World Cup Draw - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Draw

Toepoke

Bizarre thing is, I’d take them again as I believe we could take 6 points off them, particularly if the squad strengthens as looks likely (ok, possibly not too much by March). But then again I thought we had enough to  do likewise in this group, but we didn’t, preferring instead to, well, I’m not sure really.

Ideal group for me (I do enjoy this when it comes around!)...

Denmark

Bales or Slovakia

Luxembourg

Andorra

maybe Gibraltar and I can stay at a pal’s house in Spain.

From pot 2, I don’t particularly want Austria, as I think they are on the rise, although I enjoy the Ernst Happel.

Romania aren't that strong, only drew home and away with Northern Ireland so think they're the weakest from pot 2.

Would be fine with Serbia and Slovakia.

A fair few tricky teams in pot 4 imo. Past history with Georgia and likes of Slovenia (as we saw in 2017) and Bosnia would be very tricky to beat away and probably at Hampden aswell.

Ideally want to play someone that's a near banker at Hampden and would go in as strong favourites for away game so think Belarus would be alright.

But then I remember 2006 qualifiers (shows how s*** Scotland have been against weaker teams in group for a long time).

Similar for pot 5, think Kosovo will be dangerous team as they're improving every qualification phase and weren't far off finishing above Czechs in England's group.

Group of life:                                                              Group of death:

Denmark                                                                            Spain

Romania                                                                             Swiss

Belarus                                                                               Bosnia

Latvia    San Marino                                                          Kazhaks      Moldova (travel)

Edited by Tartan Chris

9 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Whys that? Is it just because they are the top seeds?

J

They won their League A groups and qualified for the Nations League finals. Being in a 5 team World Cup group allows those matches to be squeezed into the schedule.

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Any one else praying for a group of 6

I always prefer them just to get more points on the board. 5 team groups didn't go well in 2010 or 12. Pretty sure Norway didn't even make the play offs when they finished 2nd in 2010 aswell.

What will also be interesting is how the fixtures get scheduled. I always remember when Wales qualified for euro 2016 they somehow wrangled Andorra away in their first match and Andorra at home in their final match.

So Wales had 3 points to start (although they only just about won it 2-1) and then had Andorra as insurance if qualifying went to final game.

Saw in 2007 starting with Faroes and Lithuania really gave the campaign a good start so I'd like to play 5 and 6 very early on. Either of the two seeds early would be good aswell as sometimes there's rebuilding after a major tournament and then the favourites hit their stride midway through.

6 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I always prefer them just to get more points on the board. 5 team groups didn't go well in 2010 or 12. Pretty sure Norway didn't even make the play offs when they finished 2nd in 2010 aswell.

What will also be interesting is how the fixtures get scheduled. I always remember when Wales qualified for euro 2016 they somehow wrangled Andorra away in their first match and Andorra at home in their final match.

So Wales had 3 points to start (although they only just about won it 2-1) and then had Andorra as insurance if qualifying went to final game.

Saw in 2007 starting with Faroes and Lithuania really gave the campaign a good start so I'd like to play 5 and 6 very early on. Either of the two seeds early would be good aswell as sometimes there's rebuilding after a major tournament and then the favourites hit their stride midway through.

All the second place teams get a play off this time I just want to avoid the four teams seeded to be in the five team groups!

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Thankfully they've ditched that rubbish. If you finish 2nd in the group you get a play off.

The worst 4 group runners up will be away for the first round of the play offs though.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Onwards and upwards. World Cup qualifying draw is on 7th December. Pots now confirmed...

EnIwLWrWEAA9cmq?format=png&name=900x900

Not Israel again???!!! :ph34r:

At least we can’t get Finland. They were looking like they might be pot 4 for a while. 

I can almost guarantee we’ll either get Israel again or it will be Georgia. 

From pot 1 I would take Croatia ( again) , obviously Denmark, a rising side but not a Belgium or France yet, or our neighbours down the road. 

Don't think there is a really outstanding side in pot 2 but would prefer to avoid Poland. No idea why people want to avoid Switzerland (on a football or travel level) , nothing special in my view.

Pot 4 is where we hit problems, for historical reasons Macedonia, Israel, Georgia and maybe even Slovenia send shivers down my spine.

Should beat anyone from pot 5 and 6 but probably avoid Kosovo as we never do well in these sort of away matches.

6 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

When do the games start. ? 

Is it match 2021 or will it be after the Euro's,sept 2021.?

Thinking about it.Itmust be March

a busy international calendar next year..

Triple header in March then seven games between September and November. 

Your credit card will be red hot ;)