Fraser Hornby - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fraser Hornby

Diamond Scot

Is there a reason why he cant seem to get any game time at club level?

Everton was obvious however he didnt play reguarly on loan in Belgium and has pretty much been non existent since moving to France despite playing a scoring lots for Scotland U21s.

He has looked like a decent prospect for the U21s so im surprised at his lack of progress at club level.

Think we just need to be patient with this one. From what I've saw he looks to have plenty attributes, a physical presence, obviously good in the air, good attitude, links play quite well & seems technically decent. What is a worry is Everton wanted to offload him & the belgian club he was on loan at last season not wanting to take up the option to buy. 

Be shocked if he didn't make it as a decent pro at some level, only time will tell if it's a level we want him to reach. 

One things for sure, it's total madness to suggest as some have on here that he is ready to be tested at senior Scotland level on the back of a few goals at under 21's. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's over 21 now so I don't think he will ever be the player we had hoped for.

A loan move might help him find the right level to be playing at but I doubt it would help him improve to a level to get excited about.

He plays very well for the under 21s and like Dykes could be a player who does better for us than his club.

Lets not write him off too early. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He plays very well for the under 21s and like Dykes could be a player who does better for us than his club.

Lets not write him off too early. 

You are right, far too early to write him off. He's not long turned 21 and has moved to a new country. Ligue 1 is also a top 5 league and at a side who finished 6th last season. They haven't started this well this season and he's maybe come in and not done as well as they hoped. It's a struggle to get in a team if you don't start well. 

He seems to have very good control for a big man and I can see him having a decent career.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but the problem for Hornby is that he isn’t a natural striker. He is more suited to playing in midfield. Very talented, much more so than the likes of McBurnie and Burke, but not being able to work out his best position might hinder him, unfortunately. Same can be said about Dapo Mebude at Rangers.

We’ve got an abundance of technically gifted midfielders coming through, but a serious lack of natural goalscorers.

8 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but the problem for Hornby is that he isn’t a natural striker. He is more suited to playing in midfield. Very talented, much more so than the likes of McBurnie and Burke, but not being able to work out his best position might hinder him, unfortunately. Same can be said about Dapo Mebude at Rangers.

We’ve got an abundance of technically gifted midfielders coming through, but a serious lack of natural goalscorers.

I think mebude is in his correct position striker, inside forward. However he seems to have been one of the youth players, that Gerrard spoke of with attitude problems.

His contract is up at the end of the season and probably won't be given a new deal.

He was nowhere to be seen when we played Falkirk and isn't used in our European squad and training sessions. King, Middleton, Barjonas, Dickson and more are all a part of the European squad (king and Dickson regularly make the bench) and European training sessions.

It seems like he is finished at Rangers. Still has good potential, so hopefully he finds the correct club to take that next step.

On 12/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, Diamond Scot said:

Is there a reason why he cant seem to get any game time at club level?

Everton was obvious however he didnt play reguarly on loan in Belgium and has pretty much been non existent since moving to France despite playing a scoring lots for Scotland U21s.

He has looked like a decent prospect for the U21s so im surprised at his lack of progress at club level.

He's no as great as everyone is going on about. I watched him play in quite a few U-21s and I don't think he is anywhere near good enough. He gets into decent positions obviously but he's not got a good first touch, but saying that, I'm just a supporter. 

I wish the lad all the success in the world, but from the limited times I've seen him at U21 level I don't think he's anywhere near as good as some folk imagine him to be.

He's big and makes a nuisance of himself, and he does give everything ; but his first touch is quite poor, he's missed a few golden chances as well. He's maybe not a natural striker, but he does get in to good positions although doesn't always score.

21 is still young, and hopefully it works out ; but I don't think he'll be our great white hope up front for the future.

Hornby by scored 10 in 16 at u21 level.

McBurnie scored 2 in 12.

Hornby looked better in every department than McBurnie at u21 level. McBurmie looked like a fish out of water, every single time I saw him.

When Hornby returns to England, and he plays regularly, that's when we can judge how good he is. He's still only 21.

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

McBurnie scored 2 in 12.

Hornby looked better in every department than McBurnie at u21 level. McBurmie looked like a fish out of water, every single time I saw him.

When Hornby returns to England, and he plays regularly, that's when we can judge how good he is. He's still only 21.

Big problem with Forwards is thy can look very good at a certain level but not be capable of taking the next step.

It was round about this age that McBurnie went on loan to Barnsey and scored 9 goals in 16 games.He followed that up with 22 for Swansea the following season, Hornby has to start turning things around very quickly to even get to McBurnies level.

He is beginning to look like a player who had a physical advantage in his teens but has lost that at senior level.

Hopefully I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Big problem with Forwards is thy can look very good at a certain level but not be capable of taking the next step.

It was round about this age that McBurnie went on loan to Barnsey and scored 9 goals in 16 games.He followed that up with 22 for Swansea the following season, Hornby has to start turning things around very quickly to even get to McBurnies level.

He is beginning to look like a player who had a physical advantage in his teens but has lost that at senior level.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Guys like Hornby and George Johnston really need to move to clubs where they will play games even if thats at a lower level. It would be much better if Hornby was in the French second tier or English championship getting games every week and gaining experience. He's 21 now and has barely played any proffesional football. Same with George Johnston whos 22 and rarely gets a game at Feyenoord. 

Johnston is pretty much always on the bench this season which is an improvement and reguarly comes on. He has also started this season. I think its good for our young players to be at a big club and be in his situation.

Hornby is different. He was nowhere near first team at Everton (understandable), went on loan to a mid table Belgian side and wasnt a regular (although did play games) but its this season that concerns me. Moved to a new club on a perm basis but has been nowhere to be side. Rarely even makes the bench despite being fit.

21 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I wish the lad all the success in the world, but from the limited times I've seen him at U21 level I don't think he's anywhere near as good as some folk imagine him to be.

He's big and makes a nuisance of himself, and he does give everything ; but his first touch is quite poor, he's missed a few golden chances as well. He's maybe not a natural striker, but he does get in to good positions although doesn't always score.

21 is still young, and hopefully it works out ; but I don't think he'll be our great white hope up front for the future.

Absolutely, agree 100%
One thing I've noticed the most is his first touch is awful, dunno what kids are getting coached these days but surely ye cannae be a decent fitba player if ye cannae control a baw. 
Cannae mind which game I was watching, an U21s game at Tynie and he was awful but scored a hattrick... 🤣

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Johnston is pretty much always on the bench this season which is an improvement and reguarly comes on. He has also started this season. I think its good for our young players to be at a big club and be in his situation.

Hornby is different. He was nowhere near first team at Everton (understandable), went on loan to a mid table Belgian side and wasnt a regular (although did play games) but its this season that concerns me. Moved to a new club on a perm basis but has been nowhere to be side. Rarely even makes the bench despite being fit.

George Johnston has played 116mins of football this season and I am pretty sure that's the only pro football he's ever played. He's 22 and needs to playing every week. He would be better off at a lower level playing every week, maybe a loan deal. 

Same with Hornby unless he starts getting gametime this season. He's only 21 so it's not so bad but if it continues like this then he will soon be 22 with pretty much zero experience at pro level. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

George Johnston has played 116mins of football this season and I am pretty sure that's the only pro football he's ever played. He's 22 and needs to playing every week. He would be better off at a lower level playing every week, maybe a loan deal. 

Same with Hornby unless he starts getting gametime this season. He's only 21 so it's not so bad but if it continues like this then he will soon be 22 with pretty much zero experience at pro level. 

Not quite so bad for a defender to have played that few minutes but striker's with any ability would be coming on towards the end of games to replace knackered ones or to give a team a new option if chasing the game

Any way looks like George Johnston is  left back now and we have a few of those.

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

McBurnie scored 2 in 12.

Totally agree. 

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I can say with 100% certainty that Hornby would be a certain starter for every club in Scotland bar the Old Firm. He does not need first team games though. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I can say with 100% certainty that Hornby would be a certain starter for every club in Scotland bar the Old Firm. He does not need first team games though. 

What has Hornby done for you to possibly think that. He's barely played professional football. He wouldn't start for hibs or Aberdeen imo. 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If his Wikipedia is up to date, he’s only played 18 club games. He needs to find a club who will play him. 

That tells you all you need to know. Not good enough. Especially having been at Everton with Calvert-Lewin who was coached by big Dunc and look at him now. Everton could obviously see there was something missing with Hornby that wasn’t worth working on. 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

Hopefully I am wrong.

Hornby definitely has to start playing regularly, even if he drops down a league in France or he joins a team in League one in England.

Hopefully it happens soon, as I do think he has more potential than McBurnie.