World Cup Draw - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Just realised what could happen here...

We finish second in the group and get into play offs. England slip up home and away against Poland and end up second in the group. Guess who we draw in the play offs...

Not being cocky assuming we’ll be second, just a scenario that occurred to me!

That could’ve happened in literally any previous qualifying campaign in the last 20 odd years (and did in 1999) with the exception of the last Euros campaign. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That could’ve happened in literally any previous qualifying campaign in the last 20 odd years (and did in 1999) with the exception of the last Euros campaign. 

But we'd still have to DRAW England out of the hat. Many other teams we could get. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That draw guarantees there will be some right good teams in the play-offs. 

For once probably our best chance of qualifying is to win the group!

Spot on.

Normally we have no chance in our group and are playing for a play off spot before kickoff.

Playoffs this time round are twice as hard as normal.

Probably the best chance of qualification we have had since 1998

Whatever the fixtures are, it is imperative that we get off to a good start,looking over previous two UEFA World Cup qualification, for automatic qualification 24 points should be our minimum target - win all of our home games, and 3 other away wins at a minimum seems with a draw for good measure.  We can only afford two losses tops I reckon.  

2018 World Cup - Group winners had an average of 25.5 points

2014 World Cup - Group winners had an average of 24 points

20 points is usually enough for play offs I think. 12 points is a must from the lowest two teams then 4 points v Israel and same v Austria would be formula for 2nd imo. To win group need win v Denmark and 23 points could be enough if they lose in Austria and draw in Israel.

Playing the long game aswell....this group offers a cracking chance of breaking into pot 2 for the next euros draw. Important at least to start qualifying consistantly for euros now and that would put team in very strong position.

For World cup draws don't think being in pot 2 or 3 makes a huge different. Will still very likely get a major team from pot 1 (not this time for once) and don't think there was much difference in quality between pots 2 and 3.

Very happy with the draw.

Denmark are the best top seeds we could have drawn, and Austria - whilst a very decent side these days - it could have been a lot worse.

It was always going to be Israel. Whilst we have struggled against them, we surely can get over the hoodoo, surely! They are a decent side under their new boss too, so they may well beat Austria again or even Denmark too. They'll no doubt be fancying at least pushing for third in this group.

Faroes are ever improving and had a fantastic Nations League campaign, but I still think we'll be able to win 2-0 or so over there and at least get six points. With their recent form, they may well be able to help us out as well and repeat their historic victory over Austria, and what they would give to get one over their colonisers the Danes.

I thought Moldova and Malta were probably the worst/hardest pot 6 seeds to draw. We can't really complain considering we were drawn a very decent group. If you were to give me this group today, I'd have tried to plead with you to give us someone other than Israel, but I most certainly would have taken this.

This is our BEST and kindest draw in YEARS. Every game will be difficult including Moldova away ; but there is not a Spain, France, Portugal, or Turkey, Switzerland, Russia etc where we would almost be giving up a lot of points.

We need to find a way of winning away from home, and if not winning then grabbing draws in Vienna or Copenhagen to have any chance in this group. It's no use taking 4pts from Denmark or Austria and then 2 pts from Moldova or Israel. Then again, stating the obvious, but if we fail to improve abroad or beat the teams in this group then we don't deserve to go to a WC.

A very kind draw for us.

As for England, can it get any easier than that! Poland and Hungary (very much improved) but they are two of the weaker top seeds not to mention Albania, Andorra and San Marino. They might end up with a +30 goal difference!

3 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Very happy with the draw.

Denmark are the best top seeds we could have drawn, and Austria - whilst a very decent side these days - it could have been a lot worse.

It was always going to be Israel. Whilst we have struggled against them, we surely can get over the hoodoo, surely! They are a decent side under their new boss too, so they may well beat Austria again or even Denmark too. They'll no doubt be fancying at least pushing for third in this group.

Faroes are ever improving and had a fantastic Nations League campaign, but I still think we'll be able to win 2-0 or so over there and at least get six points. With their recent form, they may well be able to help us out as well and repeat their historic victory over Austria, and what they would give to get one over their colonisers the Danes.

I thought Moldova and Malta were probably the worst/hardest pot 6 seeds to draw. We can't really complain considering we were drawn a very decent group. If you were to give me this group today, I'd have tried to plead with you to give us someone other than Israel, but I most certainly would have taken this.

This is our BEST and kindest draw in YEARS. Every game will be difficult including Moldova away ; but there is not a Spain, France, Portugal, or Turkey, Switzerland, Russia etc where we would almost be giving up a lot of points.

We need to find a way of winning away from home, and if not winning then grabbing draws in Vienna or Copenhagen to have any chance in this group. It's no use taking 4pts from Denmark or Austria and then 2 pts from Moldova or Israel. Then again, stating the obvious, but if we fail to improve abroad or beat the teams in this group then we don't deserve to go to a WC.

A very kind draw for us.

As for England, can it get any easier than that! Poland and Hungary (very much improved) but they are two of the weaker top seeds not to mention Albania, Andorra and San Marino. They might end up with a +30 goal difference!

Good post. 

I think the encouraging thing looking at recent results in the Euro qualifiers is that Denmark failed to beat the Rep.Ireland twice (2 draws) and drew in Georgia (though we know what its like over there!) whilst Austria lost 3 times including in Israel  (4-2) and in Latvia (ranked 29 places below the Faores) 1-0. Whilst both have some very good individual players they are certainly beatable if we play as we did for well over an hour in Serbia on a more consistent basis. Neither are significantly better sides than the Serbs in my view so it shows what is achievable. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Surely that’s always the best chance to qualify?

Not if you've got a stinking hard top seed to play.

Finish second this time and we could need to win 2 games against stronger teams than anyone in our group. I'd imagine we'd be longer odds to get through via that route than actually win the group.

2 hours ago, davy-hay said:

Surprised they didn't use 2022 for some games.  There is a big gap in the summer with World Cup being at Christmas instead.  🤔🤔🤔

March 2022 is supposed to be the play offs but I'm surprised they're not in June 2022 (unles I've missed another obvious thing happening that month) as World cup is still pretty much 6 months away at that point so same as just finishing everything off in November before a summer world cup.

South America still has to play 14 more qualifying games by March 2022 somehow so I'm not convinced all the other qualification zones can complete their groups by that month so can see it stretching into summer 2022.

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

March 2022 is supposed to be the play offs but I'm surprised they're not in June 2022 (unles I've missed another obvious thing happening that month) as World cup is still pretty much 6 months away at that point so same as just finishing everything off in November before a summer world cup.

South America still has to play 14 more qualifying games by March 2022 somehow so I'm not convinced all the other qualification zones can complete their groups by that month so can see it stretching into summer 2022.

Don't think there will be anything in summer of 2022. 

Summer of 2023 will be used to help finish the seasons I assume, since there is a big break in the middle for w.c.

51 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

You aren’t taking into account that the domestic leagues and European competition will start earlier in 2022-23 season due to the significant break in the middle of the season. Therefore they’ll try and end the 2021-22 season a bit earlier and give the players a break especially now the Euro’s are being played in the summer of 2021. 

Also there are 3 Nation League fixtures scheduled for the first week of June 2022. That’s the next time that takes place. 

Edited by Hendricks

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

You aren’t taking into account that the domestic leagues and European competition will start earlier in 2022-23 season due to the significant break in the middle of the season. Therefore they’ll try and end the 2021-22 season a bit earlier and give the players a break especially now the Euro’s are being played in the summer of 2021. 

Got ya.  

It is a good draw which gives us a chance, but I am sure Denmark and Austria will be thinking the same. Have read comments that Israel will take points off other teams to help us, but surely there is every chance they will possibly do the same to us. Three or possibly four teams battling it out to finish top but all to play for. Have been on top of teams last few games but never finished them off so if this can be sorted I think we have a great chance.