Other results going our way - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Other results going our way

Burj_Alba

We would have won our NL group if Slovakia got a point last night in Czech, same with under 21s the night before, same with Israel getting a point in Czech last weekend.

My point is when, if ever was the last time another result has gone our way in a last match situation?

Few examples

Czechs (it’s them again) comfortably winning in Lithuania as we beat Lichtenstein in 2012.

Norway wining when we limped to  a 0-1 defeat to Holland in 2010

Even back to Brazil beaten Zaire 3-0 in 1974 when 2-0 would have put us through.

We helped ROI through in 1988 with a win in Bulgaria but has a positive result elsewhere ever helped Scotland?

Shit just thought of one.

6 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

We would have won our NL group if Slovakia got a point last night in Czech, same with under 21s the night before, same with Israel getting a point in Czech last weekend.

My point is when, if ever was the last time another result has gone our way in a last match situation?

Few examples

Czechs (it’s them again) comfortably winning in Lithuania as we beat Lichtenstein in 2012.

Norway wining when we limped to  a 0-1 defeat to Holland in 2010

Even back to Brazil beaten Zaire 3-0 in 1974 when 2-0 would have put us through.

We helped ROI through in 1988 with a win in Bulgaria but has a positive result elsewhere ever helped Scotland?

Shit just thought of one.

Norway did us a favour last night but we were too useless to take advantage of it.

We shouldn't try to blame other teams for our inadequacies. 

If we could have beaten Israel at Hampden we would have been group winners with two games to spare. It's a bit rich trying to blame Slovakia for that.

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

When we qualified for Euro 92. Romania drew 0-0 with Bulgaria after we'd played our last game, longest afternoon ever following it on Ceefax! :ph34r:

That's the one I remember. It was 1-1  BTW.

Read after that Gordon Strachan said he "watched" the match on Ceefax as well. I think a Romanian win would have knocked us out.

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I've never forgiven Seaman for that. He let that goal in deliberately. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise. Bawbag. :lol:

I don't know it was because I was in England then so saw the whole game or if it was some follow up show/ documentary but distinctly remember Southgate trying get them going again straight after conceding  - Adams just pointed to the crowd singing 'Scotland going home'.

Didn't Norway surprisingly beat Brazil in the group stages in 1998, where we lost out because of course we lost our last game anyway, but at the time it seemed just typical that we couldn't even rely on Brazil beating Norway to give us hope. 

I've a vague memory we may have needed Sweden to beat Costa Rica to have any hope of progressing in our last game against Brazil. But Costa Rica duly went and beat Sweden... and of course we lost to Brazil anyway.

Of course it's our own fault in these cases and we don't necessarily notice the other times when results do go our way.

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

correct. I was frustrated at Craig brown... instead of going for more goals we sat back to defend our one goal advantage 

Living in England I only saw the highlights so put it down as typical glorious failure.  

Wasn't until years later heard the interviews where they decided to protect the 1-0 lead after England went 4-0 up rather than trying to get another for insurance - honestly couldn't believe how stupid it sounded, granted in hindsight, but that was a total fuck up really! 

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I don't know it was because I was in England then so saw the whole game or if it was some follow up show/ documentary but distinctly remember Southgate trying get them going again straight after conceding  - Adams just pointed to the crowd singing 'Scotland going home'.

Seaman was leading the singing. Fukin bawbag.

8 hours ago, exile said:

Didn't Norway surprisingly beat Brazil in the group stages in 1998, where we lost out because of course we lost our last game anyway, but at the time it seemed just typical that we couldn't even rely on Brazil beating Norway to give us hope. 

I've a vague memory we may have needed Sweden to beat Costa Rica to have any hope of progressing in our last game against Brazil. But Costa Rica duly went and beat Sweden... and of course we lost to Brazil anyway.

Of course it's our own fault in these cases and we don't necessarily notice the other times when results do go our way.

Both correct. Situation was results going against us even when we fuucked it up ourselves.  

Thing about that 1990 World Cup was we still had a chance of going through after the Brazil match as one of the best third place teams had Uruguay not beaten South Korea the next night. Needless to say Uruguay scored their winner in the 92nd minute.