TAMB - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Must admit it was a bit disappinting that more of the old posters didn't appear during the Euros. Some did though and made a decent fist of it  - unlike the team. WHy didn't you post more during the Euros? There ware some decent topics and discussions.

Probably a combination of a few things, back in the day when you put the computer on the TAMB was one of the first websites you'd go to it was habitual, you could leave it running in the background and dip in every few minutes to read new posts, there seems to be ages between posts now even during the euros so i wouldn't visit the site as often as i did.

I stopped going to away games 12 years ago, Macedonia and Iceland double header being my last hurrah.

I rarely even go to home games now, 2-2 with England was my last and only because a mate had a spare

Also I don't really know a lot of the people posting now, i'm too old to be getting into arguments on the internet, I don't even have facebook or twitter anymore, there was a sense of community back in the day, people knew each other outside of the place.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:36 PM, thplinth said:

You posted something during it all along the lines of 'it is so quiet'. That was also the post that made me realize just how far it was gone. That is also the difference between seeing it gradually versus suddenly.

You and Kernie would fill out two of my top three favourite posters on here. No matter how far this place sinks it was worth it infinitely over to have 'met' all you folks.

Kind of you to say so mate, the feelings are reciprocated.

It's funny how we bitched and moaned about the place back then, yet it was a million times better than the state it is in now

thinking  back on some of the shenanigans that went on, some people took themselves and the TAMB too seriously at times.

I still believe you seen an eagle btw ;)

On 8/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, chaff said:

It's a real shame that the place is the way it is, it's not really user friendly either with adverts appearing every time you open a page.

Ive found Pharts posts on the coronavirus thread to be good.

I use this free adblock, just make sure you choose the minimum requirements that are free. You may then need to close down your phone/tablet/pc then reopen, I can’t remember it was so long ago I got it. 

I honestly dont know how anyone could last for more than 10mins on here without an adblock. I got an ipad for xmas and opened the TAMB on it one day. I thought I was having an epileptic fit, there was no adblock on my ipad as it was new.  

https://iphone.apkpure.com/ad-blocker-adblock-block-ads/com.iosdevhk.adblockus

22 hours ago, exile said:

I wonder if the TAMB owners wish it to grow or not. If so, there must be plenty things that could be done to promote it more actively.  Do they ever reach out to women football players and supporters for example, who may be involved in the grassroots game, but people who wouldn't necessarily think of themselves as "members of the Tartan Army"? (Is the TAMB as diverse as the TA? Is the TA as diverse as the Scottish population?) What about younger supporters? Etc.

If the problem is anything to do with other social media, why not combine forces? It wouldn't take much effort to have a TAMB Twitter account. Even a few posts a day - a few minutes a day from someone(s) - could generate some interest, especially around matchday.  A TAMB Twitter account could draw attention to debates of the day (just like newspapers do), driving traffic to the site. Obviously this could be selective, most likely just TA specific, like things to do with players, formations, matches, managers, also some of the 'controversial' issue of the day, but avoiding club football and 'any other business'.

I don't see individual posters as a problem. As I see it, the more voices, and the more representative of football supporters in general, the better, and that reduces the relative impact of those considered annoying. (The 'good old days' wasn't necessarily reflective of Scottish supporters in general, either). In fact, if part of the aim of the TAMB is to help generate not just activity on TAMB, but stimulate supporting Scotland in general (and why shouldn't it?) then we could do with a more positive, actively engaging, inclusive, outward looking stance.

If I recall, the owners did seem to show some interest in developing the board when they took it over. Whether that was all talk , or it has proven more difficult than expected,  I dont know, but there doesn’t seem to be any progress. Since I dont use other social media i cant compare it .

Once you nullify the ads its a pretty simple,  easy board to use. Perhaps its too basic for some people. Everything seems to need bells and whistles on it these days to grab people’s attention. 

It would be good to know what, if anything, has been done to promote it. If they want to make this work, at the very least they really should be liaising more with the users to try and improve things. 

10 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Obviously an exagerration. THere were about 300 topics during the Euros in the TA Specific/Euro 2020 threads so not quite right. The nuts are predodminantly posting on Football Related so easily avoided.

I wrote to the Mods about one of said 'nutters' during the Euros and they were removed so Mods can be active if contacted direct. They don't read very post.

The Salmond affair is not really a fault of this board is it? A lot of posters were well-read on the subject with some varying opinions which is what this board is all about isn't it? 

Would that really change things though?

Must admit it was a bit disapppinting that more of the old posters didn't appear during the Euros. Some did though and made a decent fist of it  - unlike the team. WHy didn't you post more during the Euros? There ware some decent topics and discussions.

Understand some of the sentiments but to me the best thing to do is keep posting (with decent topics) and just ignore the crap - usually in Football Related. It did get busier at the Euros though I thought more would come back and post. The board has attracted it's fair share of bampots over the years but for the most part, it didn't spoil the Euros for me - certainly not as much as the performances🥴. But agree they were a pain at times and have undoubtedly dragged the quality of the board down considerably. I sent a message to the Mods about one of them and they were removed so a minor respite. I'm pretty sure the lack of success over the years has also driven others away - I mean 80,000 members and 1,743 online in Jan 2020 but don;t think it got over 1000 during the Euros? There can also be a bit of a mob mentality by some particulalry about club allegiances but think that FB is worse and the Board Needs Tunes thread keeps me fairly well occupied between games. Hopefully we can make another tourney soon otherwise I suspect things are likely to diminish further.

All good points.

I dont think individual posters really are spoiling things. There are a lot of good posters on here,  its pretty easy to ignore those who irritate you. Ffs , there is an actual ‘ignore’ button . I have only ever had one person on ignore and I think they are well gone.

I just skim over the barneys, sometimes they are funny sometimes tedious. I am pretty certain people skim over my posts as I post a load of shit but I would hope I wasnt banned for it. I also skim over things that are too long , perhaps because i dont have enough of an interest in the subject , or more likely, my brain does not have the technical capability to understand them. But these posts / threads interest a lot of people.

Its good to have a variety, I just think the board needs a bigger user base and that really is the owners job. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

All good points.

I dont think individual posters really are spoiling things. There are a lot of good posters on here,  its pretty easy to ignore those who irritate you. Ffs , there is an actual ‘ignore’ button . I have only ever had one person on ignore and I think they are well gone.

I just skim over the barneys, sometimes they are funny sometimes tedious. I am pretty certain people skim over my posts as I post a load of shit but I would hope I wasnt banned for it. I also skim over things that are too long , perhaps because i dont have enough of an interest in the subject , or more likely, my brain does not have the technical capability to understand them. But these posts / threads interest a lot of people.

Its good to have a variety, I just think the board needs a bigger user base and that really is the owners job. 

I post on another football board and I rear a 3rd one. The 3rd board is a club board, very very busy too. You know who the mods are and they are lenient but they'll ban anyone who goes to far. 

The other board I post on is dedicated to the Highland League, its busier and its a much better place to post. The mods don't take much shit,the trolls on here would've been gone long ago because the owner and mods can see the bigger picture.

I don't think Facebook or twitter screwed the TAMB because other boards are very busy. The non TA section used to be OK, it got heated sometimes due to club allegiances, especially when rangers died But it was at least readable and you could join in with discussion. 

50 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I post on another football board and I rear a 3rd one. The 3rd board is a club board, very very busy too. You know who the mods are and they are lenient but they'll ban anyone who goes to far. 

The other board I post on is dedicated to the Highland League, its busier and its a much better place to post. The mods don't take much shit,the trolls on here would've been gone long ago because the owner and mods can see the bigger picture.

I don't think Facebook or twitter screwed the TAMB because other boards are very busy. The non TA section used to be OK, it got heated sometimes due to club allegiances, especially when rangers died But it was at least readable and you could join in with discussion. 

It could be that people simply have more interest in their club team than the national team and if they only have the time to post on one place they choose the platform which more represents their interest. 
Although I rarely post on the non TA section  I have an occasional look. It wont be a surprise to learn I am not a fan of Rangers, the polar opposite tbh, but I do wonder why, any new to the board Rangers fan , would  post on there . It is pretty hostile. Even when RH isnt on the wind up it is not exactly a welcoming site. 

I noticed a few new posters on the TA section  during the Euros. I know I keep going on about these bloody emoticons but I think they would have helped encourage new people to post. The odd ‘upvote’ on their post , or even quoting new posters  , would help them feel welcome,  and build confidence .
Or maybe I m being a bit too ‘touchy feely wumminy’  and guys dont care about that kind of thing 🙄

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Mistaken identity, I think? ;)

Is it? Who was it calmac man accused of lying? Mind he was adamant that it would just have been a buzzard or something.

He took himself way too seriously for being on a fitba message board

44 minutes ago, chaff said:

Is it? Who was it calmac man accused of lying? Mind he was adamant that it would just have been a buzzard or something.

He took himself way too seriously for being on a fitba message board

I think Orra is saying the eagle was a mistaken identity.

23 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I use this free adblock, just make sure you choose the minimum requirements that are free. You may then need to close down your phone/tablet/pc then reopen, I can’t remember it was so long ago I got it. 

I honestly dont know how anyone could last for more than 10mins on here without an adblock. I got an ipad for xmas and opened the TAMB on it one day. I thought I was having an epileptic fit, there was no adblock on my ipad as it was new.  

https://iphone.apkpure.com/ad-blocker-adblock-block-ads/com.iosdevhk.adblockus

Thanks 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, chaff said:

I still believe you seen an eagle btw ;)

Oh it was an eagle. 

Much overlooked in that post was the incident before I got to the ferry to Mull involving the giant majestic stag. I'd left Glasgow in the middle of the night to get the early ferry for some daft reason and was navigating using a real map, pre-smartphone, google maps pishola.

Ended up on some quiet road through some really old looking woodland, rounded a bend and standing side on in the middle of the road was this huge stag with this enormous set of antlers, he was absolutely picture perfect, I stopped, put the main lights down to just the side lights and turned the engine off and we just sat there for a bit looking at each other, he was so relaxed even with the car lights (on as it was still dark)) and he just ambled off back into the forest.

The eagle was sitting in a tree as rounded another bend not long after getting off the ferry. It was so big sitting in the tree it brought me to a complete standstill. It was breathtaking the size of it. Flew off after a minute or so. Absolutely unmistakable. Yeah, that's right, unmistakable. 

As I said to Flat Earth at the time I posted Chaff it was a magical journey! :lol: (I suppose this is what happens when you get up early.)

18 hours ago, thplinth said:

Oh it was an eagle. 

Much overlooked in that post was the incident before I got to the ferry to Mull involving the giant majestic stag. I'd left Glasgow in the middle of the night to get the early ferry for some daft reason and was navigating using a real map, pre-smartphone, google maps pishola.

Ended up on some quiet road through some really old looking woodland, rounded a bend and standing side on in the middle of the road was this huge stag with this enormous set of antlers, he was absolutely picture perfect, I stopped, put the main lights down to just the side lights and turned the engine off and we just sat there for a bit looking at each other, he was so relaxed even with the car lights (on as it was still dark)) and he just ambled off back into the forest.

The eagle was sitting in a tree as rounded another bend not long after getting off the ferry. It was so big sitting in the tree it brought me to a complete standstill. It was breathtaking the size of it. Flew off after a minute or so. Absolutely unmistakable. Yeah, that's right, unmistakable. 

As I said to Flat Earth at the time I posted Chaff it was a magical journey! :lol: (I suppose this is what happens when you get up early.)

Ye sure it wasn't just a big horse and a crow ?

Maybe the fact that most folk are online with their phones has something to do with the decrease in popularity? I only ever browse the web from a PC so I've no idea what it's like, but it must be hellish to have to try and type up a reply from a tiny keypad.  Would be for me anyway with my clumsy fingers.

There's been a couple of times I've thought about starting a thread only to realise there'd be screeds of typing which would be hellish for a mobile user to look at.  I can only imagine what Chripper's essays must've looked like on a phone.  You'd get an RSI scrolling past them.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Maybe the fact that most folk are online with their phones has something to do with the decrease in popularity? I only ever browse the web from a PC so I've no idea what it's like, but it must be hellish to have to try and type up a reply from a tiny keypad.  Would be for me anyway with my clumsy fingers.

There's been a couple of times I've thought about starting a thread only to realise there'd be screeds of typing which would be hellish for a mobile user to look at.  I can only imagine what Chripper's essays must've looked like on a phone.  You'd get an RSI scrolling past them.

I always use my phone, I prefer that to the desktop. Too many adverts on the desktop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, daviebee said:

Definitely part of it I reckon along with the trolls and of course the lack of success. I also remember the days when the travel thread was one of the most popular parts of the forum🥴

There’s a very simple and straightforward reason.  Facebook and to an exten5 Twitter and other SM platforms  

The TAMB started in the mid 90s and probably peaked in the late 2000s.  Facebook started in 2006 - public access - and by the end of the decade had taken off.

The Tartan Army is by its nature cyclical, people may have an interest fo4 life but they tend to be active for a period of years then they drift away and do something else or real life kicks in.and so people drift away from the TAMB.

the difference is though new recruits don’t come here they go elsewhere.  There’s several TA groups on FB, moderated by people who used to be regulars on here.  Thee days new folk probably don’t even go there but to TikTok or whatever.

That’s it, no big conspiracy, no-one’s fault, well maybe Mark Zuckerberg.

in the same way that message boards killed off fanzines, Facebook and the like are killing off message boards.  It’s just evolution.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

There’s a very simple and straightforward reason.  Facebook and to an exten5 Twitter and other SM platforms  

The TAMB started in the mid 90s and probably peaked in the late 2000s.  Facebook started in 2006 - public access - and by the end of the decade had taken off.

The Tartan Army is by its nature cyclical, people may have an interest fo4 life but they tend to be active for a period of years then they drift away and do something else or real life kicks in.and so people drift away from the TAMB.

the difference is though new recruits don’t come here they go elsewhere.  There’s several TA groups on FB, moderated by people who used to be regulars on here.  Thee days new folk probably don’t even go there but to TikTok or whatever.

That’s it, no big conspiracy, no-one’s fault, well maybe Mark Zuckerberg.

in the same way that message boards killed off fanzines, Facebook and the like are killing off message boards.  It’s just evolution.

There are plenty of other football forums which are just as busy or even busier than they were when they first started. 

I don't see why the TAMB is unique and the only one affected by Facebook and other social media sites.

Here are the online users right now at jamboskickback...

Largo Weebroon98 bangkokjambo11 o1djambo Dunks Craigy_Jambo4Life Killinman ADAM cowdenjambo1 grumpyespana canadiain jack D and coke John Findlay Juan Jose Carricondo Perez TheDogWithTheShiftyEyes Wee Mikey Midloth_Iain heartandsoul Drumelzier Dinger argyjambo jimlaurie46 kjc2006 The Frenchman Returns feej Jambo54 Nobreath Ted Hastings The Real Maroonblood Rudy T Bainy Auldreekie1874 Livi-Jambo Mirror Hmfc1965 jas48 tightrope luckydug Grace Jones DG_HMFC fuzzy717 Les Izemore Ray Gin jambo_74 AdamScores currie1874 jonesy Rick Sanchez romac brunoatemyhamster 80bob GavK1012 Bellion john944 jamboinglasgow TheHoneybadger mahoy shona77 I P Knightley Simpo1874 bajthejambo Seymour M Hersh The Apprentice kila Hmfcno.1 TypoonJambo Ruairidh Bob Loblaw MattyK82 jimmy the jambo michaeljambo22 Churchill Barrier chuck berrys hairline babertonjambo Fxxx the SPFL ginger jambo98 Commander lovemuscle buca junior escobri Silvery_Moon AppleTarts Rogue Daddy buzz Stendelnator welshjambo jambomjm74 Jambo_fae_the_West linda.bisset100 Drylaw Hearts thejoff David66k Romfordjt baltijambo KyleLafferty Deodato Surrey Jambo Boy Daniel Konrad von Carstein mrbean Zen Jambo plastic_bas Carl Fredrickson jimthejambo Zico Believes Bawbag MMHearts Libertarian sub sub 1902hewat Jambojock9 Stuart McNeill daveydal Aaron78 luckyBatistuta Daven mre Furious Styles Alex MacDonald SteviewJT Corstyjambo Nelly Terraces Panagiotis BMC 12 High Fives Cornish Scot noseyer tynietigers Queensland Jambo BlingCrosby Doogz1874 LL4000 ElGee1973 KathyH Maroon tinted glasses 2 Jambomb Phil D. Corners King prawn jamboveg1874 Laurie All roads lead to Gorgie Pele_Is_God upgotheheads Nookie Bear esdhearts scotteverton EIEIO AlimOzturk BarneyBattles Big thommo jibz hmfcdaz01 Bring Back Paulo Sergio Maurice Moss jam51mtf Stimpy iantjambo maggieb Jeff cooldog TheBigO frazman1874 Muir Jambo Heart of the Matter Poseidon Mr Elwood P The Maroon Pound StevenNaismith Super_Hans Lord BJ Do The Dance Raymond Reddington south morocco Janbo1874 steakpiesupper Marvin Ally Alexander Ron Burgundy robbo010 tokyowalnut fast_blood Smithee denz190512 soonbe110 smc_10 Hesh Jeffros Furios Harry Potter moz Brick Tamland Michael stewart redjambo mrcrisps i8hibsh btian fitzroy simpson keepingitdusty His name is garvster Jamstomorrow ericb downunderjambo fr4ser milky_26 Kennedy Bakircioglu stevie1874 Andyp1874 SuperAustin barney392 portobellojambo1 MusselMac pablo Seaside jambo XB52 Athletes Feet Mad Dog Logan Dia Liom shedenddrew77 dexy StAndrewsHMFC Jerah Jambo WoodenHertz Gulf Jambo davie1980 Bad Religion johnking123 chrystaf mhall37 Rods Berra than you section s heart Lemongrab Jambos1983 Martin Kyle1874 dukebox Beni euan64 Selkirk_Jambo Glasman A_A wehatethehibs Skinny Milinkovic TerribleTrio2017 savage Paninaro Hearts Globephill Simo EH11 2NL Goldstone Wonder JamboGraham Hearts of Vladland Walrus letsalllaughathobos Scott's Crabs Sergemcmurto Flimsy andrew Ronald Villiers jambopilms David McCaig husref musemic livi franko1874 sakurai Heartsfth Cut The Crap Rudolf GinRummy Strawberry Jam yiggy gorgie rd eh11 baddab Doubledown leith_dude Under the floodlight Ccjambo1874 Maiden666 Jim Panzee jamboj Crookie smartin1987 JP Morgan stu1874

Here is the TAMB...

Stu101 ger intae them vanderark14 syecosse Tartan blood McTeeko scotlad Lion Rampant

They have been trotting this shite out about facebook killing the tamb for years... does facebook not work in Edinburgh then? :lol: 

One 'small' club message board versus the message board for national team.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

There are plenty of other football forums which are just as busy or even busier than they were when they first started. 

I don't see why the TAMB is unique and the only one affected by Facebook and other social media sites.

Indeed, the thread on Pie and Bovril about last night's Raith v Dunfermline game has extended to nearly 50 pages!