World Cup Draw - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We will probably never have a better chance. No Italy or Germany. The others will take points off Denmark I think. Israel will be our most difficult task I feel.

Mind that hurt us in our Germany, Poland, Ireland group though!

2 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

Moldova we won 2-0 at hampden but it was stoppage time 2nd goal.

1-1 away to them

Was about to rip in to how terrible the starting line up was against them at away from home, remembering that it was Stevie Thompson and Stevie Crawford up front..but we actually started Barry Ferguson, Darren Fletcher, Colin Cameron, Gary Naysmith and Craig Gordon too.  

We'll still stronger now though mind. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Let's not cocky, we struggled v the faroes before. 

I’m not being cocky, we have some good youngsters like Hickey, Turnbull, Gilmour. Faroes is a great game to introduce them to international football

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I suspect Denmark and Austria are better than some are making out.

Israel could go either way; as we know.

Group H looks the easiest to me.

There's more depth to that one, Slovenia and Cyprus would be much harder to get 12 points off compared to Moldova and Faroes.

Surprised Russia were pot 3 considering their form over last 2 years.

Interesting looking at the other home nations. No chance for Northern Ireland in with Italy and Swiss and given the state ROI are in I can't see them doing much v Portugal and our old friends Serbia who seem more motivated to make world cups.

Wales in decent group but you'd rather have Danes as the top seed than Belgium which they have.

England drew arguably toughest pot 2 team so of course Uefa then gives them San Marino AND Andorra in the same group.🤣

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’m not being cocky, we have some good youngsters like Hickey, Turnbull, Gilmour. Faroes is a great game to introduce them to international football

Can remember watching the home game v them in a bar in Greece in 2006 (was at Celtic Park for some reason). Thought it would be usual mass struggle and 2-1 win but make it look ridiculously easy and seem to score from every attack, was 6 or 7 nil in the end IIRC.

Away match was a bit more of a struggle but still professional 2-0 away win.

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Sorry but you are being cocky suggesting we can just throw youngsters in against the faroes. It reeks of arrogance especially considering we have drawn with them in recent years. 

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Can remember watching the home game v them in a bar in Greece in 2006 (was at Celtic Park for some reason). Thought it would be usual mass struggle and 2-1 win but make it look ridiculously easy and seem to score from every attack, was 6 or 7 nil in the end IIRC.

the team we had that year though.   went on to beat france twice and also beat Ukraine at home in some style.  

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

I believe it was a Robbie Williams concert at Hampden.  Think we got three penalties in the match at Parkhead. 

How the fuck can England get Albania, San Marino and Andorra in the same group!??!

It really is a ‘Lapland, Melchester Rovers, me and my mum’ scenario (for those old enough to remember the McGlashan sketch).

Even if Lewandowski rips them a new one they can still sleepwalk through that group and qualify.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but you are being cocky suggesting we can just throw youngsters in against the faroes. It reeks of arrogance especially considering we have drawn with them in recent years. 

So who would you introduce them against. Israel, Austria, Denmark? 

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

So who would you introduce them against. Israel, Austria, Denmark? 

I would only introduce them if they are good enough to play international football. Who that is against will more depend on what first team players are unavailable. Its arrogant to suggest we can let a bunch of our youngsters play against the faroes. 

Edited by mccaughey85

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I would only introduce them if they are good enough to play international football. Who that is against will more depend on what first team players are unavailable. Its arrogant to suggest we can let a bunch of our youngsters play against the faroes. 

Mate, give it a rest

6 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

How the fuck can England get Albania, San Marino and Andorra in the same group!??!

It really is a ‘Lapland, Melchester Rovers, me and my mum’ scenario (for those old enough to remember the McGlashan sketch).

Even if Lewandowski rips them a new one they can still sleepwalk through that group and qualify.

Not sure it's a great draw for England. Looks very much like a two legged affair for top spot.

Just now, ThistleWhistle said:

Already wondering when Faroes play Moldova - imagine it's last and we're needing one to finish 5th so we get 6 points instead of 3 or 4!

That doesn't come into play this time round. Group winners qualify. All 2nd place teams go into the playoffs.