Maradona - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Odd to think Maradona made his debut as both player (1979) and manager (2008) at Hampden park.

My next door neighbour was telling me about the match in 79 this afternoon.

Crowd were mesmerized by the 18 year old youngster going on "mazy" dribbles.

31 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Odd to think Maradona made his debut as both player (1979) and manager (2008) at Hampden park.

My next door neighbour was telling me about the match in 79 this afternoon.

Crowd were mesmerized by the 18 year old youngster going on "mazy" dribbles.

Don’t think the game at Hampden was his debut, that was a couple of years before, there was a big debate in Argentina at the time cos Menotti left him out of the 78 World Cup squad.

Think his first international goal was the 79 game, not his first cap.

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Don’t think the game at Hampden was his debut, that was a couple of years before, there was a big debate in Argentina at the time cos Menotti left him out of the 78 World Cup squad.

Think his first international goal was the 79 game, not his first cap.

Aye I'm sure that's right - first goal. Paul Hegarty said Maradona ran faster with the ball than without it! A truly mesmerising talent.

Maradona was the most gifted footballer I have ever seen. The 82 WC could have been his personal triumph had he not been kicked out of it. That 86 Argentina  side was one of their best ever and Maradona dragged them to win it. He was unstoppable. Off the field he appeared to be a  tormented soul. And like many great footballers from humble backgrounds he made terrible life decisions. Baxter, Best and Gascoigne can be added to that list. 

Edited by EddardStark

Probably not the right place to be too defensive of English fans, but I'm on a fair few English football forums or Facebook groups, some specific to Huddersfield Town, others more generally about English football past & present. In truth, I'd say that easily 95% of posts I've read on them, even places like 'English football in the 80s' which you'd not mark up as a bastion of modern thinking, are acknowledging he was an absolute legend of the game. I'm seeing a few 'cheating bastard' posts, but they are getting a generally negative reaction pretty quickly from others. I'm really not seeing any 'Ding Dong the cheat is dead' stuff anywhere at all.

I'm not saying you wouldn't get a reaction from wearing Maradona masks in the atmosphere of a game, but I honestly think any real undercurrent of hatred of him disappeared a long time ago.

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I don't know what you guys think but I think all this wearing masks against England and turning it in to 'Maradona Day' is childish and the English will think it pathetic.  I used to love the Maradona song but this is going over the top.  Or maybe I am just getting old and grumpy!

Agreed. Same goes with the ‘I Can Boogie’ song. For a couple of days it was great, now it’s plastered all over tshirts, hats, bottle coolers as well as loads of cover versions 😏

My first Scotland game, 10 years old, and remember everyone raving about him after the game. 

The whole stadium was chanting.. " Argentina Argentina..." only time I have heard our fans sing for the opposition. 

I still have the programme.. 

DSC_0689.JPG

Edited by saintsparky

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Probably not the right place to be too defensive of English fans, but I'm on a fair few English football forums or Facebook groups, some specific to Huddersfield Town, others more generally about English football past & present. In truth, I'd say that easily 95% of posts I've read on them, even places like 'English football in the 80s' which you'd not mark up as a bastion of modern thinking, are acknowledging he was an absolute legend of the game. I'm seeing a few 'cheating bastard' posts, but they are getting a generally negative reaction pretty quickly from others. I'm really not seeing any 'Ding Dong the cheat is dead' stuff anywhere at all.

I'm not saying you wouldn't get a reaction from wearing Maradona masks in the atmosphere of a game, but I honestly think any real undercurrent of hatred of him disappeared a long time ago.

As is the case most of the the time, the proper England fans tend to be awright. Once again it's mainly the media. One of the best ever football player has died, but just about every news report just goes on about that one game. It's as if they think Maradona never did anything else. That jug eared clown is one of the worst.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

As is the case most of the the time, the proper England fans tend to be awright. Once again it's mainly the media. One of the best ever football player has died, but just about every news report just goes on about that one game. It's as if they think Maradona never did anything else. That jug eared clown is one of the worst.

I agree the English media are lacking class in general with their continual mention of Hand of God. However, I thought Lineker’s (assuming that’s who the jug-eared clown is) was heartfelt and touching. Granted it was just a clip of it I saw on Twitter but he seemed to have genuine affection for DM. Said he wanted to applaud his other goal that day but knew if he did he’d be crucified by the fans!

9 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Agreed, that is why I think it is childish.

7 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Agreed. Same goes with the ‘I Can Boogie’ song. For a couple of days it was great, now it’s plastered all over tshirts, hats, bottle coolers as well as loads of cover versions 😏

I know.  Great to see the players enjoying themselves after the game, but my my, we can push things a bit.  Almost as bad a as do a dear.  Well mibees naw 😆

9 hours ago, McTeeko said:

One cover version in particular was tremendous though 😂😂

31 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

When you see the treatment he took from England during the 86 game you can understand why he might not feel too bad about attempting a cheeky wee handball...

Even happier now with the "Hand Of God" after seeing this wee video. They kicked him all over the park..

On 11/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, EddardStark said:

Off the field he appeared to be a  tormented soul. And like many great footballers from humble backgrounds he made terrible life decisions.

The other night, I caught the 2nd half of the recently made film about him.

His time at Napoli looked absolutely shambolic; absolute chaos; but I don't see how he could have stopped it... fanatical fans; paparazzi; hangers on; mafia befriending him.

It looked out of control.

There was a clip of him sat at the Napoli Christmas party and with noise and revelry all around, he looked liked the loneliest guy; just yearning for some peace and quiet.

Edited by Rich NATA

Have to be honest, Mrs.Ramy has been doing the Xmas thing. I really wanted to sit down and watch a few Maradona videos, so she gave me the peace and quiet. Have to say without a doubt now. He is by far, the greatest footballer I have ever seen. When you watch the videos, old videos, and you see how the ball stuck to his legs, and his mind was going elsewhere, while folk trying to kick fuck out him, it is extraordinary.. Pure brilliance.....

38 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I know most Scottish football fans have a soft spot for Diego but was a minutes silence/applause really fitting for a man who has been banned 3 times for failing drug tests?

Probably not, mainly because he’s Argentinian and didn’t play in Scotland but the minutes applause / silence is overused anyway. 

I hope Scotland fans don’t make a big deal about maradona and England next year 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Probably not, mainly because he’s Argentinian and didn’t play in Scotland but the minutes applause / silence is overused anyway. 

I hope Scotland fans don’t make a big deal about maradona and England next year 

And I hope Santa manages to find a way into my house without a chimney........

An absolute genius, football was almost a different game back then even though it wasn't that long ago. I always wonder how Ronaldo and Messi would cope playing in the 80s. Ronaldo I suspect would spend most of the game rolling about the pitch. 

Flawed character for sure but probably the greatest player of all time.