World Cup Draw - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We have a decent chance of 2nd but even if we do get that we will probably be up against some good sides in the play offs. The WC is tough to qualify for a country of our ability who are in Europe. 

That draw guarantees there will be some right good teams in the play-offs. 

For once probably our best chance of qualifying is to win the group!

The way I see it is this, we got the best draw out of pot 1. We got the 4th hardest from Pot 2. Pot 3 Israel ( awe naw no them again!!!!) - we've failed to bet them over 90 minutes in our last three attempts and I would say they have looked like the better team in all three games. Faroe Islands are in the middle of their best run in their history. Moldova have been pure shyte recently, so the only way is up for them.

I think we will win the group but we have to win all of our home games to do it. Don't want any of this playoff nonsense.

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I haven't read the regulations, but I can't see any reason why they would need to do that.

The top 5 second place teams get their play-off semi at home, so imagine those points won't count when working it out.

(the venue of the final is random).

51 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

How the fuck can England get Albania, San Marino and Andorra in the same group!??!

It really is a ‘Lapland, Melchester Rovers, me and my mum’ scenario (for those old enough to remember the McGlashan sketch).

Even if Lewandowski rips them a new one they can still sleepwalk through that group and qualify.

Because they have earned their seeding through amassing enough points.

It's as good as it could be but given who we are, and where we are, anyone who is gung-ho confident needs some sedatives. I agree that our best chance of qualifying is to win the group as the play-off business is too harrowing for words and we would be playing much better teams than Serbia or Israel this time around.

Denmark, Austria and, as we know, Israel are all tough games but we might just get lucky if we play at our best WITH our best, and they all have setbacks, and we have a bit of luck, and they have a bit of bad luck.

We're not good enough to be complacent about playing anyone and we have no right always to expect to beat even the Faroes or Moldova. But if we're to get through we'll need to bank the 12 points against them.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

I believe it was a Robbie Williams concert at Hampden.  Think we got three penalties in the match at Parkhead. 

It was 5 nil at half time I think. 

A guy appears in the seat beside me and said have I missed much? 

He went to Hampden unaware Robbie williams was playing there

It took him 45 mins to get a taxi to parkhead 😄😄😄

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Drew 1-1 there in last days of Vogts I think in 2006 qualifiers.

Realistically have to take 6 points off them to have any chance of 2nd, Faroes aswell.

Hopefully will play them away in normal season, can see loads of call offs if that's a June 2021 game.

In June 2021 we are playing in Euro 2020 so I don't foresee many call offs!!!!!!!!!!!!

The World Cup qualifiers are played:

3 in March 2021

3 in September 2021

2 in October 2021

2 in November 2021 

So very condensed and very much during the season. The games in March could easily still see Covid issues and having everyone available and getting off to a good start, pre the Euros is going to be huge. I'd take a couple of 'easy' games to get points on the board this season and preferable if a big game one of Denmark or Austria at home. Lets leave Israel until later next year after the recent fixtures. 

It really is as good a draw as we could have hoped for. Looking at Denmark and Austria's Euro qualifying campaigns (they both made it automatically finishing 2nd to Switzerland and Poland in their groups) but both dropped points to teams who aren't as good as us. Denmark drew with Rep. Ireland twice and drew in Georgia and Austria lost 3 times including, ironically, to Israel (4-2) and in Latvia!  Obviously we know all about Israel but the fact remains we should be beating them and when you look at the Faroes and Moldova's records they lost 18 games out of 20 with a win each against the mighty Malta and Andorra. Great opportunity.

Another interesting thing to note is that Austria have a safety net for a play off place. They sit in 6th place in the Nations League failure to finish in the top 2 in your qualifying group, lets ensure all the big teams are there scam!!!

France 

Belgium

Italy 

Spain

Wales

Austria

There seems next to a 0% chance that those first 4 aren't 1st or 2nd in their respective groups which means that Austria will have a play off place whatever. Obviously their target will still be to win the group for automatic qualification but they may not be that motivated late in the campaign with a play off locked up automatic has gone. Therefore Austria at Hampden late next year might be what we want. 

Edited by Hendricks

4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Another interesting thing to note is that Austria have a safety net for a play off place. They sit in 6th place in the Nations League failure to finish in the top 2 in your qualifying group, lets ensure all the big teams are there scam!!!

France 

Belgium

Italy 

Spain

Wales

Austria

There seems next to a 0% chance that those first 4 aren't 1st or 2nd in their respective groups which means that Austria will have a play off place whatever. Obviously there target will still be to win the group for automatic qualification but they may not be that motivated late in the campaign with a play off locked up already if that is gone. Therefore Austria at Hampden late next year might be what we want. 

Nations League qualifiers are unseeded and will get an away draw in the play offs so something Austria will want to avoid even if they’re guaranteed a spot.  

27 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Yep, it was. Boyd (mattress ad man)  hat-trick, iirc. That was the start of an enjoyable few months going to watch Scotland. Of course it ended in tears.

Boyd got 2, only reason i remember is cos i had money on him for a hat trick.

58 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

In June 2021 we are playing in Euro 2020 so I don't foresee many call offs!!!!!!!!!!!!

The World Cup qualifiers are played:

3 in March 2021

3 in September 2021

2 in October 2021

2 in November 2021 

So very condensed and very much during the season. 

Surprised they didn't use 2022 for some games.  There is a big gap in the summer with World Cup being at Christmas instead.  🤔🤔🤔