World Cup Draw - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

Quite a few teams can't draw each other by looks of it.....also trying to cut travel down.

• Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Kosovo / Bosnia, Kosovo / Serbia, Kosovo / Russia and Russia / Ukraine.
  • Winter venues:A maximum of two teams whose venues are identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Ukraine.
    • The two "hard winter venues" (Faroe Islands and Iceland) generally cannot host games in March or November, and therefore cannot be drawn together; the others shall play as few home matches as possible in March and November.
  • Excessive travel:A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Azerbaijan: with Iceland, Gibraltar, Portugal.
    • Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
    • Kazakhstan: with England, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

7 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

When does the match schedule come out?   Should I be thinking about Sky Scanner yet?   I feel weird just mentioning the possibility of that :huh:

Is it not the day of the draw now too? No more negotiations required, the computer just spits out the fixture lists...

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

When does the match schedule come out?   Should I be thinking about Sky Scanner yet?   I feel weird just mentioning the possibility of that :huh:

UEFA said "within 24 hours", but you might here something late tonight (around 10pm).... I have my doubts we will hear anything tonight, as the draw starts at 6pm (CET) and will probably be 7pm (CET) before its over.... in past first fixtures have usually been 3-4 hours later, so first group of fixtures might be out around 10pm (GMT), but remember for the last set of Euro fixtures we were one of the last to get our full fixtures list and that was a good 5-6 hours after the draw.

I would be reluctant to book anything for March, as I suspect UEFA will still have their away fans ban and at best limited number of fans in Stadiums, so post-Euro games are best chance for an away game.

28 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Given that we don't yet know whether vaccinees can still transmit the virus (even if they don't get ill themselves), I have doubts over the whole schedule for away fans.

Yep, IMHO March is a write-off and hope its 2 homes and an away game, so we can at best get limited access to games at Hampden.

UEFA to make their final decision on fans at Euro 2020 in March, so I doubt their opinion on qualifiers will change while that up in the air.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Yep, IMHO March is a write-off and hope its 2 homes and an away game, so we can at best get limited access to games at Hampden.

UEFA to make their final decision on fans at Euro 2020 in March, so I doubt their opinion on qualifiers will change while that up in the air.

I would prefer three away games in March. Get them out of the way with before fans get back into grounds in any large numbers. Maybe by September we will be able to fill Hampden again. Unless, of course, we have already lost our first three away games to Moldova, Kasakhstan and Israel. In which case we we might struggle to get a 10,000 crowd, COVID or no COVID. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would prefer three away games in March. Get them out of the way with before fans get back into grounds in any large numbers. Maybe by September we will be able to fill Hampden again. Unless, of course, we have already lost our first three away games to Moldova, Kasakhstan and Israel. In which case we we might struggle to get a 10,000 crowd, COVID or no COVID. :lol:

From a fans point of view, expecting a group that is half tasty and other half made up of Israel, Slovakia and Lithuania.... and all the tasty games from a fans point of view are away during the March triple header 😂

14 minutes ago, wanderer said:

From a fans point of view, expecting a group that is half tasty and other half made up of Israel, Slovakia and Lithuania.... and all the tasty games from a fans point of view are away during the March triple header 😂

Aye, it doesn't matter what we get. Somebody won't be happy about it. :lol:

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I'm going for England, Wales, Us (or NI/ROI), Israel, Faroes, Gibraltar  

16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Quite a few teams can't draw each other by looks of it.....also trying to cut travel down.

• Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Kosovo / Bosnia, Kosovo / Serbia, Kosovo / Russia and Russia / Ukraine.
  • Winter venues:A maximum of two teams whose venues are identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Ukraine.
    • The two "hard winter venues" (Faroe Islands and Iceland) generally cannot host games in March or November, and therefore cannot be drawn together; the others shall play as few home matches as possible in March and November.
  • Excessive travel:A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Azerbaijan: with Iceland, Gibraltar, Portugal.
    • Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
    • Kazakhstan: with England, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

That excessive travel one is a nonsense. If you are too far away to be classed as Europe, then perhaps you are not European. 

Iceland can’t fly to Cyprus but can fly to Turkey?

J

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

That excessive travel one is a nonsense. If you are too far away to be classed as Europe, then perhaps you are not European. 

Iceland can’t fly to Cyprus but can fly to Turkey?

J

Quick google and it looks like Cyprus is 800 odd miles further away than Turkey.

How the heck any one can make any sense of the draw restrictions is beyond me.

Pretty hard to get Kazakhstan again by the looks of it. Be as well by drawing their group first to simplify things.

On the bbc red button also FYI. “Only” an hour it seems to be on for which is quicker than normal I think. 

I’ll go: 

Portugal

Serbia

Scotland 

Belarus

Faroe Islands 

Moldova

Some excitement to watch at least...