What Position did you play and what leagues. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What Position did you play and what leagues.

Played right wing for primary school, loved to take on players and my father made me kick the ball with both feet from early age. Played under 14 league, then played mostly in boys brigade league for a couple of years ( mostly centre forward) before playing under 18 league. Played amateur football for a number of years (right wing)before Sunday league in my later 20s, played mostly midfield then.

Best team was under 18s as we won league and got to final of Scottish under 18 cup. Most of this was in 1980s when Aberdeen were doing very well so was at Pittodrie when not playing.

Played inside left number 10  for boys brigade from age 8 till 12 in Kirkintilloch .played left half for primary school .then played rugby after that. Big highlight was playimg for Butlins Filey at right back against Butlins Skegness in 1979 .fantastic 5 2 away victory and free beer in their bar afterwards.

I played right back at Primary school, reached 4 finals in 2 years and lost the lot, 54 years old and still gutted. Played first 2 years at secondary then discovered girls, booze, didn't play for years. Started playing again (Sunday League) with some really decent players (Junior/amateur level) in to my 30's. Really miss it.

2nd Larkhall BBs winger 1984-87

Machanhill Primary striker 1986-87

Larkhall Boys Club striker 1986-1990

Meadowhill BC striker 1986-87, Centre Midfield 1988-90

Law Hearts striker 1988-91

Ah the days of summer league and winter leagues.

Got to the quarter finals of the Scottish U14s with Law after beating Upper Clyde, Foxbar and some team from Airdrie way. Mill United pumped us 3-0 at home.

It was only 5s and 7s from age 16 onwards. Could probably have made Junior level but couldn't be arsed. A few guys I played against in Juveniles made it to decent level in Seniors.

I played all the way through from school to juvenile to amatuer and junior but my story was when I played under 18's late 70's 79/80 I think.

I was a right winger when that was still a position, we also had a left winger but the manager wouldnt/couldnt play us both at the same time.

The left winger was Wilson Robertson.....its fair to say that a starting position for me was a rare achievement

RB or CB, positions my boy now plays.

Played at school, lost interest in playing when I was growing up (chasing lassies & alcohol to blame)

Started again about 20 and had 4-5 years in the Sunday leagues (fitted in well with the lassies & alcohol) then packed in when my knees were left aching and I was taking Mondays off of work. 

Well.... Started playing competitive when I moved to Canada. Played for the Manitoba provincial squad when I was 16. Signed with the Ottawa Pioneers Football Club on a pre-trial when I was 17.. They were the first Ottawa side in the Canadian Proffesional soccer league. I was brilliant. .. Ma Dad sadly passed away during my trial with the club, and I gave up after that. Ended up playing with the Ottawa Royals, a club founded by Scots. Played in the Ottawa Premier League for years. That's were I got the nickname, "The Scotsman".... Fuckin lethal by the way... Brilliant I was.. 3 assault charges from free kicks.. Hit the baw to hard, broke 2 lads ribs, and still scored. Think if I had a stayed in Scotland, you would be writing about me......  True story.... BR 1314🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Well.... Started playing competitive when I moved to Canada. Played for the Manitoba provincial squad when I was 16. Signed with the Ottawa Pioneers Football Club on a pre-trial when I was 17.. They were the first Ottawa side in the Canadian Proffesional soccer league. I was brilliant. .. Ma Dad sadly passed away during my trial with the club, and I gave up after that. Ended up playing with the Ottawa Royals, a club founded by Scots. Played in the Ottawa Premier League for years. That's were I got the nickname, "The Scotsman".... Fuckin lethal by the way... Brilliant I was.. 3 assault charges from free kicks.. Hit the baw to hard, broke 2 lads ribs, and still scored. Think if I had a stayed in Scotland, you would be writing about me......  True story.... BR 1314🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Playing competitive for pishy wee Canada Sunday League teams is the equivalent of dossing aboot in the primary playgroond in Scotland ya Walter Mitty. 😄