Jump to content

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney buy Wrexham FC


Recommended Posts

Just when 2020 could not get any weirder...

 
 
I like Reynolds and McElhenney (I suspect the majority of people here aren't familiar with him. Check out "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") but I suspect that this is a vanity project.
 
Both have money to burn (Reynolds made $300m from selling his gin, alone) but football isn't as simple as that.
 
People talk about Football Manager, this is more of a case of Football Owner.
 
Both of them are nice guys, and I'm sure they'll assimilate with the fans, local community, etc, but they need to bring in football people to make this a success.
 
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about these two (by which I mean absolutely sod all) but I have a vague recollection a while ago of reading that they'd developed an interest through someone they knew that supported them? I think we're talking a few million rather than 'Prem in 5 years' sort of thinking, so more a hobby than a vanity project I think.

I've been to their ground to see Town, in fact I have a brilliant photo of a very young (as in I not only had hair but I had long hair) me on the terraces there - I'd guess around 1981. They are the sort of club that I'd like to see back in the league so hope it goes well for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I don't know much about these two (by which I mean absolutely sod all) but I have a vague recollection a while ago of reading that they'd developed an interest through someone they knew that supported them? I think we're talking a few million rather than 'Prem in 5 years' sort of thinking, so more a hobby than a vanity project I think.

I've been to their ground to see Town, in fact I have a brilliant photo of a very young (as in I not only had hair but I had long hair) me on the terraces there - I'd guess around 1981. They are the sort of club that I'd like to see back in the league so hope it goes well for them.

You don't? You've not seen "Deadpool" if not, get on it.

No one is quite sure why they chose Wrexham. There's a rumour that Rob's grandfather was a miner and Wrexham is a mining town, etc. But other than that, no idea.

They have links to Fenway Group, the ones behind the Liverpool takeover.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop. There'll certainly be more media around Wrexham, etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been on the cards for a couple of months now, I'm not sure what but I think they may have previously been talking to Hartlepool, I doubt there's any real affinity to the club.

Wrexham fans are - understandably - like dogs with two dicks as they have seriously under-performed since they dropped into the National League.

It's a bit of a running joke that they often get off to a good start, their fans get all cocky and ahead of themselves, then they have a bad run and they shut up.    There's a term in the National League to describe clubs that have dropped out of the league.  They're called BELTs which stands for Bitter Ex-League Teams.   As Wrexham were relegated in 2008, they moved on to be PELTs - Permanent Ex-League Teams - a while back.

This is a very difficult division to get out of, only the League Champions are guaranteed promotion, with the second spot going to the play-off winners.  In a 24 team (23 this season because Macclesfield were wound up) that is very tough.   An injection of cash can make the difference but it needs to be a big injection and it needs to be spent wisely.   Salford must have spent several millions getting up through the league and regardless of what people think of the owners, it would bve churlish to suggest they don't know anything about football.

One big problem Wrexham have should they move up is the ground.   The Racecourse Ground is the oldest International ground in the world that is still in use.  The problem is that it looks like it.   There was a relatively new "main" stand built around 20 years ago and there's covered terracing behind one goal which holds the home fans.  The other end is completely closed as it doesn't have a safety certificate and the large covered seated stand down the other side has severely restricted capacity for the same reasons so that only one corner is open to house away fans and that is completely decrepit.

I saw this article yesterday which I suspect points at the real motivation behind this and these sort of things never seem to end up well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-11-12/why-hollywood-s-ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenney-want-to-buy-wrexham-fc?fbclid=IwAR2aVjPB3S1zVFHUKRBqOYXPrxe-BBTTO_et8f9XA9pHxljMZx4ph_Qy0AE

Link to post
Share on other sites

They would be better getting Wrexham to join the Welsh league and within 2 mibee three years win it and get into Champions League.

However i dont see them doing this ....

 

Also noticed Wrexham is one of the Worlds oldest teams founded in 1865,  5 years before Kilmarnock- Scotlands Oldest Profesional team 

Edited by stocky
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stirlish said:

FTFY 🤪

 

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

FTFY ;)

 

l also  noticed Wrexham is one of the Worlds oldest teams founded in 1865,  4 years before Kilmarnock- Scotlands Oldest continuous Profesional team 

 

FTFM 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stocky said:

 

l also  noticed Wrexham is one of the Worlds oldest teams founded in 1865,  4 years before Kilmarnock- Scotlands Oldest continuous Profesional team 

 

FTFM 😉

We're not even that. Killie remained amateur for a few years after the professional leagues started. So the likes of Celtic, Dumbarton and Hearts have longer histories as professional clubs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

We're not even that. Killie remained amateur for a few years after the professional leagues started. So the likes of Celtic, Dumbarton and Hearts have longer histories as professional clubs.

 

cheers for that, i obviously need to increase my knowledge .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 9:20 AM, Taylor1996 said:

You don't? You've not seen "Deadpool" if not, get on it.

No one is quite sure why they chose Wrexham. There's a rumour that Rob's grandfather was a miner and Wrexham is a mining town, etc. But other than that, no idea.

They have links to Fenway Group, the ones behind the Liverpool takeover.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop. There'll certainly be more media around Wrexham, etc.

They should've bought Blantyre Vics then

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...