Billy Gilmour - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

You want to see or do you mean we should try the 2 of them in the march games. 2 possibly great players but that doesn't mean they will play well together. I hope they do gel and we will have a brilliant centre midfield for the next 10 years. 

Edited by stitch

1 hour ago, stitch said:

You want to see or do you mean we should try the 2 of them in the march games. 2 possibly great players but that doesn't mean they will play well together. I hope they do gel and we will have a brilliant centre midfield for the next 10 years. 

If they do, we will. McGinn isn’t bad either.

56 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Rangers looking to get Gilmour on loan to give him more game time.  Makes sense.

Ha madness more like, for him to go there. So he can pit his wits against Hamilton, Livingston and Ross county? Do me a favour. Everyone saw what he did to Liverpool last season - he needs to be playing top level.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Ha madness more like, for him to go there. So he can pit his wits against Hamilton, Livingston and Ross county? Do me a favour. Everyone saw what he did to Liverpool last season - he needs to be playing top level.

But he is hardy getting game time there.  Not thinking of Rangers btw thinking of him and Scotland  He already knows Rangers and still in Europe.  Playing against Hamilton etc might be good to toughen him up.  I don't think it will happen, it was in the Sun online but Lampard didn't seem too keen.

Chelsea have two games per week at the moment. I really don't see game time as an issue for him at Chelsea and Lampard rates the lad. Better for him to sit tight and play in Europe and FA cup games. There is no guarantee he would start for Rangers every week. 

Edited by Saint4805

14 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

Chelsea have two games per week at the moment. I really don't see game time as an issue for him at Chelsea and Lampard rates the lad. Better for him to sit tight and play in Europe and FA cup games. There is no guarantee he would start for Rangers every week. 

Aye I think you are right.  Have to remember he has just come back from injury.

19 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

There are two guarantees he would start for Rangers every week:

1. Chelsea won't loan him out to sit on the bench;

2. He's better than any other midfield player they have (and any other midfielder in Scotland, for that matter).

1 minute ago, wee-toon-red said:

2. He's better than any other midfield player they have (and any other midfielder in Scotland, for that matter).

I have never seen him as I don't watch English football.  But the reports are great and I know Lampard rates him.  Rangers have enough midfielders to win the league imo.

24 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Hed walk in to the midfield of a lot of EPL sides..

I try not to get over excited about Scottish young players but Gilmour looks like the real deal. Not just in terms of being good enough for the EPL but potentially top top class. 

He rarely gives the ball away but its his vision and movement that impresses me. There was a moment in last nights game where he received a bouncing ball in a tight area and had 2 or 3 players closing him down. Most professionals would just put it up the park as he was in his own half but he did some kind of feint and burst of acceleration that just left everybody dead. He only then slid the ball to a team mate so it wouldnt make the highlight reel however its little moments like that you only see from the real best players.

I dont normally pay attention to paper talk but I can actually see sides like Juve and Napoli keeping an eye on him.

7 hours ago, stitch said:

Either.

I have a feeling that they'll compliment one another perfectly. Add McGinn to the mix and it'll be our best midfield since 96. 

There is the same swagger about Gilmour as there was with Collins. McGinn is as tigerish as McCall and McTominay has a touch of the McAllister's.

Plus with the formation... There are shades of 96... Plus we also have England in our group.

32 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Either.

I have a feeling that they'll compliment one another perfectly. Add McGinn to the mix and it'll be our best midfield since 96. 

There is the same swagger about Gilmour as there was with Collins. McGinn is as tigerish as McCall and McTominay has a touch of the McAllister's.

Plus with the formation... There are shades of 96... Plus we also have England in our group.

They’re not there yet but ultimately I think our current three (if we’re calling McTominay a midfielder) will surpass the 96 midfield. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They’re not there yet but ultimately I think our current three (if we’re calling McTominay a midfielder) will surpass the 96 midfield. 

Oh. Definitely not there yet, as the 96 trio were class - and complimented each other perfectly. But yeah, I have hopes that this current trio will surpass the class of 96. Hopefully Steve Clark moves McTominay into midfield.

There's actually a lot of parallels with 96.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Either.

Yip - it is a dream midfield. But you could just as easily replace McTom with Jack - who is always composed and rarely gives the ball way - and move him back to right centre back, where he and Tierney can always step forward to augment that midfield.

We then just have to worry about the 2 - or maybe 3 in front of them and consider who is to get the goals. Armstrong, McGinn, Fraser, etc. can all score but are not doing so right now. Not sure if Gilmour can become a goal-getter. I did notice that last night he played further forward than previously for Chelsea so maybe that will come.  

21 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Scottish Iniesta? I like the sound of that!

At Euro 2020 I want to see a midfield pairing of McTominay and Gilmour in front of the back three.

Unless a ridiculously good cb appears there is no chance of Mctominey in midfield.

13 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Rangers looking to get Gilmour on loan to give him more game time.  Makes sense.

Heard that today but as others have said would seem daft when he has came straight back from injury and started a champions league game. lampard clearly rates him and I think he will get good playing time this season.

Interest from a few italian clubs too.

Looks a cracking player, hopefully he keeps developing well and doesn't pick up any more injuries

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yip - it is a dream midfield. But you could just as easily replace McTom with Jack - who is always composed and rarely gives the ball way - and move him back to right centre back, where he and Tierney can always step forward to augment that midfield.

We then just have to worry about the 2 - or maybe 3 in front of them and consider who is to get the goals. Armstrong, McGinn, Fraser, etc. can all score but are not doing so right now. Not sure if Gilmour can become a goal-getter. I did notice that last night he played further forward than previously for Chelsea so maybe that will come.  

It's brilliant that we have a lot more options now that we've had in so long. But yeah, I would trust Jack in the anchorman position (he's actually the only one that we've got. I would view. McGregor and McTominay as box to box midfielders.

17 hours ago, Kirk said:

Unless a ridiculously good cb appears there is no chance of Mctominey in midfield.

Yeah. Probably.

Steve Clarke will go into Euro 2020 with what took us there... Hopefully adding Gilmour to the mix.

Edited by Taylor1996

59 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He needs to play more games before I’d want him in the team for the euros, least there’s plenty of games, club and international before then. 

He will. He’s just recovered after 6 months out and already been involved in 3 matches. Straight back in the first team squad. 

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He needs to play more games before I’d want him in the team for the euros, least there’s plenty of games, club and international before then. 

Really?

Ok. That's fair enough.

It's relative, though, isn't it? I mean, what's a bigger achievement, playing each week in the SPL/English Championship or being on the bench of a club as big as Chelsea?

Gilmour should be one of the first names in the 23 man squad.

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gilmour’s wasting his career. File under Nathan Patterson. 

I would be surprised if Gilmour wasn't a first team player for Chelsea in a year or two. Bear in mind, he'll still be only 21 in two years time.

By that time I think Kante's legs will have gone, leaving a spot open.

Edited by Taylor1996

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I would be surprised if Gilmour wasn't a first team player for Chelsea in a year or two. Bear in mind, he'll still be only 21 in two years time.

By that time I think Kante's legs will have gone, leaving a spot open.

I was being ironic for the benefit of Caledonian Craig. Both are already first team players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gilmour starts the next game after Chelsea’s defeat.