Israel v Scotland Match thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel v Scotland Match thread

ceudmilefailte

Folk need to chill.. Its been the best week in 22 years. 

Yes last 2 games havent went our way but we played well and created many chances but the ball just wouldnt hit the net and we been hit with a sucker punch each game. Sometimes it happens, thats just fitbaw.

Roll on the world cup qualifying and then the euros. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have lacked a prolific goalscorer since Kenny Miller. The fact of the matter is our goals come from our attacking midfielders as you can see by whose been in the goals for us lately in the form of McGinn, Christie, Fraser and Forrest. Only Dykes has chipped in with goals from a striker in the last couple of years if I remember correctly.

One goal in open play and a penalty?

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nothing to do with faces. Griffiths has barely kicked a ball for us in recent years. Mcburnie has and he's fluffed everything so badly that he gets rightly sagged. 

So? He has been getting increasing game time for Celtic and us and has scored for Celtic. The great chance he had from 10-yards-out was just as great a chance as McBurnie had V Slovakia and got slagged for missing.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We are no better than when McLeish left. We are no better than when Strachan left. We are no better than when Levein left..............................................I could go on. Changing the manager doesn't help. Our players just aren't good enough. We have enough average players to fill a couple of teams but we are missing those 2 or 3 top class players who could make the difference. I can't see where they are going to come from though.

We are defo better overall but not clinical enough up front yet.

A better manager IMO and several more players at a higher level and in form.

Just blew it in the last 2 matches in which I thought we should have won both by a couple of goals on overall chances.

26 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

I know its been said once or twice but WTF does McBurnie bring to the party, no pace, terrible technique and not really that good in the air.

You can't blame mcburnie.That's just crazy.He came on as a sub.Where was dykes tonight.Bang average.He played for an hour or more and did nothing.If nothing else,at least be fair.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

So? He has been getting increasing game time for Celtic and us and has scored for Celtic. The great chance he had from 10-yards-out was just as great a chance as McBurnie had V Slovakia and got slagged for missing.

Griffiths has barely played for us. Mcburnie has played loads this past 2/3 years and has been utter shit each and every time. 

1 minute ago, fringo said:

We are defo better overall but not clinical enough up front yet.

A better manager IMO and several more players at a higher level and in form.

Just blew it in the last 2 matches in which I thought we should have won both by a couple of goals on overall chances.

But we couldn't even beat Israel at Hampden. That's why we didn't win the group.

8 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I like Griffiths. But can you imagine the outrage if McBurnie fluffed that chance the way he did?

Apart from the free kick he squaffed that chance, barely held it up once and hardly completed a pass - McBurnie would get crucified for a performance like that 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Griffiths has barely played for us. Mcburnie has played loads this past 2/3 years and has been utter shit each and every time. 

That means nothing though. a ball dropped in the penalty area to him who I'd call (and did) the other day our best finisher and he shanked it. That has jack to do with him not playing for us for x amount of time. He finished off chances like this for Celtic on his comeback after ages off so no reason why he couldn't do it tonight.

Hopefully, Griffiths will get back to fitness soon. 

Bollox. Just remembered who his manager is. 

I’d love to think that Burke could somehow learn how to play well in O’Donnell’s role, but he doesn’t strike me as having the wherewithal to do that. 

Anyway, fvck it. Bring on March and bring on the Euros.

Just now, ThistleWhistle said:

Apart from the free kick he squaffed that chance, barely held it up once and hardly completed a pass - McBurnie would get crucified for a performance like that 

McBurnie gets crucified because hes been horseshit for 3 years now and keeps on getting more chances. Griffiths was poor tonight but hes not exactly played enough for us recently for ppl to slag his performances. If he gets more chances and plays shit then he will get the same treatment mcburnie gets. 

How many times did Tierney bang the ball into the box from the left (and Burke from the right) for there to be no can’t in the box?

C’mon! Is it too much to ask to have somebody in the box ready?

Also, let’s have a different corner routine. 15 times with the floater to the Love Train ain’t working. Times like that I was almost praying for a short one, just for shits and giggles.

I feel a bit like job was done last week and it has been impossible for the lads to even get up for these games. Not really good enough TBH.

I know I certainly aren’t reacting as badly to losing two away games on the bounce as I would have been. 

Let’s not let qualifying for Euro 2020 take our minds off the fact we are straight into battle for World Cup qualification come March. Let’s not have a 3-0 v Kazakstan ever again, let alone first game up.

Still, can’t wait for June next year!

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

But we couldn't even beat Israel at Hampden. That's why we didn't win the group.

I know but I think the team/squad have improved. Should have won those games but we didn't.

I'm still more positive then I've been in several years. I think we've deserved to win the last 2 games but didn't.

That's football as they say.

But we got through to Euros whether or not  we deserved to so let's enjoy that too.

The highs and lows of following Scotland in the last 7 days (and so many decades)!

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That means nothing though. a ball dropped in the penalty area to him who I'd call (and did) the other day our best finisher and he shanked it. That has jack to do with him not playing for us for x amount of time. He finished off chances like this for Celtic on his comeback after ages off so no reason why he couldn't do it tonight.

Also that ball on the edge of their box where he dinked it to no one at the back post.

The Sparky I watched at Hibs would have leathered that into the top left. Where has the swagger gone?

J

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Its only natural not to slag a guy whos put in decent performances in the past but is just coming back into the side and has played poorly tonight. Mcburnie has never put one good performance in for us since he started playing. If Griffiths plays poorly in his next few games he will get the same treatment as McBurnie. It's impossible to slag a guy who has literally not played for us. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

McBurnie gets crucified because hes been horseshit for 3 years now and keeps on getting more chances. Griffiths was poor tonight but hes not exactly played enough for us recently for ppl to slag his performances. If he gets more chances and plays shit then he will get the same treatment mcburnie gets. 

Griffiths has played on and off for 8 years and it 20+ caps can't see a forward who can hold it up or link it up. 

McBurnie was arguably the best of our forwards tonight although the bar was low.

1 minute ago, fringo said:

I know but I think the team/squad have improved. Should have won those games but we didn't.

I'm still more positive then I've been in several years. I think we've deserved to win the last 2 games but didn't.

That's football as they say.

But we got through to Euros whether or not  we deserved to so let's enjoy that too.

The highs and lows of following Scotland in the last 7 days (and so many decades)!

You are not wrong.

We have definitely had the whole spread of emotions. I would argue we had it in one game v the Serbs. We even got the teaser of crushing disappointment, before being given the strange feeling of joy.

This is the path we chose.

To quote the Mandalorian.  “This is the way”.

1 minute ago, Bristolhibby said:

Also that ball on the edge of their box where he dinked it to no one at the back post.

The Sparky I watched at Hibs would have leathered that into the top left. Where has the swagger gone?

J

Its this sort of thing that needs sharpening up on. Also needs McBurnie to find form and net a few at club level and Burke too. We need strikers getting matches, building confidence and coming into our next squads full of beans and confidence. Just now that just ain't the case for Griffiths, McBurnie and Burke. I know posters here won't want to hear this but they are the best options we have up front at present and their clubs and Clarke need to get the best out of them.