Preliminary Euro 2020 chat: - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Preliminary Euro 2020 chat:

Taylor1996

This is my 23 player squad.

I assume that we'll stick with 3-4-1-2.

Keepers:

McRorie, Marshall, Gordon

Defenders:

McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Gallagher, Porteous, O'Donnell, Robertson, Hickey

Midfielders:

McTominay, Jack, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean

Strikers/Second strikers:

Dykes, Fraser, Forrest, McBurnie, Christie, Gauld, McGinn,

The squad pretty much picks itself.

I would include Ryan Gauld as he's had a superb start to the season. He's contributed seven goals in nine matches (3 goals, 4 assists) for a newly promoted team in the top league in the Premiera Liga in Portugal. He's also occasionally the captain.

If he keeps up this form, a bigger team will buy him. No doubt.

The only "big" player I'd leave out is Stuart Armstrong. He'd be first reserve. Same with Burke.

McTominay has been superb in defence, but we need his physicality and presence in midfield.

Edited by Taylor1996

A lot can happen between now and the day Clarke names his squad.

I agree about Hickey, GIlmour and Gauld having a great chance of breaking into the squad.  I'd also be keeping a close eye on Jack Hendry who is having a really good season in Belgium.  Before anyone jumps in with two feet, it is a weak position and he has a chance if he keeps playing well.

I wouldn't leave out Armstrong.  I doubt Clarke will either.  Some of the others you've left out that have been involved recently are McLaughlin, Palmer, Taylor, Considine, Burke, Griffiths, Paterson and Shankland.  I'm not saying I disagree.  LG has a big 6 months ahead of him if he wants to be included.  If's he's playing and scoring, he's in the squad.  

Gauld seems to be doing well at the moment and Gilmour is a tremendous prospect, but there is a bit of a problem that the next fixtures will be a World Cup triple header. Not ideal for testing out new players.

At least we can have a bigger squad for qualifying matches to take a few risks with.

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Gauld seems to be doing well at the moment and Gilmour is a tremendous prospect, but there is a bit of a problem that the next fixtures will be a World Cup triple header. Not ideal for testing out new players.

At least we can have a bigger squad for qualifying matches to take a few risks with.

Gauld is currently the 5th best player in Portugal according to my beloved whoscored.com and a bit like the SPL all the other top players play for the top two teams. Hopefully he will get a move soon to see just how good he is.

49 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

At least a triple header gives 3 matches and the chance to rotate players as it is unlikely we will play the same XI for 3 games in a row.  A home match at the end of the 3 against Faroe Islands could give an opportunity for us to experiment a little.  Putting Gilmour in from the start in that match wouldn't be a big gamble at all - he's already proven against much better teams, albeit whilst playing for a stronger team at Chelsea.  Gauld could be useful for us in trying to break down a team like the Faroes which we all know we have struggled to do far too often.  

There will also be friendlies ahead of Euro 2020.  It's been a while but I'm sure Clarke will name a big squad ahead of the friendlies and then cut it ahead of the finals.  Just looking at England in 2016, it looks like they played 3 friendlies ahead of Euro 2016 - I expect we will do the same.  I expect they will all be at home too given our matches are at Hampden and Wembley.  I wouldn't be surprised if we played Poland as they have matches in Ireland, and England in WC qualifying.  Sweden might be another that want to play us before going to Ireland.  

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

At least a triple header gives 3 matches and the chance to rotate players as it is unlikely we will play the same XI for 3 games in a row.  A home match at the end of the 3 against Faroe Islands could give an opportunity for us to experiment a little.  Putting Gilmour in from the start in that match wouldn't be a big gamble at all - he's already proven against much better teams, albeit whilst playing for a stronger team at Chelsea.  Gauld could be useful for us in trying to break down a team like the Faroes which we all know we have struggled to do far too often.  

There will also be friendlies ahead of Euro 2020.  It's been a while but I'm sure Clarke will name a big squad ahead of the friendlies and then cut it ahead of the finals.  Just looking at England in 2016, it looks like they played 3 friendlies ahead of Euro 2016 - I expect we will do the same.  I expect they will all be at home too given our matches are at Hampden and Wembley.  I wouldn't be surprised if we played Poland as they have matches in Ireland, and England in WC qualifying.  Sweden might be another that want to play us before going to Ireland.  

Doubt if there will be many if any friendlies with the world cup qualifiers when they are.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Doubt if there will be many if any friendlies with the world cup qualifiers when they are.

Of course there will be.  The WC qualifiers are in March and September.  There will be 2 or 3 friendlies in month before the finals. 

19 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

This is my 23 player squad.

I assume that we'll stick with 3-4-1-2.

Keepers:

McRorie, Marshall, Gordon

Defenders:

McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Gallagher, Porteous, O'Donnell, Robertson, Hickey

Midfielders:

McTominay, Jack, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean

Strikers/Second strikers:

Dykes, Fraser, Forrest, McBurnie, Christie, Gauld, McGinn,

The squad pretty much picks itself.

I would include Ryan Gauld as he's had a superb start to the season. He's contributed seven goals in nine matches (3 goals, 4 assists) for a newly promoted team in the top league in the Premiera Liga in Portugal. He's also occasionally the captain.

If he keeps up this form, a bigger team will buy him. No doubt.

The only "big" player I'd leave out is Stuart Armstrong. He'd be first reserve. Same with Burke.

McTominay has been superb in defence, but we need his physicality and presence in midfield.

I'd go for Hanley instead of Porteous who's still prone to rashness and has not played outwith the SPL. Rather have Armstrong instead of McLean but understand the reasoning. I'm coming round now to Gauld - certainly a brainier option than Burke. McGinn plays deeper for Villa. Forrest had better get back and go on a scoring run; otherwise we might take a chance on Nisbet though he still has a bit of proving to do IMO. 

My 23 man squad would be:

Goalkeepers- Marshall Gordon McRorie

Defenders - Tierney Robertson O'Donnell Palmer Gallagher McKenna Hanley Cooper

Midfielders - McTominay McGregor Jack Armstrong Christie McLean McGinn 

Forwards/Strikers - Fraser Forrest Dykes McBurnie Griffiths 

I think players such as Hickey, Gilmour and Nisbet could make the squad ahead of some I named.  That will depend if they are playing regularly and well before March qualifiers. I would be surprised if more than 2 or 3 uncapped players make Euro squad. 

Players like Paterson, Fleck, Burke would be back up in case of injury.

There is probably someone obvious that I have forgotten too.

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I agree about Hickey, GIlmour and Gauld having a great chance of breaking into the squad.  I'd also be keeping a close eye on Jack Hendry who is having a really good season in Belgium.  Before anyone jumps in with two feet, it is a weak position and he has a chance if he keeps playing well.

I wouldn't leave out Armstrong.  I doubt Clarke will either.  Some of the others you've left out that have been involved recently are McLaughlin, Palmer, Taylor, Considine, Burke, Griffiths, Paterson and Shankland.  I'm not saying I disagree.  LG has a big 6 months ahead of him if he wants to be included.  If's he's playing and scoring, he's in the squad.  

Agree with Armstrong, has to be in there, great player with a lot of skill and energy (will just forget about the england game)
Hopefully Griff gets hiself fit and scoreing as we could really do with him too.

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Games like the Faroes and Moldova away give me the Georgia fear again 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

My 23 man squad would be:

Goalkeepers- Marshall Gordon McRorie

Defenders - Tierney Robertson O'Donnell Palmer Gallagher McKenna Hanley Cooper

Midfielders - McTominay McGregor Jack Armstrong Christie McLean McGinn 

Forwards/Strikers - Fraser Forrest Dykes McBurnie Griffiths 

I think players such as Hickey, Gilmour and Nisbet could make the squad ahead of some I named.  That will depend if they are playing regularly and well before March qualifiers. I would be surprised if more than 2 or 3 uncapped players make Euro squad. 

Players like Paterson, Fleck, Burke would be back up in case of injury.

There is probably someone obvious that I have forgotten too.

With you but for two exceptions .

Mc Crorie ( GK). He has already been demoted at Livi after failing to impress. Mc Laughlin is a deserved shoe in as the 3 rd goalie.

Also think Considine will get the nod over Hanley.

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I'd go for Hanley instead of Porteous who's still prone to rashness and has not played outwith the SPL. Rather have Armstrong instead of McLean but understand the reasoning. I'm coming round now to Gauld - certainly a brainier option than Burke. McGinn plays deeper for Villa. Forrest had better get back and go on a scoring run; otherwise we might take a chance on Nisbet though he still has a bit of proving to do IMO. 

I'd like Porteous to be in the squad, if only for experience. We don't have many good center backs coming through, and he's the best one, and he's playing every week.

I know that a lot of people judge Gauld in what he did on loan at Hibs. But during that time he was nodded with injury, etc. 

Last season he was won the player of the season in the Portuguese 2nd division, and this season his numbers have been incredible, for playing for a relegation favourite.

I haven't seen Nisbit, but if he scores 20+ this season, then i'd be cool with him being in the squad.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Good shout about Jack Hendry. (I don't think anyone should jump in over that one. If he improves his raw defending, he can be an asset) Hanley should also be in the mix (captaining the team top of the Championship)

Personally, I don't trust Armstrong. His lack of game management against England still rankles with me.

One thing, I just hope everyone is fit and able for Euro 202 *knock in wood* so Steve Clarke can select his strongest squad.

• 5 weeks later...

With the way that things are going, with Covid-19, I can either see Euro 2020 being played behind closed doors or being scrapped, altogether.

The EPL will probably take a couple of weeks off, along with all major leagues, which will put the World Cup qualifiers in jeopardy, and then snowballing into Euro 2020.

Whatever happens, it will be a logistical nightmare for everyone in charge.

21 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

With the way that things are going, with Covid-19, I can either see Euro 2020 being played behind closed doors or being scrapped, altogether.

The EPL will probably take a couple of weeks off, along with all major leagues, which will put the World Cup qualifiers in jeopardy, and then snowballing into Euro 2020.

Whatever happens, it will be a logistical nightmare for everyone in charge.

yeah, it’s starting to look like it won’t happen at all.  A shame but small beer in the overall scheme of things.   I think there is a decent chance our leagues will be called too.

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

yeah, it’s starting to look like it won’t happen at all.  A shame but small beer in the overall scheme of things.   I think there is a decent chance our leagues will be called too.

Yeah. I think so.

Dubai 2022 will be in jeopardy, too, which I'm not fussed about, as we all know how they won the World Cup vote.

I don't envy the decision-makers in football. Doesn't help that players and a certain team are acting like they're above the law.

Huh.. Dan Ogden is still employed by ESPN? I'm surprised by that. A month or so ago he was caught on air mocking Harry Kane's speech.

Thought he would've been fired. Apparently not.

There's a reason why SAF gave him a lifetime ban from Manchester United press conferences.

Anyway.

I have a feeling that Euro 2020 will be cancelled. If you add in domestic leagues and cups as well as the World Cup qualifiers, the wiggle room is shrinking by the day.

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Huh.. Dan Ogden is still employed by ESPN? I'm surprised by that. A month or so ago he was caught on air mocking Harry Kane's speech.

Thought he would've been fired. Apparently not.

There's a reason why SAF gave him a lifetime ban from Manchester United press conferences.

Anyway.

I have a feeling that Euro 2020 will be cancelled. If you add in domestic leagues and cups as well as the World Cup qualifiers, the wiggle room is shrinking by the day.

Money talks though