Preliminary Euro 2020 chat: - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Preliminary Euro 2020 chat:

Taylor1996

48 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

My point was the government need the money the Euros will generate

There's too many variables to really give an accurate guess.

One of the variables is that teams won't want to put their players at risk, both long term and short term.

The list posted above said that we'll find out by mid-March. It'll be interesting to see what the final decision is.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty sure it will go ahead, also pretty sure there will be no travelling support allowed. Interesting to see what happens nearer the time.

Yeah probably, I’m in Australia still and planned on coming back for it, even just to be in the cities the games are on but even that seems unlikely unfortunately.

New terms and conditions released by UEFA today regarding tickets for the tournament. Can now return any tickets or transfer to friends/family. 
Sanitary measures, reduced capacity and closed doors matches is all mentioned in the update. Looks like they’re updating to cover all aspects with regards to Covid. 

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It'll be mid-March before we get a decision.

Either it'll be like the end of last season's European cup, (where it's stages in one nation, and all the players in a bubble, with zero fans) or it'll be called off.

Too early to tell, really.

Yup, I can see them going down that route too.
I requested my refund for the Croatia v Czech game as we’re now at Wembley that day. 

Kept my Poland v Sweden (Dublin) tickets too in hope rather than expectation. 
Part of me just wants them to announce it’ll all be behind closed doors. After waiting 22 years to get back to tournament football it’ll be utter shite if the best we can hope for is 50% attendance, no Fan Zones etc. I’d rather have the full tournament atmosphere rather than a watered down version. Even now, where we should be counting down the days and excitement building, well, it’s just not there. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Yup, I can see them going down that route too.
I requested my refund for the Croatia v Czech game as we’re now at Wembley that day. 

Kept my Poland v Sweden (Dublin) tickets too in hope rather than expectation. 
Part of me just wants them to announce it’ll all be behind closed doors. After waiting 22 years to get back to tournament football it’ll be utter shite if the best we can hope for is 50% attendance, no Fan Zones etc. I’d rather have the full tournament atmosphere rather than a watered down version. Even now, where we should be counting down the days and excitement building, well, it’s just not there. 

Come-what-May, I just hope no fans lose money on this. 

I agree. It's like Fifa are sitting there, hoping (with their fingers and toes crossed) that covid will vanish and we'll return to normality and the world will reset. The sooner they make a decision and put the fans out of their misery, the better.

If this wasn't happening it would be comical. For 22 years we've went through failure and pain... When we eventually do qualify, the tournament has a reasonable chance of being cancelled because of a global catastrophe.

You couldn't make it up.

Unlikely to be cancelled as UEFA have too much exposure in terms of TV contracts and sponsorships.  They made sure the Champions League and Europa League were completed last season for those reasons.

They may well move it all to one country , Russia has been mooted, rather than the pan European hosting.  Hopefully the vaccination picking up pace will help matters.

It’ll definitely go ahead whether it’ll be closed doors in a single country or as per the current format. 

Football is still going on at the moment. It would be odd not to play a tournament after 6 months of vaccines and a likely low infection rate. 

In September the Super Cup was attended by 15 000 and there were Champions League games in November with 17 000 fans. These were capped at 30%. The infection rate should be lower in June, plus the benefit of vaccinations. 

I think UEFA will still expect to allow a maximum of 70% fans in their discussions in March. But probably more likely 30%. There will still be social distancing in the summer, not sure how you can do that with 70% full stadiums. 

Allowing away fans seems a bit mental though. I think they’ll look to refund the tickets people have bought for outside their home country. 

There’s also the possibility of vaccinating players and coaching staff to ensure games go ahead. Whether that’s ethical or not (depending on where the world is with vaccination programmes) is a different question. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

On 1/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah probably, I’m in Australia still and planned on coming back for it, even just to be in the cities the games are on but even that seems unlikely unfortunately.

I am in the US and have had similar thoughts, but the factors surrounding Covid make it extremely unlikely. 

They should really call all the league's the now and shut everything down properly until end of March then see how the land lies with vaccinations and infection rates etc and make a decision then. Getting the euros on is far more important to everyone in this country rather than some pathetic Scottish football season

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

They should really call all the league's the now and shut everything down properly until end of March then see how the land lies with vaccinations and infection rates etc and make a decision then. Getting the euros on is far more important to everyone in this country rather than some pathetic Scottish football season

Doesn’t matter what’s important to the people of Scotland, it’s all about the money.  That’s what will drive decision making. The spfl are walking a tightrope with government and have thrown the lower leagues under a bus to try and protect the spl.  If things get worse it will be shut down and doubt it will start again and the season will end with current standings.  I think  they might try and run the euros in one country but will depend on the scale of pandemic then - no crowds.

On 1/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, bazmidd said:

My point was the government need the money the Euros will generate

Not sure what you mean there, if it goes ahead in the way professional football currently is the economic benefits will be negligible.

Have to say though waiting for Cheltenham festival to finish was a very odd decision and that could only be put down to the economic benefits so who's to say they won't gamble and have major restrictions removed just in time for the Euros 

With the vacinations we will be in a better position in May than we were last year when the football started back up. I dont think there is any chance that the euros dont go ahead. They may be all played in 1 country with no fans though.

According to a guy I know who deals with UEFA, it definitely won't be Russia. Their WC deal was with FIFA and UEFA don't have strong links with Russia. 

If it has to be one country, Germany would be favourite. England would not host it all without fans, as would be too expensive. 

16 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Just heard Jayson Leitch on the radio.Seems pretty confident the games at Hampden will go ahead with some sort of crowds.What would be the point of six months of vaccines,if there is no improvement in the situation.Let's look on the brightside.

Should make it over 50s only and I'd must be provided, market for forged bus passes. 

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Doesn’t matter what’s important to the people of Scotland, it’s all about the money.  That’s what will drive decision making. The spfl are walking a tightrope with government and have thrown the lower leagues under a bus to try and protect the spl.  If things get worse it will be shut down and doubt it will start again and the season will end with current standings.  I think  they might try and run the euros in one country but will depend on the scale of pandemic then - no crowds.

I hope it does get shut down, it's a disgrace the lower leagues have been shut down but yet the spl continues. It's far more important to the country on a sporting level and a financial level to have the euros in this country that continue running some two bob league

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for the submission of plans to accommodate fans inside the stadiums has been moved to early April.

From the UEFA meeting today. They are still committed to holding it as scheduled in the twelve cities. 

Edited by McTeeko

A tournament with empty or reduced capacities stadiums just won't be the same.

I'd like them to scrap it - and send the qualified teams to Euro 2024 instead.

Germany are hosts.

Keep the same fixtures and dates.

England v Scotland in Berlin? Dortmund? Dusseldorf? Hamburg? Munich?

I know. It won't happen. They'd rather have the TV deal this year.