So then..... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So then.....

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think at this point, we would have finished bottom of a league a group, so don't think a play off spot would be that guaranteed

Last time round only one team in League A needed a playoff. Every team in League A will get a playoff (if needed) unless more than 4 League A teams fail to qualify directly. That is slightly more likely to happen next time round because there are 16 teams in League A, and 4 League B teams have been promoted, but it is still highly unlikely. It would be another new way for us to get knocked out right enough.:lol:

Just for the hell of it ( I know it doesn't mean anything in reality but it gives us an idea), if you look at how the League A groups finished up this year, and compare that to the teams that qualified directly to EURO 20/21. Only Iceland and B&H would have needed a playoff. I know I am comparing the wrong years but the principle applies in general.

To be fair every League B team got a playoff last time as well, but League B also has 16 teams this time. Overall I would say the chances of getting a playoff is much higher if you are in League A than if you are in League B. That is what the system was designed for. They wanted to make sure that League A teams get a second chance in case they fucked up in their qualifying group. 

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That is what the system was designed for. They wanted to make sure that League A teams get a second chance in case they fucked up in their qualifying group. 

Hah! The idiots. In doing so, they succeeded in giving diddies like us the opportunity to qualify. Their plan backfired.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

All depends how the format is decided, but it might be better if we remain in League B next time as well for when it comes to deciding the play-off spots for the 2026 World Cup.

I might be getting ahead of myself here though :-))

I would agree with that but if we don't win our League B group (and get promoted) it reduces our chances of a playoff spot for Euro 2024. Although 2nd in the group ( maybe even 3rd) might still get us a playoff? Maybe we should aim for 2nd place. :lol:

That's why it was important to go up to League A this time round which would have increased our chance of a EURO2024 playoff spot. Then we get relegated back to League B to increase our chances of a playoff spot for WC2026. 

As you say, all that assumes they don't change the format before then. 

4 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Hah! The idiots. In doing so, they succeeded in giving diddies like us the opportunity to qualify. Their plan backfired.

That was also part of the deal though. In order to get the votes for the first part of the deal, they decided to offer a few places for us minnows in return.

Let's cut the team a bit of slack.It ended up being there cup finals in less than a week.I think so much physical and mental effort was expended in the Serbia game,that it was a big ask for them to produce another big performance a few days later.We played really well in the first two games,and even in the Israel game,we created chances.You could see that they looked a bit jaded.Mental more than physical.Their thought process when getting into good positions,and the final pass was poor.I thought we would have won one of the last two games,but let's applaud the boys for what they achieved,and not lambast them for what they didn't .We are going to the euros.ENJOY every minute.C'MON SCOTLAND.

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would agree with that but if we don't win our League B group (and get promoted) it reduces our chances of a playoff spot for Euro 2024. Although 2nd in the group ( maybe even 3rd) might still get us a playoff? Maybe we should aim for 2nd place. :lol:

That's why it was important to go up to League A this time round which would have increased our chance of a EURO2024 playoff spot. Then we get relegated back to League B to increase our chances of a playoff spot for WC2026. 

As you say, all that assumes they don't change the format before then. 

I would've thought League B group winners would get play-off priority over those relegated from League A?

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I would've thought League B group winners would get play-off priority over those relegated from League A?

Aye we would. Win the group you get a playoff spot. But if we win the group we also go up to League A and end our chances of a WC2026 playoff spot. Because you can only get a WC playoff spot by winning a group, but by that time we are in a League A group. We are not going to win one of them.

After the great 89 minute performance in Serbia a week ago, the end to the Nations League was a huge disappointment even though we played well for large parts of both Sunday and last nights games.

I think the euphoria of last Thursday covered a lot

We were in a decent Nations League position only needing one win or two draws from our last two games to gain promotion to League A, but blew it.

Israel at home 1-1 was terrible i'd be prepared to accept it was our first game in ages

Czech Republic away was a big bonus against basically a reserve team, and we still struggled to win.

Slovakia and Czech Republic at home following the Play Off win over Israel were good results and improved performances.

Serbia for 89 minutes was brilliant. 

We have played Israel 5 times now in 2 years and only won once in normal time, and other that one point when leading the 3-1 at Hampden, never looked a better team than them.

However there has been progress, particularly in defence, but unless we score first its doubtful if we are going to win.

3 Wins ( One against reserves ) 2 Draws and 2 Defeats against the opposition we have played since September is dead average.

I'll probably get mowed down here, but upfront i'd like to try Dykes and Burke

Here's hoping for a decent World Cup draw hopefully missing Israel. 

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye we would. Win the group you get a playoff spot. But if we win the group we also go up to League A and end our chances of a WC2026 playoff spot. Because you can only get a WC playoff spot by winning a group, but by that time we are in a League A group. We are not going to win one of them.

Swings and roundabouts then, get pumped and relegated from League A and your chances are reduced for Euro24 but increased for World Cup 26.

Just happy that we have qualified for a major tournament tbh.  A good manager with signs of commitment to us.  We are lacking up front though and I think that is our major problem.  Griffiths is our natural scorer but he needs to build himself up.  I am sure his desire is there but I saw his shots on goal when he came on over the last three games and they were very weak.  Hopefully he will work on that as I know he is committed as well.  A lot to be happy about.  Stand on.

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Swings and roundabouts then, get pumped and relegated from League A and your chances are reduced for Euro24 but increased for World Cup 26.

No not really. If we had gone up to League A we would have been almost certain to get a playoff for EURO24, even if we got relegated and been the worst team in the whole of League A. It's not guaranteed but not far off. It's all about going up at the right time. We are more likely to get a  Euro playoff if we are in League A but we are more likely to get a WC playoff if we are in League B. It's all down to the different criteria for getting a playoff depending on whether the next major tournament is the Euros or the WC.

Of course, if we were good enough we would qualify directly and not need to bother about playoffs. But where we are at present, I think our most likely qualification route is through the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

After the great 89 minute performance in Serbia a week ago, the end to the Nations League was a huge disappointment even though we played well for large parts of both Sunday and last nights games.

We were in a decent Nations League position only needing one win or two draws from our last two games to gain promotion to League A, but blew it.

Israel at home 1-1 was terrible i'd be prepared to accept it was our first game in ages

Czech Republic away was a big bonus against basically a reserve team, and we still struggled to win.

Slovakia and Czech Republic at home following the Play Off win over Israel were good results and improved performances.

We have played Israel 5 times now in 2 years and only won once in normal time, and other that one point when leading the 3-1 at Hampden, never looked a better team than them.

However there has been progress, particularly in defence, but unless we score first its doubtful if we are going to win.

3 Wins ( One against reserves ) 2 Draws and 2 Defeats against the opposition we have played since September is dead average.

nailed it

unfortunately qualifying for euros has again papered over the cracks many punters are more content on the noscotland no party gash than the development of the national team

22 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Allow me to be the first to wield the mower: Burke has one asset and one only - pace. He lacks basic game intelligence as for example when he got into a good position, beating the full back but wildly over-running the ball out of play. There's a reason why he has had so many clubs and no one has kept him or been able to reform him.

9 hours ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

nailed it

unfortunately qualifying for euros has again papered over the cracks many punters are more content on the noscotland no party gash than the development of the national team

Qualifying for the euros is the first step towards developing the national side. It boosts confidence and i would rather be there than not. Im not sure what point you are making though because your post makes no sense at all. This isnt a choice between going to the euros and developing the team

Sorry if ive missed your point but its hard to decipher what you mean because you post a lot of shite.

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Allow me to be the first to wield the mower: Burke has one asset and one only - pace. He lacks basic game intelligence as for example when he got into a good position, beating the full back but wildly over-running the ball out of play. There's a reason why he has had so many clubs and no one has kept him or been able to reform him.

I wont pretend to know too much about burke but it seems to me he has failed to move on from the teenager full of raw talent, strength and pace. Watching him run the ball out of play as chased the game against israel was a real 🤦🏻‍♂️moment

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Qualifying for the euros is the first step towards developing the national side. It boosts confidence and i would rather be there than not. Im not sure what point you are making though because your post makes no sense at all. This isnt a choice between going to the euros and developing the team

Sorry if ive missed your point but its hard to decipher what you mean because you post a lot of shite.

I wont pretend to know too much about burke but it seems to me he has failed to move on from the teenager full of raw talent, strength and pace. Watching him run the ball out of play as chased the game against israel was a real 🤦🏻‍♂️moment

Youve never seen the hammered punters asleep at the game no idea what the result was out how we played

more interest in the bevvy than how the u21 game night before etc etc

least the irish fans are a bit naive and relatively new to the sport on international terms although weve supposed to have a proud heritage of the game

1 hour ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

Youve never seen the hammered punters asleep at the game no idea what the result was out how we played

more interest in the bevvy than how the u21 game night before etc etc

least the irish fans are a bit naive and relatively new to the sport on international terms although weve supposed to have a proud heritage of the game

Whit a load of pish.  How do you know what the Irish (North or South?) are like.  Yes , I have been to games where a lot of guys go for the party and get too steaming to watch the game.  Happens in every football game in club and every country.  Never been withanyone in 30 years who would like to miss the game.  You must have been going with the wrong crowd kid.

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Whit a load of pish.  How do you know what the Irish (North or South?) are like.  Yes , I have been to games where a lot of guys go for the party and get too steaming to watch the game.  Happens in every football game in club and every country.  Never been withanyone in 30 years who would like to miss the game.  You must have been going with the wrong crowd kid.

You just contradickted yoursel fannybaws