World Cup Draw - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

53 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Triple header in March then seven games between September and November. 

Your credit card will be red hot ;)

And at least 3 in June.....     

Unlikely to be priced at £15 each either......

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

All the second place teams get a play off this time I just want to avoid the four teams seeded to be in the five team groups!

Sometimes it’s good to have a really good pot 1 team who will beat every other team home and way. If Germany had done that a few years ago instead of just beating us home and away we’d have at least got to the playoffs I think. 

WANT

• Pot 1
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
  • Pot 2
    • Slovakia
    • Romania
    • Sweden
  • Pot 4
    • Luxembourg
    • Belarus
    • Albania
  • Pot 5
    • Andorra
    • Faroe Islands
  • Pot 6
    • Malta
    • Moldova
    • Liechtenstein
    • Gibraltar
    • San Marino

DON'T WANT

• Pot 1
    • France
    • England
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • Germany
  • Pot 2
    • Wales
    • Switzerland
    • Ukraine
    • Serbia
    • Turkey
  • Pot 4
    • Bosnia-Herzegovina
    • Slovenia
    • Montenegro
    • North Macedonia
    • Bulgaria
    • Israel
    • Georgia
  • Pot 5
    • Cyprus
    • Kazakhstan
    • Lithuania

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

WANT

• Pot 1
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
  • Pot 2
    • Slovakia
    • Romania
    • Sweden
  • Pot 4
    • Luxembourg
    • Belarus
    • Albania
  • Pot 5
    • Andorra
    • Faroe Islands
  • Pot 6
    • Malta
    • Moldova
    • Liechtenstein
    • Gibraltar
    • San Marino

DON'T WANT

• Pot 1
    • France
    • England
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • Germany
  • Pot 2
    • Wales
    • Switzerland
    • Ukraine
    • Serbia
    • Turkey
  • Pot 4
    • Bosnia-Herzegovina
    • Slovenia
    • Montenegro
    • North Macedonia
    • Bulgaria
    • Israel
    • Georgia
  • Pot 5
    • Cyprus
    • Kazakhstan
    • Lithuania

Another poster saying avoid Switzerland. i really don't see this. a small country who have punched above their weight recently but now on the way down. File under Iceland. 

This is the tier 2 country I want most.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Another poster saying avoid Switzerland. i really don't see this. a small country who have punched above their weight recently but now on the way down. File under Iceland. 

I'd take Wales and all - Bale and Ramsey are still decent but they're not what they were when they dragged them out of pot 4 obscurity starting over a decade ago.  Can see them being in Pot 3 soon depending on how often they can get them out in the next couple of years.    

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Have you seen Switzerland play recently?

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'd take Wales and all - Bale and Ramsey are still decent but they're not what they were when they dragged them out of pot 4 obscurity starting over a decade ago.  Can see them being in Pot 3 soon depending on how often they can get them out in the next couple of years.    

Wales were a pot 6 team when they beat us home and away. I would be quite happy to never have to play them again.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have you seen Switzerland play recently?

Don't see many greens in the pic. still think they are a team in decline. Players like Shakiri, Xhaka and lichsteiner best days are behind them.

Ajeti would get a game for us but hardly a world beater.

Not saying they are a poor side but would rather play them than Poland or Wales. ( if Bale and Ramsey are fit and able) 

image.png.4cf46cc7390f19275d6f4d1f59a3cb61.png

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Wales were a pot 6 team when they beat us home and away. I would be quite happy to never have to play them again.

There's probably about three quarters of Europe I would happily not play again and a couple of new additions in Asia to add to that list :)

Thought Charlie Adam vs Bale can't be as bad as I remember  - watched the highlights and its actually worse!  Walked 20 yards away from Bale then pretty much just watched him sprint by him.  

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

There's probably about three quarters of Europe I would happily not play again and a couple of new additions in Asia to add to that list :)

Thought Charlie Adam vs Bale can't be as bad as I remember  - watched the highlights and its actually worse!  Walked 20 yards away from Bale then pretty much just watched him sprint by him.  

Indeed, that is a long list. Anyway looking forward to old or new challenges in the draw

55 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Still makes me Mad ... 😠😡😠😡

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

They are consistant qualifiers though. Think they've only missed euro 2012 in last decade. Sort of team that are pretty tough to beat at home and would be capable of coming to Hampden and getting a point.

In nations league they still drew twice with Germany, 1-1 at home to Spain and only lost 1-0 away so they know how to defend and grind out results.

Much rather have Romania who rarely qualify for tournaments now and never replaced 90s golden generation with likes of Hagi.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:46 AM, Burj_Alba said:

From pot 1 I would take Croatia ( again) , obviously Denmark, a rising side but not a Belgium or France yet, or our neighbours down the road. 

Don't think there is a really outstanding side in pot 2 but would prefer to avoid Poland. No idea why people want to avoid Switzerland (on a football or travel level) , nothing special in my view.

Pot 4 is where we hit problems, for historical reasons Macedonia, Israel, Georgia and maybe even Slovenia send shivers down my spine.

Should beat anyone from pot 5 and 6 but probably avoid Kosovo as we never do well in these sort of away matches.

Yea, they are weird groupings this time. Weird in that they are about right. The pot 2s really are beatable. No random Frances or Holland’s slipping down that we inevitably get.

Not that I know anything about them, but Romania being in pot 2 would be great. 

You are right, it’s the pot 4 that will make or break us. From Israel/Bosnia to Luxembourg. What a swing in quality.

J

13 hours ago, Orraloon said:

They were actually a pot 5 team but undoubtedly the best pot 5 team in the draw at that time and on the rise. Was such bad luck that instead of 6 point San Marino we got 0 point Wales.

Bizarrely we beat the Croatia home and away that campaign. 

WC 14 was a rock solid group and shows being in pot 4 is a nightmare.

Belgium

Croatia

Serbia

Scotland

Wales

Macedonia

Impossible group.

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

They were actually a pot 5 team but undoubtedly the best pot 5 team in the draw at that time and on the rise. Was such bad luck that instead of 6 point San Marino we got 0 point Wales.

Bizarrely we beat the Croatia home and away that campaign. 

WC 14 was a rock solid group and shows being in pot 4 is a nightmare.

Belgium

Croatia

Serbia

Scotland

Wales

Macedonia

Impossible group.

Are you sure about that? I think Macedonia were the pot 5 team. Could be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Yea, they are weird groupings this time. Weird in that they are about right. The pot 2s really are beatable. No random Frances or Holland’s slipping down that we inevitably get.

Not that I know anything about them, but Romania being in pot 2 would be great. 

You are right, it’s the pot 4 that will make or break us. From Israel/Bosnia to Luxembourg. What a swing in quality.

J

To be fair to Luxembourg. The aren't as bad as they used to be. They got some pretty decent results in the last Euro qualifiers again. And they finished 2nd in their Nations League C group. They still had a chance of winning that group going into the last game.

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you sure about that? I think Macedonia were the pot 5 team. Could be wrong though.

I think you are right. Even worse a draw. Looking at the group standings again. Wales were rank and finished below us! Just took 6 points off of us. Crazy! Even Macedonia beat them. Looking back, that group was even worse than the Euro 2008 group of death. At least we had a good team in 2006/2007.

J

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Wales were deffo bottom seed in the group....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

We beat the top seeds home and away and lost to the bottom seeds home and away. I'd doubt that's ever happened any other time in World Cup qualifiers history!

Edit...apologies, quoted the wrong post!

Edited by Toepoke

On 11/19/2020 at 2:20 PM, PASTA Mick said:

WANT

• Pot 1
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
  • Pot 2
    • Slovakia
    • Romania
    • Sweden
  • Pot 4
    • Luxembourg
    • Belarus
    • Albania
  • Pot 5
    • Andorra
    • Faroe Islands
  • Pot 6
    • Malta
    • Moldova
    • Liechtenstein
    • Gibraltar
    • San Marino

DON'T WANT

• Pot 1
    • France
    • England
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • Germany
  • Pot 2
    • Wales
    • Switzerland
    • Ukraine
    • Serbia
    • Turkey
  • Pot 4
    • Bosnia-Herzegovina
    • Slovenia
    • Montenegro
    • North Macedonia
    • Bulgaria
    • Israel
    • Georgia
  • Pot 5
    • Cyprus
    • Kazakhstan
    • Lithuania

There's none of those pot 2 teams that I would say we've no chance against, home or away

TBH, I'd quite fancy Wales and hopefully time for some payback. They have on paper a worse squad than us outwith Bale and Ramsey.

Pot 2 teams none are super scary, and don't mind really whoever we draw. Pot 4 is a different story and can see a few 1-0 away defeats in there for us, if we are not at the races or can't score.

33 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

TBH, I'd quite fancy Wales and hopefully time for some payback. They have on paper a worse squad than us outwith Bale and Ramsey.

Pot 2 teams none are super scary, and don't mind really whoever we draw. Pot 4 is a different story and can see a few 1-0 away defeats in there for us, if we are not at the races or can't score.

I’d say their squad is pretty similar but then you have those two world class players one of which is in the top 10 players in world football