Lower Back Pain - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lower Back Pain

I like to run maybe three times a week. About 2 months ago I felt a twinge in my left leg and since then is moved to my lower back. I stopped running for a couple of weeks and it seemed to get better but now its back. I need to run for my sanity so I am running through a bit of pain. Anyone got any suggestions in terms of treatment?

Stretching and strengthening usually worked for me. Not sure what exactly you'll need to do, but search for some routines I do the IT band workout from strength running. helped ease out a lot of my problems.

Also beginner running stretching routines and warm downs after running.

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Stretching and strengthening usually worked for me. Not sure what exactly you'll need to do, but search for some routines I do the IT band workout from strength running. helped ease out a lot of my problems.

Also beginner running stretching routines and warm downs after running.

Thanks. I will search for those routines. To be honest  I don't think I did much of a warm down but that might be a good one to start with. 

For the last six months i have had issues with my lower back, i have been going to physio however this just papers over the cracks, i started doing monros lately and my IT band was killing me coming down the mountain, i then did stretches prior to my last climb and this helped with that.. would the IT band and lower back issues be connected?  

Do your running shoes have the right support and cushioning? If you have had them for a while or you didnt do enough research when buying them they may be exacerbating the pain.
My friend has started running recently and she went to Run 4  It . She got an appointment and they put you on a running machine and check your running style and make suggestions based on that. It might just be a sales pitch but she thought the guy was very good and her new shoes are far better. Maybe worth considering for Xmas. 

Hard to tell as i'm not qualified, however from what i have read the body adjusts based on problems. So if your knee is a bit iffy it then puts strain on other parts of the body as they compensate for the knee. So if your body is compensating for one part it could stress other ostensibly unconnected parts.

On the physio absolutely a good idea if after trying the strengthening and stretching you still have problems.

I started doing touching my toes stretch but with one foot crossed over the other and holding for 30 secs, then crossing other leg and doing that.

I used this as well

https://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/news/strength-training-runners

EDIT: I wrecked myself a bit at the start doing all these ones though, so depending on how capable you are might be better to do a couple less reps. I was crippled after my first session as i was so unused to it.

Edited by phart

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Do your running shoes have the right support and cushioning? If you have had them for a while or you didnt do enough research when buying them they may be exacerbating the pain.
My friend has started running recently and she went to Run 4  It . She got an appointment and they put you on a running machine and check your running style and make suggestions based on that. It might just be a sales pitch but she thought the guy was very good and her new shoes are far better. Maybe worth considering for Xmas. 

My mate swears by the gait test thing. I think i'm faily neutral that way with my stepping and gait so all shows naturally fit me, the further you deviate from the norm though the more use it is. Completely sorted his knee pain while running.

If you have disc degeneration running is the sort of high impact exercise you might have to avoid. As others have said stretching is everything. It doesn't solve everything but done regularly and properly it makes a huge difference. 👍

I have similar back issues, with lower back pain that can often manifest itself as a real tightness in my left hamstring and glutes. The best fix I have found is a slightly alternative form of massage, which is designed to "activate" the glutes and relieve the stress and tightness. Long story short, massaging the base of my skull and the corner of my jawbone for 30-60s each makes an unbelievable difference to me.

Pre-lockdown I went for monthly treatments but haven't been able to go since then, but even working on those areas myself can provide instant improvement.

Im about to start running again and hopeing i'm still young enough to just do a tiny stretch and go. Will be happy if I can run a 5k in less than 30 without doing anything for months and hopefully have it back down to the 23/24 min mark in a couple of weeks. Wish 5s was allowed and i didn't have to bother running.

Defos have a look at your footwear as this is of massive importance. I think decathlon are pretty good for running and shoe advice now too if you want to stay on the budget side. 

Good luck

I’ve started the stretching techniques and it’s making a difference. Not tried running yet though. The footwear is the next point of call. My left leg is slightly shorter and I think there may be something in that in terms of my posture. Some really good comments from the posters on here. Thanks to all. 

I've been running for about 20 years and apart from the odd aches and pain, worst I have suffered has caused me to sit out for about 2 weeks. At lockdown I went a bit crazy for a few months doing circuits at home, then got back into running over the summer. started with circuits iagain n August/September - weights, 5 mins HIIT, sit ups, press ups on fitness ball, HIIt etc and was really making gains in terms of fitness and physique. However as soon as I finished circuits I would start my work at the kitchen breakfast stool and would pretty much slouch over laptop all day. Come end of September I developed.a massive pain in shoulder and neck that extended down arm and has pretty much been there since. It has been too painful to run or pretty much do anything. the physio has put it solely down to not warming down and bad posture causing a trapped nerve that will take time to be wriggled out. it maybe be another few months before I am running.exercising as I would like - so potentially 6 months off due to not warming down and not sitting properly. Quite fucked off at myself tbh!