Griffiths - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Griffiths

dandydunn

Over the years, he would’ve buried that effort near the end there, quite possibly the one on Sunday too. 

Is match sharpness his problem, or is it deeper?

Does he have to leave Celtic to get his form back, or is he gonna be happy plodding along collecting money for very little. 

Would be a shame to be the latter, as he’s the most natural finisher we’ve had in a long time, but just can’t seem to last the pace nowadays. 

If he’s going to have a future for Scotland, he needs to play first team football regularly or it’ll have to be thanks, but no thanks. 

Edited by dandydunn

Leigh Griffiths has played about 62 minutes for Scotland this past week.

Had the balls to take the first penalty v Serbia despite not having kicked the ball beforehand.

Had 4 other shots on target - although one of those should have been buried tonight.

Should have got a shot away when put through by McBurnie on Sunday.

So, match sharpness is probably an issue in relation to being at his best.

However, isn't it significant that a non-match sharp Leigh Griffiths has been involved in so much in his 62 minutes of action this past week, in comparison to his match sharp fellow strikers?

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Is he better than Fraser or Christie in the supporting the lead striker role?

Maybe not at the moment. As I say - I’d just like to see it to make a judgement. He offers more than those two from set pieces, I’d say. However, Fraser’s pace in particular is a great asset for the team.

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is he better than Fraser or Christie in the supporting the lead striker role?

No but in certain games it could make sense for Griffith's to play beside Fraser or Christie and leave Dykes on the bench. Dykes has proved a great option especially as an out ball away from home but he is by no means undroppable. All four have great qualities but Fraser and Dykes is still my preferred two

1 hour ago, ShedShawlands said:

Seems to lack fitness and his desire to get fit has been questioned by several people.

good natural finisher and always finds space for himself in good areas but realistically, two free kicks against England aside he has done very little in a Scotland jersey over his international career

He scored a good goal against Slovenia as well. He’ll score for us again - if he can get himself fully fit and match sharp. 

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Leigh Griffiths has played about 62 minutes for Scotland this past week.

Had the balls to take the first penalty v Serbia despite not having kicked the ball beforehand.

Had 4 other shots on target - although one of those should have been buried tonight.

Should have got a shot away when put through by McBurnie on Sunday.

So, match sharpness is probably an issue in relation to being at his best.

However, isn't it significant that a non-match sharp Leigh Griffiths has been involved in so much in his 62 minutes of action this past week, in comparison to his match sharp fellow strikers?

Match sharpness is probably the issue but he has scored some crackers for Celtic off the bench recently so it’s hard to say what’s going on.

Hopefully he’ll come good for the qualifiers next March and the big one in June. 

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

He's not got many years left in football. He has an incredible chance to finish his career on a real high. He's got the ability to do it. Let's hope he realises it. 

I'd be surprised if he does. It seems to be his professionalism that is the problem. I believe that's 2 seasons in a row he's came back overweight and unfit after breaks, then struggles for months to get fit.

It's a shame as a fully fit and switched on Leigh Griffiths would be great for Scotland but as it looks he's a 30 minute impact player now. 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes got 6 months to prove himself and what better incentive than to start at a major tournament with scotland?

Pretty much this. I know he can be effective in his cameo's but can you really run the risk of taking a player to the Euro's, who can only play 30 minutes of a game? Dykes gets injured or suspended, then Mcburnie (or whoever we take) goes down injured pre match. You are left starting a guy who can only handle 30 minutes of a 90 minute game.

I think there's a bit of a myth developing around this "Griffiths can only play 30 minutes" narrative. He's not getting a game for Celtic because their manager thinks he has better options and he's lacking match sharpness due to that. If he gets a run of games he'll be fine.

Otherwise, a pro footballer who would only be fit for a third of a game would, unless they're a proper veteran and not someone in their early 30s, be chased out of the game pretty quickly as who wants to pay someone for that?

51 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I suspect if Lennon gets the bullet then griffiths will be on his way from Celtic.

Unfortunately Lennon is going no where as the board has no balls. Griff needs to play more, pure and simple. I don't know why Lennon does not go with Eduard and Griff up front, it would work in the SPL, but we all know he is a stubborn fuck and will stick with 1 up front.. I rate Griff, I just think he may need to leave to get more playing time..

37 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Unfortunately Lennon is going no where as the board has no balls. Griff needs to play more, pure and simple. I don't know why Lennon does not go with Eduard and Griff up front, it would work in the SPL, but we all know he is a stubborn fuck and will stick with 1 up front.. I rate Griff, I just think he may need to leave to get more playing time..

Lennon won't see the season out. Once it becomes obvious to the board that Celtic are a shot force under Lennon and fresh ideas are needed he'll be emptied as sure as eggs are eggs. Where will that leave Griffiths? Not sure as new manager will have his own ideas and not want to be carrying passengers.

It is a poser as to what is the best for Griffiths. He is probably very grateful for the patience the club has had with his situation and would fear getting similar treatment elsewhere (and no I am not a Celtic fan) as other clubs may not fully understand his situation. If he feels mentally better and is chomping at the bit for game time then he'd be best leaving and moving to a club that can guarantee him first team football either at another SPL club or more likely in the Championship in England.

44 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'd imagine there's a reason Griffith's isn't getting much playing time and it's not down to his talent.  How many times has Lennon publicly slated him for his attitude or behaviour this season alone?

31 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lennon won't see the season out. Once it becomes obvious to the board that Celtic are a shot force under Lennon and fresh ideas are needed he'll be emptied as sure as eggs are eggs. Where will that leave Griffiths? Not sure as new manager will have his own ideas and not want to be carrying passengers.

It is a poser as to what is the best for Griffiths. He is probably very grateful for the patience the club has had with his situation and would fear getting similar treatment elsewhere (and no I am not a Celtic fan) as other clubs may not fully understand his situation. If he feels mentally better and is chomping at the bit for game time then he'd be best leaving and moving to a club that can guarantee him first team football either at another SPL club or more likely in the Championship in England.

Good post