he’s a little bit raw.

“But I love that enthusiasm and the adrenaline that was pumping out of his body.” 

Gerrard is talking directly to you CC, so I’d take it as a compliment. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

40 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Objectively, how good is Patterson?

(I've given up entirely on watching Scottish football. Even highlights. Unless I have a vested interest)

I've seen him for the u21s and he looks good, but it's hard to gauge u21 football to professional leagues. Kai Kennedy looks a star at u21 level, but I've seen him twice playing for ICT, he looks very ordinary.

I'll take it from that avoidance that he isn't very good.

Shame.

The good thing about playing with wing-backs is that you can just as easily slot a midfielder there.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

“Not only is he a talent but he’s hard working and humble.

“His application every day is superb and he’s a good kid. He’s respectful and wants to learn.

“And he’s ready. There are a lot of pieces that have to go around the talent.”

“Patterson is important here. He’s not a back-up right-back – he’s a top right-back within our group.

“And when called on we have every confidence in him.

0_Rangers-Training-The-Rangers-Training-

(Image: Rangers FC/PA Images)

“People need to understand what Nathan is getting in terms of being around guys like Tav and Connor Goldson.

“He’s competing against Ryan Kent, Brandon Barker, Greg Stewart, Joe Aribo and Ianis Hagi every day. 

“He’s getting an education that people don’t see.

“His performance on Thursday shows that he’s ready. Of course, he’s still learning and he’s a little bit raw.

“But I love that enthusiasm and the adrenaline that was pumping out of his body.” 

Gerrard is talking directly to you CC, so I’d take it as a compliment. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I prefer Gerrard’s words over that of a tabloid journalist. 

So you can see him dropping his skipper who scores goals in place of a Scotland U-21? I don't I am afraid. Is he better than Tavernier? Potentially - yes but we won't find that out which is the frustrating thing here. 

I am not having a go at Gerrard at all. He is picking a side that is best for him and Rangers and he'll go on picking players that has got the club to where they are at present and Tavernier has been a key part of that. 

What that means is barring Tavernier having a massive loss in form or a long-term injury then Patterson will have to make do with an odd game here and an odd game there at a time that he'd thrive on regular first team football and could propel him into the Euro squad. What I am saying is I cannot see Gerrard selecting Patterson over Tavernier unless he needs to.

I hope I am wrong and he forces a regular starting slot before the end of this season but I cannot see how that scenario comes about. I feel we (Scotland) need to be more dynamic with our selections at times. Integrate him into the national squad. I have seen Wales do the same with youngsters at Liverpool who had never played a match for Liverpool yet were given a chance for Wales and scored crucial goals. Sadly, Scotland are not that forward thinking.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So you can see him dropping his skipper who scores goals in place of a Scotland U-21? I don't I am afraid. Is he better than Tavernier? Potentially - yes but we won't find that out which is the frustrating thing here. 

I am not having a go at Gerrard at all. He is picking a side that is best for him and Rangers and he'll go on picking players that has got the club to where they are at present and Tavernier has been a key part of that. 

What that means is barring Tavernier having a massive loss in form or a long-term injury then Patterson will have to make do with an odd game here and an odd game there at a time that he'd thrive on regular first team football and could propel him into the Euro squad. What I am saying is I cannot see Gerrard selecting Patterson over Tavernier unless he needs to.

I hope I am wrong and he forces a regular starting slot before the end of this season but I cannot see how that scenario comes about. I feel we (Scotland) need to be more dynamic with our selections at times. Integrate him into the national squad. I have seen Wales do the same with youngsters at Liverpool who had never played a match for Liverpool yet were given a chance for Wales and scored crucial goals. Sadly, Scotland are not that forward thinking.

I don’t think it wise to rush him through for the Euros. He’s only just broken into the u21s. He’s going to be a top player but it will take around 18 months for him to really develop and he’ll get plenty of games to do that. As I said before, Rangers have a routine of 6 games a fortnight and Tavernier won’t play in all of them. He may also get injured. 

I don’t think it wise to rush him through for the Euros. He’s only just broken into the u21s. He’s going to be a top player but it will take around 18 months for him to really develop and he’ll get plenty of games to do that. As I said before, Rangers have a routine of 6 games a fortnight and Tavernier won’t play in all of them. He may also get injured. 

I don't buy that. Like I say Wales and other countries have blooded players with little or no first team experience but are ear-marked as talents and they have thrived. Fletcher was the last such example I remember for us. He played for us with virtually no first team football for Man. United and went on to have a long career for Scotland and was one of our leading lights in the dark times.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't buy that. Like I say Wales and other countries have blooded players with little or no first team experience but are ear-marked as talents and they have thrived. Fletcher was the last such example I remember for us. He played for us with virtually no first team football for Man. United and went on to have a long career for Scotland and was one of our leading lights in the dark times.

I think we will need street wise players such as O’Donnell for the Euros. Group games are a different story, but Patterson is still a boy and has more filling out to do. It’s easier for an attacker to come in at a young age, but I don’t see the need to rush him into the team. I look forward to him and Hickey battling it out for a starting spot after the Euros. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Really?

Ok. That's fair enough.

It's relative, though, isn't it? I mean, what's a bigger achievement, playing each week in the SPL/English Championship or being on the bench of a club as big as Chelsea?

Gilmour should be one of the first names in the 23 man squad.

I’d definitely include him in the squad now and give him games in preparation for next summer. 

I think we will need street wise players such as O’Donnell for the Euros. Group games are a different story, but Patterson is still a boy and has more filling out to do. It’s easier for an attacker to come in at a young age, but I don’t see the need to rush him into the team. I look forward to him and Hickey battling it out for a starting spot after the Euros. 

Oh for sure O'Donnell is needed in the squad but we also need to be bedding in players now who will take over from O'Donnell so I see no problem integrating Patterson into the squad as back-up where he can do further learning.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

See above for Gerrard’s assessment.

Translation: "Patterson hasn't played enough for me to form an opinion"

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

See this Iniesta thing? Just don't get it. Iniesta was more of a left midfielder drifting in; Gilmour is more a defensive mid or at least central. Surely Xavi is a better compatison? Actually I see him as similar to Luka Modric.

It's best to take comments like that with a pinch of salt.

Very few of those predictions even come to fruition, maybe with Del Piero (labelled the new Roberto Baggio). Certainly didn't work when Steve Fulton was cast as the new Roberto Baggio.

Edited by Taylor1996

• 4 weeks later...

Cant work out whats happening with Gimlour. He came back from injury and I could understand why he wasnt being rushed back into the team. Especially as Chelsea were flying at the time.

He started in the Champions League and got MOTM. He then didnt feature for the next few weeks until he got less than 10 mins when losing at Everton.

He then hasnt featured at all despite being on the bench all through the busy festive period. Making it even more strange is that Chelsea's form has went off a cliff.

He then gets brought on for 30 mins against one of the best teams in the league when 3 nil down.

Everytime he has started a match for Chelsea bar 1 he has played exceptionally well. More often than not picking up MOTM. Surely he should be expecting some more game time.

59 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Cant work out whats happening with Gimlour. He came back from injury and I could understand why he wasnt being rushed back into the team. Especially as Chelsea were flying at the time.

He started in the Champions League and got MOTM. He then didnt feature for the next few weeks until he got less than 10 mins when losing at Everton.

He then hasnt featured at all despite being on the bench all through the busy festive period. Making it even more strange is that Chelsea's form has went off a cliff.

He then gets brought on for 30 mins against one of the best teams in the league when 3 nil down.

Everytime he has started a match for Chelsea bar 1 he has played exceptionally well. More often than not picking up MOTM. Surely he should be expecting some more game time.

I wouldn't worry. Firstly, after his debut he had a niggling injury. But he is only young and they don't want to put pressure on him. Don't forget he has big money signings in front of him - Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho plus home-grown youngsters challenging too. Very few players get a game every week; look at Foden at Man City for example. I think Billy will get plenty game time between now and May.

To be honest, maybe it's a good thing he isn't in the firing line. Chelsea are shocking at the moment with Frank Lampard on the brink of being fired.

It won't help his chances of getting into the squad for the Euro's or the World Cup qualifiers, though.

Edited by Taylor1996

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

they are talking about him on sky sports transfer centre right now saying there’s a lot of teams in for him so he won’t have any shortage of options. 

I would love for some other big club to buy him outright as I think Chelsea are wasting a talented player who is capable of playing for a top club at 19.