Malky Mackay gone - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky Mackay gone

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

The Scottish FA can confirm that Malky Mackay has today stepped down from his role as Performance Director.  

Malky joined the association four years ago and has had overarching responsibility to improve elite talent development across the game, working in partnership with the clubs to develop and deliver successful future international players and support our elite coaches. 

Malky has embedded strong core principles within the performance strategy, which have cascaded through our National Youth Teams, the Scottish FA Performance Schools and Club Academy Scotland. He has also played a vital role in further developing the Scottish FA’s renowned Coach Education curriculum and also worked on the prestigious UEFA Jira Coaching Panel. 

Malky Mackay: “As a number of qualification campaigns draw to a close and after four years in post, it feels like the right time to step down from my role as Performance Director. I would like to acknowledge the support I’ve had from my colleagues at the Scottish FA, to those at the clubs for their year-on-year co-operation and in particular to our talented team within the Performance Department for their passion, hard work and dedication.

“Together, I believe significant progress has been made during my tenure. Collaboration at its best is a powerful force for good in the Scottish game. One such example being the Pride Labs, which our club coaches have really embraced and come together to share best practice.  

“We’ve seen more players reared in Performance Schools breaking into first teams north and south of the border and playing with distinction. We have also enjoyed strong relationships with our member clubs both at board level and within the academy structure.

“At various age levels our National Youth Teams have consistently recorded excellent results against countries such as Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Germany and France. Most importantly we have done so with a consistent style of play throughout all our youth teams, one which I firmly believe will equip us to compete against our European counterparts more readily and over time give our players the platform to become top internationals of the future.

“Our Talent ID player database stretches further than it ever has and our dedicated team of staff continue to scour the UK and beyond for Scottish talent to broaden the pool of players available to our national coaches. 

“Last year, we came together as a nation to support Shelley Kerr and her staff as they led Scotland to its first FIFA Women’s World Cup Finals, in France – another ground-breaking experience I thoroughly enjoyed supporting and being a part of.

“It was also a great pleasure to be asked by the board to step in as interim manager for our national men’s international against Netherlands – an honour I’d like to thank them for and a memory I will cherish forever. 

“I am proud to have served Scottish football and to have played a part in the progress that has undoubtedly been made in more recent times.  

“I care deeply about the Scottish game and about the role the Scottish FA plays in leading and nurturing it. We have some of the most passionate, knowledgeable and committed coaches around and it’s no real surprise to me that a new generation of confident, brave and technical players are now emerging. I look forward to seeing them grow and compete with the very best going forward.”

Ian Maxwell, Scottish FA Chief Executive: “Malky has implemented a best practice framework within the performance department that has strengthened our national teams and reinforced relationships between clubs, Performance Schools and Club Academy Scotland.

“I would like to thank Malky – as a colleague, friend and former team-mate – for his considerable contribution and commitment to the performance strategy and wish him every success for the future.”

7 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

He was in the under 21 dug out with Gemmill last night, not sure if he was there in any other matches. Hopefully he didn't try to influence the team and tactics last night. If he did, it backfired spectacularly. 

It really was an off key performance. Down to Malky's magic?

No that's just the usual way a Gemmell team plays. Hopefully he and stark are next for the off.

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

He was in the under 21 dug out with Gemmill last night, not sure if he was there in any other matches. Hopefully he didn't try to influence the team and tactics last night. If he did, it backfired spectacularly. 

It really was an off key performance. Down to Malky's magic?

He’s almost always in the dugout during u19 and u21 games, balling his heid aff. 

11 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

😂

I do think colt teams may be worth a shout for a few years, though. 

Colt teams are definitely a good idea.

Fans of Montrose & Arbroath would disagree but young players development is the key to more Gilmours and the sooner colt teams are introduced the better.

Also Mackay was a good performance director & hopefully they replace him with someone decent and not a blazer wearing old guard tosser from yesteryear. 

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Colt teams are definitely a good idea.

Fans of Montrose & Arbroath would disagree but young players development is the key to more Gilmours and the sooner colt teams are introduced the better.

Also Mackay was a good performance director & hopefully they replace him with someone decent and not a blazer wearing old guard tosser from 

Why would colt teams produce better players?

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Why would colt teams produce better players?

Rather than playing youth football, they'd be playing 30 senior games of football a season, while staying at clubs with better facilities and coaches, than if they go out on loan to a similar level. They'd also be playing the same style and formation as the main side, which makes it an easier transition to their clubs main side. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Because they do In the countries who have ‘colt’ teams, is the most obvious reason. 

Ah i see so we just copy them. Seems so easy and simplistic. I cant believe its not been done before

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ah i see so we just copy them. Seems so easy and simplistic. I cant believe its not been done before

No we make it work for our country. It’s not rocket science to give our best young players 30-40 games of senior football and expect an improvement in them really is it.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

No we make it work for our country. It’s not rocket science to give our best young players 30-40 games of senior football and expect an improvement in them really is it.

Ok so how do we make it work? Which league are these colts teams going into?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ok so how do we make it work? Which league are these colts teams going into?

Clearly league 2 to start with.

Im not sure what you’re confusion or opposition to the idea is.

It’s quite obvious that having the better young players in the country playing together in a senior football environment, whilst training at the best facilities, would lead to their improvement and ultimately be good for the national team. 

This isn’t going to be 10 teams. It’s quite likely at the start anyway it would probably be only 3 or 4 clubs, maybe even just the old firm at first. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Clearly league 2 to start with.

Im not sure what you’re confusion or opposition to the idea is.

It’s quite obvious that having the better young players in the country playing together in a senior football environment, whilst training at the best facilities, would lead to their improvement and ultimately be good for the national team. 

This isn’t going to be 10 teams. It’s quite likely at the start anyway it would probably be only 3 or 4 clubs, maybe even just the old firm at first. 

Im asking you questions because you are convinced it will work. I am not convinced it will. 

You said we would make it work for our country. How would this work? So far youve said you wouldnt just copy other countries but thats exactly what you are suggesting.

So we are playing our youngsters against part time players? Id rather players were loaned to championship teams or even premiership sides to gain that experience and we continue with the performance schools which are starting to produce players.

If we are talking about a small number of colt teams why not run them under the SFA badge; it’s different but it’s less divisive. The SFA appoint a permanent manager who creates a team out of players loaned from the clubs. The SFA pays each team a loan fee for taking the player. The SFAhave a lovely big stadium sitting empty 40+ weeks a year for them to play in and there are a number of lovely training facilities around the country they could base themselves at.

if you really wanted to be innovative, you could have a league rule where any player who has been picked for the Scotland youth teams over the past year who has played fewer than x senior games is automatically to be made available for loan to the colt team.

if you wanted to be super innovative, you could have say 4 districts (Edinburgh and South, Glasgow and West, Tayside and Central, North) drawing from a draft system.

But we’ll probably spend the next year arguing over the same pitch that has already been vetoed twice rather than trying to think of something new or different.

18 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Im asking you questions because you are convinced it will work. I am not convinced it will. 

You said we would make it work for our country. How would this work? So far youve said you wouldnt just copy other countries but thats exactly what you are suggesting.

So we are playing our youngsters against part time players? Id rather players were loaned to championship teams or even premiership sides to gain that experience and we continue with the performance schools which are starting to produce players.

Why wouldn't it work? There is evidence in other countries to prove it does work, so where is your evidence to suggest it wouldn't work here? In terms of development of young players I can see no reasons against it. The only reasons against it are selfish self interest from Lower League clubs who literally offer nothing towards the development of young players in this country or the development of the game in this country as a whole. Standards need to be raised, but it continues to be dragged down by sub standard clubs with zero ambition who are happy to take their hand outs and offer nothing in return. 

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Why wouldn't it work? There is evidence in other countries to prove it does work, so where is your evidence to suggest it wouldn't work here? In terms of development of young players I can see no reasons against it. The only reasons against it are selfish self interest from Lower League clubs who literally offer nothing towards the development of young players in this country or the development of the game in this country as a whole. Standards need to be raised, but it continues to be dragged down by sub standard clubs with zero ambition who are happy to take their hand outs and offer nothing in return. 

There is no evidence it woupdnt work here nor is there any it would. It hsnt been tried in scotland. 

Im asking how it would be implemented in scotland. 

So far weve had the idea of playing the best young talent from 2 to 4 clubs against part time players. Id rather the top prospects played in the championship or lower premiership.

I also dont think it would work because big clubs from ouwith scotland have such a vast reach in terms of scouting, they sign up youngsters long before they used to.

Lets use billy gilmour as the example, had their been a Rangers colt team, would he have stuck around to play against elgin? No he still wouldve went to chelsea

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

There is no evidence it woupdnt work here nor is there any it would. It hsnt been tried in scotland. 

Im asking how it would be implemented in scotland. 

So far weve had the idea of playing the best young talent from 2 to 4 clubs against part time players. Id rather the top prospects played in the championship or lower premiership.

I also dont think it would work because big clubs from ouwith scotland have such a vast reach in terms of scouting, they sign up youngsters long before they used to.

Lets use billy gilmour as the example, had their been a Rangers colt team, would he have stuck around to play against elgin? No he still wouldve went to chelsea

your reasons for it not working are quite odd and random. 

This is the reason why many other countries have introduced it and benefited from it:

On 11/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Rather than playing youth football, they'd be playing 30 senior games of football a season, while staying at clubs with better facilities and coaches, than if they go out on loan to a similar level. They'd also be playing the same style and formation as the main side, which makes it an easier transition to their clubs main side. 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

at least i am coming with an argument. The only argument put forward for cult teams is "other countries do it"

it is the only argument if you ignore the other posts which you are bizarrely doing. I'll help you out again and then leave you to it:

On 11/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, Blantyre_Braveheart said: