Stephen O'Donnell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen O'Donnell

weekevie04

I think he has really come on to a game of late.

I really like the lad, and its obvious it means a lot to him playing for us. I feared after the Russian and Belgian games, he probably wasn't good enough for that step up, but he's certainly proved his worth the unbeaten run and IMO, he's a better option than Palmer and O'Donnell is our natural right back.

He has better ball distribution, quicker thinking on the ball too.

Well done that man!

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I think he has really come on to a game of late.

I really like the lad, and its obvious it means a lot to him playing for us. I feared after the Russian and Belgian games, he probably wasn't good enough for that step up, but he's certainly proved his worth the unbeaten run and IMO, he's a better option than Palmer and O'Donnell is our natural right back.

He has better ball distribution, quicker thinking on the ball too.

Well done that man!

He was superb against Serbia.

I know that it's human nature to criticise, but I think we should all back every single player that gets called up. I've never been one to diss a Scotland player.

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In fact Gallagher looks a far better center  back in the middle of a back three.

That's what I kept saying to justify why we're more suited in a back three: strength in numbers, gaps being plugged and mistakes being dealt with by their partners.

Same reason why Considine has done well.

Add McKenna, Tierney, McTominay and Cooper to the mix, too.

Go through previous Scotland squads, look at the center backs, and just imagine how more solid we would've been in a back three. And the tournaments that we legitimately could've qualified for.

I wasn't saying it for my health.

I'm dreading Steve Clarke leaving, as you just know that the new manager will go back to a back four and reset everything. Not that I'm looking too far ahead or anything...

Edited by Taylor1996

O'Donnell has been so solid for us recently. I was also in the camp that thought he wasn't cut out for this level of football but so glad he's helped us out. I find Palmer a better attacking option particularly with his delivery.

The point still stands, O'Donnell is an absolute hero, along with the rest of the players to a man on Thursday

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't think Considine has done much, I wouldn't say he offers much in getting the ball forward in the way that McTominay and Tierney do.

Well, I'm not saying that he's the new Colon Hendry (another player who got called up late in his career) or anything, but he'll be a decent backup behind: McTominay, Tierney, Gallagher, Collins and McKenna.

39 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Hopefully O'Donnell and Gallagher will stay put at Motherwell in January (not just saying that as a Well fan.... well I am a bit...a big bit to be honest). A move, if they don't settle at a new club, could cost them their chance of playing at a major finals. 

I agree with that. A move to say either of the Old Firm clubs runs the risk of them being used as squad players and bench-warming more than playing.

53 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Sadly when we get to the finals I think our lack of quality in some positions (right back and forward) will be exposed.  Hope I’m proven wrong.

I know it doesn't sound right but in a 3/5/2 formation the apparent quality of the out and out  striker as a finisher is not that important. Even the amount of assists by said striker is not that important.  His purpose is to ensure the ball stays in the opponents half as much as possible which will lead to a lot more chances than if the ball was in our own half. That's not just "hold up " play but every time you win the ball in the air it is pretty much the same as a tackle. And our two stronger forward can also tackle on the ground and regain possession by defending set pieces.

The formation is reliant on the wing backs, attacking midfield player and who ever plays as the supporting striker.

I think it's pretty obvious that this formation will never lead to many goals by our record so far.

O'Donnell seems to be a far better wing back than he ever was a right back so I don't see why we cant be "stuffy" opposition against teams with better players than us.

Hate to say it,  but I think some one (don't own up to it makes you look evil) might have been right when he said if you don't have enough decent players in each position to play a back four play a back three. Three average center backs are better than two, a shitty right wing is back  better than a shitty right back , a great left back can make a very good wing back. Two defensive midfielders that can defend further up the pitch because your non scoring striker can keep the ball over the half way line. Technically speaking the next two places are really two attacking midfielders witch are pretty much allowed to do as they please.

Lot of reasons why we haven't been scoring or letting in goals of late.

There was nothing wrong with the performance against Slovakia, they scored we didn't that's life.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with that. A move to say either of the Old Firm clubs runs the risk of them being used as squad players and bench-warming more than playing.

I doubt either end up Rangers. Both are big Celtic fans, O' Donnell wouldn't start over Tavernier (& it would block Patterson s pathway) and Gallagher while being a good defender, doesn't suit the way Rangers play. I could see O'Donnell ending up at Celtic, they need a RB as Frimpong has been massively overplayed and hasn't been given a rest all season. 

If I'm them I'd see out the season with Motherwell, go to the euros with Scotland and put yourself in a bigger shop window. Both would be out of contract and could get a few decent teams interested and demand a good wage if they perform well.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart