Israel v Scotland Match thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel v Scotland Match thread

ceudmilefailte

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Another brick in the wall.

A match that we dominated. Created good chances. Played some nice football.

We're making progress. No, the results may not always show it, but if we progress in the rate that we have, our wins will overshadow our loses.

A few personal tweaks here and there, like, McTominay being moved into midfield and Gilmour being fast-tracked into the senior squad 

Steve Clarke has laid foundations. He's giving us a clear identity, which is something that Scotland haven't had for many years.

I'm taking the positives out of the previous two matches.

I was going to like this post (like many others before) but can't because of the silly 24 hour limit on 6 or 8 likes etc.

I've posted this again tonight on the TAMB announcements forum and even quoted my posts from 3 years ago but nothing sorted all these years later. ☹️

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Plenty of positives from these 3 games but Clarke can’t change the fact we’re a limited squad, especially in midfield and up front. 2nd in the group is probably our level but we showed against Serbia we can play better than we did tonight. 

Limited in midfield ?

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Plenty of positives from these 3 games but Clarke can’t change the fact we’re a limited squad, especially in midfield and up front. 2nd in the group is probably our level but we showed against Serbia we can play better than we did tonight. 

Would argue the midfield is where we are strongest

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I've wondered the same, but he's so effective at moving the ball from defence to attack. I think he's been key to all the good attacking play we've made over the last 3 matches. I think he has to stay where he is.

!00% behind you on that he get's the ball up the pitch which means we have to defend less.

I would hardly say he was at fault for tonight's goal.

I think Tierney and McTominay make great left and right sided defenders in a back three.

Probably been said, I'm no scrolling back. Should have used the momentum to beat the lowest placed team in the group, Slovakia . Should've made no changes other than the suspended Dykes. Big mistake from the manager. Israel a far better team than Slovakia. Big chance gone. Major reality check. 

18 minutes ago, fringo said:

I was going to like this post (like many others before) but can't because of the silly 24 hour limit on 6 or 8 likes etc.

I've posted this again tonight on the TAMB announcements forum and even quoted my posts from 3 years ago but nothing sorted all these years later. ☹️

lol. 

Thank you. I'll consider it as a cyber like. ;)

Yeah. No idea why that's in place, to be honest. Maybe people just cannot be trusted with likes. 😛

Edit: Someone has given that very post a confused face, so maybe it's to stop the rampant confusion of individuals. 😛

Edited by Taylor1996

2 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Probably been said, I'm no scrolling back. Should have used the momentum to beat the lowest placed team in the group, Slovakia . Should've made no changes other than the suspended Dykes. Big mistake from the manager. Israel a far better team than Slovakia. Big chance gone. Major reality check. 

Was very disappointed with amount of changes for the Slovakia game McTominay in particular could have played all three games.

31 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Another brick in the wall.

A match that we dominated. Created good chances. Played some nice football.

We're making progress. No, the results may not always show it, but if we progress in the rate that we have, our wins will overshadow our loses.

A few personal tweaks here and there, like, McTominay being moved into midfield and Gilmour being fast-tracked into the senior squad 

Steve Clarke has laid foundations. He's giving us a clear identity, which is something that Scotland haven't had for many years.

I'm taking the positives out of the previous two matches.

The way I'm trying to look at it is this system would be effective against stronger opposition. When we are hitting teams on the counter attack and inevitably have more space with our midfielders and wing backs overlapping. It'll work in the Euros, and now is absolutely the time to perfect the system. Not ideal against Isreal, but the bigger picture is the most important thing. This game will be forgotten.

I agree, I'd generally prefer McTominay to be in midfield, but a huge positive from tonight was seeing some excellent forward balls from both McTominay and Tierney, despite playing as CBs. They are great players to have to turn defence into attack quickly.

13 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Agreed - it was a massive error. Also, after Thursday they were about to play a 2 game series starting 3 days later where one win would almost certainly get them a World Cup Finals playoff - they really shouldn’t have been getting pished till 5 in the morning...

Note the comments about the amount of changes for the Slovakia game. 3 games in 6 days is a huge ask. Especially one of them going to extra time and penalties. Clarke had to shuffle it. And actually we produced three good performances and another day would have won the last two games comfortably. Need to be more clinical in the last third.

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Note the comments about the amount of changes for the Slovakia game. 3 games in 6 days is a huge ask. Especially one of them going to extra time and penalties. Clarke had to shuffle it. And actually we produced three good performances and another day would have won the last two games comfortably. Need to be more clinical in the last third.

No were near as many changes were made during our first triple header and the first game there also went to penalties.

No disrespect to Considine but McTominay is a massive upgrade.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No were near as many changes were made during our first triple header and the first game there also went to penalties.

No disrespect to Considine but McTominay is a massive upgrade.

Mctominay can't defend and has proven that again tonight

But he helps us get up the park

8 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Think Slovakia were in the same position mate 

34 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Don’t think Israel are a far better team than Slovakia, we also don’t have a right to beat anyone, especially away from home. 

I think the Serbia game has blinded us in some ways. Don’t get me wrong we played well in Belgrade and deserved to win but it could easily have went the other way and a lot of us would want Clarke gone.

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t think Israel are a far better team than Slovakia, we also don’t have a right to beat anyone, especially away from home. 

I think the Serbia game has blinded us in some ways. Don’t get me wrong we played well in Belgrade and deserved to win but it could easily have went the other way and a lot of us would want Clarke gone.

Don't think Israel are far better but thought Slovakia were there for the taking, we out played them with a weaker team than tonight. 

Plenty worries and the reality is we scraped thru to Euros. 

But fuck it let's enjoy it 🍻🥃

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

Don't think Israel are far better but thought Slovakia were there for the taking, we out played them with a weaker team than tonight. 

Plenty worries and the reality is we scraped thru to Euros. 

But fuck it let's enjoy it 🍻🥃

Abso fucking lutely!!

We’re at the euros and that’s all that matters.

First half we played reasonably well, but the final ball was shite. Second half we were poor, apart from a small spell. 

Saying that, I think some people have went a bit OTT here, it’s not as bad as half the pish we have seen over the years. 

Disappointing end to the week, but we are slowly improving. 

In the cold light of day we haven't actually been eliminated from anything, just one avenue has been shut down.

At the beginning of the international break we would have taken qualifying against Serbia over the other two matches. that's the way it turned out to be.

Just frustrating the position we were in.

A play off place would be achieved if Italy, France, Spain and Belgium qualified, definitely not an impossible scenario.