Boring question - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boring question

duncan II

Probably been brought up already, but has any other nation achieved (or on the brink of achieving) back-to-back Nations League promotions? Are we, therefore, the most improved team in Europe? Or the best team in Europe? Or the luckiest team in Europe?

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Belarus and (North) Macedonia are favourites to win their groups and will therefore have gone from D to C to B.

Finland and Hungary still could follow our route from C to B to A.

Thanks. That’s a good effort. Good on Finland. I always think of them as minnows as they were in my youth but they’ve had strong teams recently. And good to see Hungary gradually getting back up there.

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

2017 - the nations league is shite, glorified friendles

2020- i fuckin love the nations league😂😂😂

Just think. If we win our group next time around (2022) we get to play in the finals (somewhere nice hopefully) against three other super teams 🤣

I think the Nations League is terrific especially for smaller teams. People joked about the lowest seeded teams in Europe getting a space at the Euros etc, but I think ourselves and North Macedonia are hardly cannon fodder qualifying (from C and D). If you look at the four teams who have qualified from the Euros ; 3 of us have went from relative strength to strength too - Macedonia look very likely to be promoted to B ; we have a great chance of going up to A tonight ; and Hungary could even win their group and head up to A too.

Also the Faroes - a very decent minnow - were promoted to the C pot last night too and have gone on a very decent run of late by playing sides around their level.

Long live the Nations League!

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I think the Nations League is terrific especially for smaller teams. People joked about the lowest seeded teams in Europe getting a space at the Euros etc, but I think ourselves and North Macedonia are hardly cannon fodder qualifying (from C and D). If you look at the four teams who have qualified from the Euros ; 3 of us have went from relative strength to strength too - Macedonia look very likely to be promoted to B ; we have a great chance of going up to A tonight ; and Hungary could even win their group and head up to A too.

Also the Faroes - a very decent minnow - were promoted to the C pot last night too and have gone on a very decent run of late by playing sides around their level.

Long live the Nations League!

San Marino made history with a 2 match unbeaten run as a result of the Nations League, it genuinely meant so much to them as well.  Great to see stuff like that

Quite an interesting question actually. Nations League has been brilliant for us. Here's a thought though,  now we've gone up a level and results are getting better what do you reckon our chances of qualifying outright are? We've now got to prove ourselves against the top countries so Dec 7th draw is going to be intriguing. 

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Quite an interesting question actually. Nations League has been brilliant for us. Here's a thought though,  now we've gone up a level and results are getting better what do you reckon our chances of qualifying outright are? We've now got to prove ourselves against the top countries so Dec 7th draw is going to be intriguing. 

Still going to be very difficult to qualify for WC 2022 given UEFA only have 13 spots as it will remain extremely difficult to win a group and gain automatic qualification. The play off route is possible but realistically we could expect higher quality opposition than Israel and Serbia in that. 

For me gaining a 2nd pot seeding and having a real go at being one of the 20 automatic qualifiers (2 per group) for the 2024 Euro's in Germany has to be a big target which in turn would help with our seeding for the 2026 World Cup where UEFA will receive 16 places due to the increase to 48 teams.  Both of these have to be medium term goals. 

Edited by Hendricks